Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i gotta say thanks guys, over 1600 views and 170 replies...the most one of my threads has ever achieved [laugh]

now for my final word...this version shtis all over hendrix's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0

[flapper]

Sorry, this is the same crap logic that's used to justify SRV crappin' all over Hendrix too.

Who are they imitating? Jimmy~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was the innovator? Jimmy~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/2 the damn notes Moore plays on those shredder licks he plays don't even belong in the key he's playing in.

Drives me nuts. Fast does NOT = Good!

Said it before and I'll say it again. Moore is a good player. He would be great IMO if he would slow the frack down, choose the notes he plays better, and put more feeling into "the BLUES@!:+"

Any questions?

Sorry, this is the same crap logic that's used to justify SRV crappin' all over Hendrix too.

Who are they imitating? Jimmy~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was the innovator? Jimmy~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/2 the damn notes Moore plays on those shredder licks he plays don't even belong in the key he's playing in.

Drives me nuts. Fast does NOT = Good!

Said it before and I'll say it again. Moore is a good player. He would be great IMO if he would slow the frack down, choose the notes he plays better, and put more feeling into "the BLUES@!:+"

Any questions?

Don't go draggin' Stevie ray into this, and let's not forget Hendrix was "Crapping All Over" Dylan, Buddy Miles, Earl King, and even Hey Joe was a Leaves cover.

The fact that Moore, Vaughan and others cover Hendrix tunes lends credence to Hendrix, it doesn't delegitimize the cover artist. If it did, there's be no legitimate artists. Personally I believe you Have to cover as well as Write, only writing is a little selfish and only covering is a little too safe.

I'm just going to reply, read two pages. anyway...

I was in a Hendrix phase for a while and I was trying to learn Voodoo Chile (slight return) but with all of the little nuances. I looked at countless you tube videos and tabs where they were teaching it--and no one had it nailed, some would have three or four parts right, but they were all off, eather technique or tone, or actual notes, so I learned what I could and faked the funk the rest.

There is a reason the man is a legendary player, the combination of tone, emotion, technique and he was such a perfectionist. Anyway when folks say they have him down, they don't.

With all due respect to those who seek a direct copy of another player, It's not really possible - even if the player is a three-month beginner strumming chords.

You can come close, but not exact; tone from where? literally what you might have heard in front of what, an amp? A PA? From a "record player?"

For me it's not just a matter of liking or not liking a given player; the point is that even a given player cannot truly do a perfect copy of what he may have played either on the third take in the studio or what he played last month. It's why I find a "perfect cover" of a song the sort of thing I've never sought.

Concept of a piece, yes; that's part of a piece that is something we like. But a note for note and tone for tone copy of Chuck Berry doing Johnny B Goode? Yeah, like which recording?

m

With all due respect to those who seek a direct copy of another player, It's not really possible - even if the player is a three-month beginner strumming chords.

You can come close, but not exact; tone from where? literally what you might have heard in front of what, an amp? A PA? From a "record player?"

For me it's not just a matter of liking or not liking a given player; the point is that even a given player cannot truly do a perfect copy of what he may have played either on the third take in the studio or what he played last month. It's why I find a "perfect cover" of a song the sort of thing I've never sought.

Concept of a piece, yes; that's part of a piece that is something we like. But a note for note and tone for tone copy of Chuck Berry doing Johnny B Goode? Yeah, like which recording?

m

This was just one example, I've never seeked a perfect cover, to play or listen to. But to see what he was doing here, and I've hundreds try an they can't do it like Jimi did, even though that's exactly what they are attempting to do.

i like jimi hendrix music, he has all of the "standards" of rock / blues ... you got red house, if 6 was 9, angel, voodoo chile, little wing, etc... everybody does some of these tunes, clapton, allman bro, srv, kenny wayne shepherd, johnny a., ... i like it when you have people like nigel kennedy , emily elbert, mina agossi, and others doing jimi tunes in their own styles ... i prefer jimi tunes done with acoustic instruments, perhaps i am just getting old and prefer acoustic tones over loud. jimi didnt play "all along the watch tower" exactly like bob dylan did it, i play several of his covers but i dont have a bigsby and i have never even accidently had feedback, i sound nothing like jimi ... i posted some of these favorites at http://www.youtube.com/user/don6960 ... enjoy

well i gotta say thanks guys, over 1600 views and 170 replies...the most one of my threads has ever achieved [laugh]

now for my final word...this version shtis all over hendrix's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0

[flapper]

Hey, this was pretty good! On more than one occasion there was actual space between some of the notes and I think even some phrasing too =D>

on a side note, my cousin told me that ernie isley used to give hendrix lessons? ...

Yes it's a fact that your cousin told you.

Well it's also a fact that Hendrix played for the Isley Brothers from 64 to 66...

Nice guitar work here by Ernie on this remake -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18C5bGDWmas

> Desparate attempt to kill thread <

Archived