Gibson Brands Forums

Why Do Performers Wear Black

DennisMiller

Why does practically every star performer in a band wear black? I've watched a lot of concerts on television and in person in recent months and there were times I could barely find the star on stage.

What's up with that?

If I was a musical star, (presumably with the ego to match), I would wear road worker orange so nobody would mistake me for the lighting tech.

Well traditionally it was so the musician didn't detract from the music (Just like the lighting guy). I think now days is that black makes you look skinnier and "more mysterious" msp_biggrin.gif Maybe the grungier guys don't get all the laundry service as some do so black looks cleaner.

Well, most concert shirts are printed on black Tshirts. Most of the time I'm wearing a concert shirt.

I don't like the look of blue jeans, I like black jeans.

Black concert shirt, black jeans = wearing black.

I wear a lot of camo (old BDU pants) and OD green too because it's what I own and like to wear.

I don't have a "wardrobe", I play in whatever I'm wearing and most of the time it's black, OD Green, brown or camo.

Why does practically every star performer in a band wear black? I've watched a lot of concerts on television and in person in recent months and there were times I could barely find the star on stage.

What's up with that?

If I was a musical star, (presumably with the ego to match), I would wear road worker orange so nobody would mistake me for the lighting tech.

Thanks Dennis; I've always wondered why I wear black on stage; now I know....[scared][lol] :unsure: ...

exactly, I think the musicians like to concentrate on the music more than their outfit

...unlike lady gaga: who does the exact opposite

lady-gaga-outfits.jpg

Lady Goo-Goo and Kermit are both puppets.

As to black....(same as white)....it's hip...makes a statement...even if the person wearing it doesn't know what it is!

Willy

I've worn black and other colors. Never thought about it much except, as has been written, it gives you "shape" but not an emphasis on some of the physical appearance.

At least,if you're male. <grin> (See avatar.)

I have a vid of a lady singer/guitar player I like to listen to who's wearing a black dress and it's a different sort of look from anything I'd wear. <chortle>

Seriously, I think it puts emphasis on the face and an instrument.

I keep teasing that some day I'd like to put on a black tshirt with a pack of Luckies rolled up in one sleeve, tight black jeans (I can still get away with both in spite of a creasy face), the Guild SG clone and that big mamma-jamma tube amp that usually never leaves home, put it up to the max and play Link Wray's "Rumble." Actually I'm not really kidding, but I don't see such an opportunity. @#$%#$%@

m

Yup i would suggest because its slimming and hides things, and practically everyone feels safe or comfortable in black. I dont feel overly comfortable wearing red, even tshirts but i have a couple i wear now and then, the same with green.. I have one green shirt and thats my Saskatchewan roughriders shirt.. proud of that one though .. LETS GO RIDERS!!!!!!

But yeah, black makes us feel safe almost as though we can hide in the shadows even if we're the main focus of other people. It tends to look smart even if its a casual outfit and you also dont have to worry about matching other colours or patterns to it... however as silly as this sounds you can get different shades of black. and black on some fabrics look different on others.. (yeah, i spent too many years in the tailoring trade!)

Archived