Gibson Brands Forums

Music today: A rant

DAS44

1-10 of 100 The Billboard Hot 100

Grenade Bruno Mars Prev Week:2 | Weeks On:17 | Peak:1 Firework Katy Perry Prev Week:3 | Weeks On:14 | Peak:1 Black And Yellow Wiz Khalifa Prev Week:5 | Weeks On:16 | Peak:3 Tonight (I'm Lovin' You) Enrique Iglesias Featuring Ludacris & DJ Frank E Prev Week:6 | Weeks On:9 | Peak:4 What's My Name? Rihanna Featuring Drake Prev Week:4 | Weeks On:14 | Peak:1 Hold It Against Me Britney Spears Prev Week:1 | Weeks On:2 | Peak:1 We R Who We R Ke$ha Prev Week:7 | Weeks On:13 | Peak:1 Raise Your Glass P!nk Prev Week:8 | Weeks On:16 | Peak:1 The Time (Dirty Bit) The Black Eyed Peas Prev Week:9 | Weeks On:11 | Peak:4 Hey Baby (Drop It To The Floor) Pitbull Featuring T-Pain

This is what's wrong today's music

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you heard any of his current collaboration with Wanda Jackson, the rockabilly queen. Great stuff, the man is a creative genius.

There is stuff musically that is creative like the 60's, it's just that it is often drowned out by the commercial dreck. Of course there will probably never be anyone like Thelonious Monk, he was way beyond genius.

Yes, J.W. is a workaholic .......and is a creative genius...........

[thumbup]

I just posted the video, I won't repeat what I wrote there, but he's outstanding

Yes.....

Found the video guys.

> snipped video <

Great video . . . . . . and on the mark.

On the OP - - - - Revolutionary ?

As I mentioned before - there's nothing revolutionary about the today's mainstream artists or the music industry.

But as some have pointed out, the revolution in music is technology, particularly the internet and YouTube. There's where you can find some artists that are doing there own thing - not some corporate music blueprint schtick.

Great video . . . . . . and on the mark.

On the OP - - - - Revolutionary ?

As I mentioned before - there's nothing revolutionary about the today's mainstream artists or the music industry.

But as some have pointed out, the revolution in music is technology, particularly the internet and YouTube. There's where you can find some artists that are doing there own thing - not some corporate music blueprint schtick.

Oh, well what I meant was something that was brilliant, and refreshingly new, something that pushed the envelope.

Oh, well what I meant was something that was brilliant, and refreshingly new, something that pushed the envelope.

As annoying as it sounds, that will mean something different to every individual. To me personally, the guys in the clips I posted inspire me and feel like a breathe of fresh air in the current music scene,

Anyway - I meant to ask, do you write your own music DAS? I ask because as a writer/composer, you can put into your music the things you think are lacking in the current climate msp_thumbup.gif Loads of pieces have come from me then I am at the end of my tether with things!!

Matt

As annoying as it sounds, that will mean something different to every individual. Do you write music DAS? I ask because as a writer/composer you can put into your music the things you think are lacking in the current climate msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Yes I do but I have no way to record so the spread is very very slow :P

Plus I don't know if any of its any good!

Yes I do but I have no way to record so the spread is very very slow :P

Plus I don't know if any of its any good!

I understand; but there are some great free recording programmes out there!

Have you tried audacity? It is free and you can get results out of it too!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If I can help please just shoot us a pm!

Matt

Just my 2 cents here...

I think a few (not all) of us have the "we have turned into our parents" syndrome. We have gotten older and a lot of the music today is not to our taste and once that happens we stop really listening so we don't dig into the nuances of newer music that make it unique. It then becomes "It all sounds the same" I think every generation has said this...

When I think of music I pretty much only think of what comes out of the US, Canada, and Europe (mostly British) . Keeping this in mind... I consider what makes music "revolutionary" I think between the 1920's and 1980's There were a lot of revolutionary and cultural changes going on in the world and especially in these regions. While I don't have enough knowledge to really speak of the music of the 20's up to the 50's There were obviously some big changes in the culture's and generational gaps during that time. The blues and Jazz was really becoming a new form of music that was controversial and out of the mainstream. Also there were major world events happening during that time with world wars etc... In the US there was still a lot of racism and segregation happening. These were all very influential in what and how music was being created...

The 50's ( not that I was there ) seems to be the beginning of the younger generation of the time starting to rebel against the cultures and what was acceptable to the previous generation and it is when you really start to see a change and shift in the sound and style of the music that was being created. Obviously taking from the roots of blues and Jazz. White people singing and playing in the style of blacks was very controversial. This was revolutionary.

