Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite guitar color?

46 and 2

Never really thought about it 'cuz as I've said over and over, playability is my schtick over other stuff.

But... 3 variations of sunburst, four a-e are "natural," the solidbody is "natural." The bass is blue.

I wouldn't mind other colors, although I'll admit I'm not really into lotza colors. Never did care for the look of goldtop LPs and don't understand in ways why some folks think it's super. But each to their own.

m

I also like to see the wood grain and the flame. Not much for solid color guitars. My favorite would be of course my reverse fireburst (avatar) with Desert Burst, Honey Burst and Heritage Cherry Sunburst and Iced Tea all tied for second.

Alpine White would be one exception.

So many nice ones to choose from!

If I had an ES 335, I'd want cherry, unless it was an original or reissue '58 or '59, or a fat neck, in which case I'd want vintage sunburst. If I had a Les Paul standard, I'd want honeyburst, but a custom would have to be in black. And if I had a carved-top LP with P90s, I'd want a goldtop. If I had a full-body jazzer with a mahogany neck (ES 175), I'd want sunburst with a nice simple brown for the neck. If I had a full-body jazzer with a maple neck (L 5), I'd still probably go for burst, but you might talk me into natural or cherry, because the burst always seems to be carried over onto the neck, and it looks cheap to me. It's for that very reason that I cherrysh my Howard Roberts in cherry. The single colour suits that neck better than sunburst. I'm gunning for a slope-shoulder jumbo in sunburst, but if I were looking at an SJ 200, I might well want natural. With Fenders anything goes, but a butterscotch Tele is king. A Gretsch looks best in orange or white. Ah, if I were a rich man, diddle-diddle-diddle-dum.

But if I had to choose just one colour, it would have to be vintage sunburst. When I first really fell in love with a guitar, that was the colour that I saw...

Honestly though, color is usually my least concern. When I bought my LP, I was really looking for a gold top, but fell in love with my current #1, even though the natural finish was not very high on my list. I tend to gravitate toward solid colors, but if I found a burst that played and sounded like I wanted it to, it would still come home with me. On a fender, I would go with almost any solid color. At one point I was on the verge of trading my black Stratocaster for one of the MIJ Dinosaur Jr. Jazzmasters, but I just could not get passed the hideous purple sparkle finish. That is the only time color has been a deal-breaker for me.

002.jpg

White is really where its at for me. Could be due to Buckethead's choice in finishes [wub]

Koa and bursts, black and most natural wood colors like Cherry. Fenders I really like the aged white ones.

I'm not overly particular on color generally, I don't like the Fender pastels at all so all, don't like blue guitars and usually dislike anything with a pattern or graphic built into it. I really like the Gibson gold tops but other sparkle and metallics not so much even silver-bursts for some reason don't do much for me.

Archived