Gibson Brands Forums

UPDATED! NPD......new pictures!!! demo clip to follow

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update (sorry no pics this time): dropped off the neck and body with local luthier Mark Brumitt (www.brumittguitars.com) to apply the finish. Gonna do the blood red/burgundy stain. The cap on the headstock will be a little darker than the rest. No ETA on when that will be done but I have goosebumps thinking aboot it! [biggrin]

I bought the EMG 81/60 combo (with pots and jack) via craigslist for $100 on Saturday. Met the seller at GC so bought black pup rings and jack plate while I was there.

I did some shopping on ebay and bought the Black Sperzels and a Tone Pros TOM bridge piece. Both for less than $100 (shipping included). Got neck plate, screws and tailpiece from Warmoth. All those pieces should arrive this week. My wife is gonna buy the black Schaller strap locks as a little something for Christmas. Already have a couple black dome knobs.

I'm gonna make a TRC out of walnut or Koa. The luthier said he's got spare scraps.

All that's left is a HSC and 3 way toggle. Probably gonna need a coffin case since it won't fit in a Gibson case. All this for less than $1,400 and done in roughly 5 months verses $6k+ and a 2 year wait for a real Ken Lawrence.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went by the luthier's place to drop off the neck plate and view the color sample. Holy fnck, I saw the color he sprayed on a scrap piece of maple....it looks like he really used blood. I CANNOT wait till he's done. Tiny delay...the posts in the TOM I bought were smaller than what was drilled. I asked him to pop maple in and redrill since it will be covered anyway. It's an ash body. Not gonna be able to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

My local luthier finished ahead of schedule so I picked it up today!! Here is the finish (keep in mind pictures do not do it justice). It really looks more like a blood red in person.

v001.jpg

v005.jpg

Since I got it home, I drilled everything in place except the jack plate. I may need to get a different 3 way toggle. The one I bought won't fit. The singer in my band has a bunch so I'll get one from him on Monday. Tomorrow I'm going to get a HSC for it.

I love a nice red [thumbup]

I never even considered red until Dec. '09 when I bought my Studio. I needed to spend some music money for taxes and wanted a Les Paul since I hadn't had one for decades and Lester had died. It just jumped out at me in the store and was also a GREAT player.

It's a REALLY good looking guitar and gets all the "wow that's a pretty guitar" from the babes.

Nice, Mojo........

That looks awesome. You gonna have some sort of high gloss finish on it? A polyester gloss would make it really nice and shiny. And I too like the combo of EMG 81/60. They're great for most things. I built one of these a few years ago with my dad and put an original floyd on it. I really liked it, but when someone offered me 3 times the build cost for it, I couldn't refuse. The body and neck however were hand made in our back garden without a cnc machine, so I dont think the quality would be as good as yours.

That looks awesome. You gonna have some sort of high gloss finish on it? A polyester gloss would make it really nice and shiny. And I too like the combo of EMG 81/60. They're great for most things. I built one of these a few years ago with my dad and put an original floyd on it. I really liked it, but when someone offered me 3 times the build cost for it, I couldn't refuse. The body and neck however were hand made in our back garden without a cnc machine, so I dont think the quality would be as good as yours.

No, it's gonna stay satin.

Archived