Gibson Brands Forums

You guys see this?

dem00n

Saw this in an LP bodystyle, only it was black over red. It was a pretty rough finish, body, neck AND fretboard, but it sure was a looker.

I like the Explorer. Looks cool. Would look cooler with that red coat under tha black :D

I'd like it with some passives, I like that they used swamp ash for the body. Thought you weren't a big fan of actives Dem00n.

No only EMG's, all actives suck a tone out of a guitar overall, but EMG's suck tone of guitar %100.

all actives suck a tone out of a guitar overall,

Patently not true.

Examples:

Fender Alnico Active pups.... the guitar on which I developed Chantone.

070608001.jpg

Smoking ESP active bass pups... everything from Gene Simmons to Bootsy Collins

070608029.jpg

I've not played EMGs, so that may be true, but THESE active pups are impressive :D

Gibson has done a great job in designing and making guitars in this genre......This is another fine example...

( On a side note, Epis coming out with a fine Nighthawk soon )....

Dem00n, active / passive pickups might be what the doctor orders for you...

No only EMG's, all actives suck a tone out of a guitar overall, but EMG's suck tone of guitar %100.

David Gilmour uses EMG's and he has tone for miles. Maybe your thinking of the 81/85 setup. IIRC that is the typical shredding/metal config. I've also been told that going from 9v to 18v gives you a lot more headroom.

ChanMan, active PUPs on a bass are the way to go. [thumbup] No tone sucking there! Quite the opposite, actually.

excusa please small correction, he used to use EMG's but went back to passive years ago. His black signature Fender which is what he mainly plays is all about passive no noise single coil pups. Although he has been seen playing the red strat with the emg's.

Oh. Well, the more you know, I guess...Cant really say that I follow that closely. Thanks for the corection. [biggrin]

excusa please small correction, he used to use EMG's but went back to passive years ago. His black signature Fender which is what he mainly plays is all about passive no noise single coil pups. Although he has been seen playing the red strat with the emg's.

Yep that's true. But you gotta give the EMG's some cred since Dave seemed to like them well enough to have used them in his "Blackie" at one point and still pulls out the red Strat with them. Man Dave has the tone from heaven!!!!!

Looks nice... sorry Dem00n but EMGs are a must on such a guitar.

And... one of these days I'll put a couple of tunes for you to realize it is MEDIOCRE GUITARISTS suck tone out of EMG loaded guitars, and not the pickups. [flapper][biggrin]

you mean MEDICORE [biggrin]

I LOVE the finish on this new Explorer. I LOVE the fact that it has no PG. I DO NOT love the FR [cursing] Damnit...I'd get it in a heartbeat if it had a TOM

you mean MEDICORE [biggrin]

I LOVE the finish on this new Explorer. I LOVE the fact that it has no PG. I DO NOT love the FR [cursing] Damnit...I'd get it in a heartbeat if it had a TOM

I would not be surprised if that was an actual genre :rolleyes:

I do love the look, but I wish the FR was just an option. Oh well, less GAS for Fred (once in my life)

Does it come with a killswitch? It would be a good feature, I just noticed the epiphone goth explorer (or whatever it's called) comes with one and it's the best design I've seen for one so far, it's a push switch that's on the tone knob, you just push the knob down and you kill the signal, never noticed that on that model, do other goth epis come with 'em as well?

Archived