Gibson Brands Forums

So this case from 1959 has a horrible smell...cant get rid of it!

dem00n

The case has this foul stench of a basement, but very very strong. Its in great condition to! I put it in the basement and put some baking soda, nothing! I then poured a whole bag of coffee beans, nothing still! Now the whole basement smells like the case, and my basement has never smelled.

So, any idea what to do?

The case has this foul stench of a basement, but very very strong. Its in great condition to! I put it in the basement and put some baking soda, nothing! I then poured a whole bag of coffee beans, nothing still! Now the whole basement smells like the case, and my basement has never smelled.

So, any idea what to do?

The inside or outside stinks? I've had good luck with dryer sheets. After a gig I toss on in the empty case, one in the pedal board case and one in my bag of cables. Give it a few days and the smell goes away.

I had a original gibson case for my 76 Recording model that smelled terrible it was a strange combination of moth balls, old peoples BenGay cream and sadly I would guess cat urine or something similar. I cleaned it carefully with a damp cloth and some upholstery cleaner that helped but it was still rank, I was actually thinking about tossing it when somebody told be to use the small odor eater balls they make for tennis or sport shoes ( I bought six of them at Foot Locker) threw them in the case and it worked great about a three weeks later I opened the case and nothing it smelled like a guitar case with only a slight chemical smell like dry cleaning, I threw five or six dryer sheets in it closed it again for another week and it was fixed it smelled fine or at least as good as you get with a 30+ year old case.

I have also heard that the activated charcoal they use for fish tanks will work but it's really messy since it's a black powder so I didn't try that but Ive been told it does work if you leave it long enough.

Try this. Get some chlorine bleach and make up a solution with 1 cup per gallon of warm water. Put the case in the shower and soak the entire case, inside and out for five to ten minutes. Wear rubber gloves and avoid getting the stuff on you. Rinse the case really good with warm water in the shower. Now all the critters and spores and stuff are dead. Next, take it in the shower with you (or without you) and wash it good with baby shampoo, inside and out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

[thumbup]

Your problem is likely must and mildew, i.e. MOLD.

Mold is a living thing, Baking soda probably does nothing and may even feed on the coffee grounds. The only way to kill mold is with chlorine bleach or Lysol. Since bleach will stain most anything of color, get an aerosol can of Lysol and spray the pajeesus out of it. Before the fog settles, slam the lid shut and leave it steep over night. Maybe even place it in the sun to warm up the box to further drive the mold killer into the upholstery. Re-treat the next day.

Leave the box open a few days for the Lysol odor to dissipate.

See if that helps.

The outside probably needs a good demoldifying too. Spray the Lysol on, then wipe out. (check for color fastness) Be sure to get into the cracks and crevasses with a small brush.

Is it an expensive case? Is it a Gibson case? If so (and if it's from 1959) sell it for a really high price and claim the smell is mojo. :rolleyes:[woot]

Sorry I can't really help you, this reminds me of an episodie from Seinfeld where his car got stinked and he couldn't sell it even for 500 bucks [lol]

Is it an expensive case? Is it a Gibson case? If so (and if it's from 1959) sell it for a really high price and claim the smell is mojo. :rolleyes:[woot]

Sorry I can't really help you, this reminds me of an episodie from Seinfeld where his car got stinked and he couldn't sell it even for 500 bucks [lol]

There's a Seinfeld episode for almost everything we do.

Craig

Demon here is the answer. Try Ordornix. I got this stuff from a friend who performs autopsies and sometimes the smell gets really bad. He says this stuff will kill that odor. It actually kills the bacteria that you are smelling, be it mold, chemical odors or rotten corpses.

I've tried it on several things including a dog that had been sprayed by a skunk and it is really amazing stuff. Plus its cheap as heck!

ODORNIX

Archived