Gibson Brands Forums

Best albums of 2010?

IanHenry

Ok, it had to happen, someone had to start this topic, so it may as well be me, so here go’s.

Which are the best albums of this year (in your opinion, of course)?

My favourites are:

The Union from The Union. A great début album from an upcoming U.K band, not to be missed.

http://www.theuniononline.com/media

Bingo from the Steve Miller Band. First “new” album from Steve Miller in 18 years. I’ve never been into them, until I saw them on the Jools Holland show, here in the U.K, and they were great. Some of the tracks have shades of Peter Green to my ears:

http://www.stevemillerband.com/bingo2010.html

Tiger Suit by KT Tunstall. Kit’s a class singer song writer who just gets better and better.

http://www.kttunstall.com/

And finally Guitar Heaven, Santana. Carlos’s take on some of the best guitar tunes of all time, enough said!

http://www.santana.com/guitarheaven/

So what are yours?

Regards,

Ian. :-({|=

Black Keys- Brothers

Nothing even comes close. Even if you aren't a fan, look at it. It won iTunes album of the year, got them tons of success and even got their back catalogue to be played more on commercials, and I believe I heard they are now one of the most prolific song writers being currently played on commercials. It has brought a lot more attention to what a guy can do with a guitar (from the mainstream crowd)

And I'm seeing them on the 30th... [biggrin]

Black Keys- Brothers

Nothing even comes close. Even if you aren't a fan, look at it. It won iTunes album of the year, got them tons of success and even got their back catalogue to be played more on commercials, and I believe I heard they are now one of the most prolific song writers being currently played on commercials. It has brought a lot more attention to what a guy can do with a guitar (from the mainstream crowd)

And I'm seeing them on the 30th... [biggrin]

I was curious after reading what you and someone else said so I checked them out. This video is hilarious!! The song is pretty good too. However, I still say Black Country Communion is a better CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIn1NECpV10&feature=channel

Man, a lot of good music was released this year. My pick for best albums are

Les Savy Fav - Root For Ruin. So many great riffs and I love the organic mix. Their singer is bat **** crazy, but that is part of the charm.

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest. Crazy psychedelic pop sounds from Atlanta, GA.

Neil Young - Le Noise. Some of the acoustic tracks are too long, but the vibe and fuzz guitars on this album are a sonic delight. Hats off to Daniel Lanois.

Man, a lot of good music was released this year. My pick for best albums are

Les Savy Fav - Root For Ruin. So many great riffs and I love the organic mix. Their singer is bat **** crazy, but that is part of the charm.

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest. Crazy psychedelic pop sounds from Atlanta, GA.

Neil Young - Le Noise. Some of the acoustic tracks are too long, but the vibe and fuzz guitars on this album are a sonic delight. Hats off to Daniel Lanois.

Ah, I forgot about Neil Young... great album, there wasn't a track I wanted to skip over, and each song was unique. Truly amazing.

And DJroge, I hear you, the album is great, great for driving around late at night. That album especially because its music I can enjoy that won't "offend" the casual listener, crazy fuzzed out riffs aren't for everyone, but that album has something for everyone [thumbup]

Glad you are willing to check out new music and such

And DJroge, I hear you, the album is great, great for driving around late at night. That album especially because its music I can enjoy that won't "offend" the casual listener, crazy fuzzed out riffs aren't for everyone, but that album has something for everyone [thumbup]

Glad you are willing to check out new music and such

Yeah I liked their sound. What I don't like about it is the lack of lead guitar - I love lead guitar. Still it is good and worth a listen and even a buy probably.

Have you checked out the Black Country Communion yet? With Joe Bonamasa on guitar/vocals, Jason Bonham drums, and Glen Huges on bass and vocals it's a classic rock win situation.

Yeah I liked their sound. What I don't like about it is the lack of lead guitar - I love lead guitar. Still it is good and worth a listen and even a buy probably.

Have you checked out the Black Country Communion yet? With Joe Bonamasa on guitar/vocals, Jason Bonham drums, and Glen Huges on bass and vocals it's a classic rock win situation.

Yeah, simply amazing. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Bonamassa's last album. I bought it, then played it a couple of times but can't seem to get into it. But yeah, BCC rocked! [thumbup]

Here are my top 10 off the top of my head...(in no order)

Intronaut - Valley of Smoke

Mike Patton - Mondo Cane (really cool concept!)

Buckethead - Happy Holidays from Buckethead Limited Edition

Melechesh - The Epigenesis

Black Keys - Brothers

John 5 - The Art of Malice

Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart

Ghost - Opus Eponymous

Cloudkicker - Beacons

Buckethead - Captain Eo's Voyage

Honourable mentions:

The Sword - Warp Riders

U.S. Christmas - Run Thick in the Night

Kylesa - Spiral Shadow