The 60's was obviously the generation that was probably the most revolutionary when it came to musical style and influence of modern music. Again there were major cultural changes happening and major world events that was influencing the younger generation of musicians of the time. Vietnam, politics, drugs, hippies etc.. was a major catalyst for the feel, topics and style of music being written about. I think the younger generation teens and twenties were obviously majorly impacted by the events of the time and much more involved with trying to create a revolutionary change. The up beat "Be Bop" rock n roll of the 50's was being replaced by more serious topics and the sound, tone and feel of the music reflected it. You also had basic musical instruments evolving at the time especially Guitar. Marshall, Hiwatt, Fender, Orange, etc.. were allowing for new sonic tones that had not really been heard before.

The early to mid 70's were a continuation and evolution that was starting to happen from the late 60's and I believe the younger generation of the time was still following the mantra of the 60's generation. In the late 70's it seems like the younger generation started waining away from the "Being involved" "revolutionary" "Let's change the world" type of mentality and music in general reflected this with more up-beat let's just have fun type of feel and sound.

The 80's ( Now this I can really speak to) really was pretty much about just having fun and most of the music over all was pretty light hearted. There was not a lot going on in our world that we needed to rebel against...

The 90's seemed to have taken a turn to the more serious again....

I can't really tell you what happened from 2000 to this point as I pretty much disconnected and stopped listening...

To me the greatest and most revolutionary music was written by musicians in their late teens through their late 20's. They were also growing up and living in times of major cultural change and world issues and were much more involved in what was happening at the time. I think this is what made the music "Revolutionary"

I'm not saying that there is nothing revolutionary going on in the world today but I think the younger and current generations are less "involved" and disconnected from "revolutionary change"

My Grandparents listend to Lawrence Welk and Benny Goodman etc... My Parents ( who are only 17 years older than I am) Listened to Zep, the who, deep purple, uriah heep etc... So I grew up listening to that and AC/DC, Priest, Metallica, Kiss, Aerosmith, Metallica etc.. Now you have grandparents that are Metallica fans...

In Summary I don't think that there will be anymore truly "revolutionary" new music until something happens in the world that is truly revolutionary enough to create revolutionary change in the musicians that are around when it happens...

Even if it does ( or maybe it already has ) I doubt I will be involved enough or open minded enough to hear it or know it when it does happen.

Andy

My parents and grandparents don't/didn't like loud rock. I like loud rock, still in my mid forties. I like some pop stuff that's melodic, but the overwhelming stuff today is saturated with compression and autotune, which is one of today's "revolutions". I do appreciate musical talent today, whether I like it or not, unlike my grandparents.

I find it especially interesting that almost all ages are represented here and ... all are pretty much saying there's as much talent out there as ever, but you've gotta dig a little.

I'll agree. Heck, I'm 65 and love loud rock and electric blues and wilder "country" either to listen to or, on a rare occasion, to play sitting in with a band that does something I actually remember.

Yet mostly I do softer solo stuff from folkie blues to blues blues to variants of "jazz" to just plain folkie or "cowboy." I think loud doesn't work well for a solo, potentially better in a band, depending on style and venue. At least, for me...

A weakness to aging in today's world - and we all are aging, even if we're 15 years old - is that there's so much stuff out there that it's increasingly difficult to keep up and find new stuff that might interest us. Heck, even in the 1950s, and I was there, it was impossible. A big record store of the era would drive you nuts just with the general sort of style you'd perhaps prefer.

As a performer, you've got to consider also what general sort of music you can find gigs for that will pay you. Usually there are "covers" or "variations of songs" that will be expected whether you're doing "folk" or some variation of current rock.

But... there's always room for experimentation. Always. I've suggested an A-E guitar, even a nylon string A-E, for some wild rock stuff. Why not try it if you've got it? <grin> Are you part of the problem or part of the solution??? <chuckle>

BTW, I consider the 50s far more experimental in ways than even the 60s because there was this burst of styles available, new and old. Technology made a lotta new stuff possible. Some was drek, sure.

The radio was no better than today, but in a bigger record store even in Des Moines you could find anything from Pete Seeger to Leadbelly, to John Lee Hooker to Miles Davis to Charlie Christian to Doo Wop to early rock to experimental pop like Les Paul to...

And the rockers of the 60s picked up on a lot of it from listening in the 50s and made their own variations...

m

Yeah, a lot of it is just reworking, repackaging, remarketing! Everything's been done!

Maybe not (always) done in a commercial sense, though a LOT of it has. My R&R era, was

the '60s, to mid '70's, really. We thought a lot of that was "new," at first.

But, in reality, it was just renewed, and revamped Blues and '50's rock...with some experimentation,

and blending of other styles (The Beatles (especially later), Buffalo Springfield, for just

2 examples).

I'm not saying they were the only ones, experimenting, but...they were certainly the most

visible...maybe, especially The Beatles. But, even Les Paul did a LOT of experimenting,

and inovation, a decade or more, earlier. So...???

Because of technology, there are some great "sounding" records, as far as "perfection," in

recording techniques. However...some of that "perfection," actually "kills" the soul, of it...IMHO.

I saw a documentary, recently, on Scott Walker, who went from "Pop" idol, to infuentual,

experimental, recluse...who is still recording, albeit his own experimental "music." It's

certainly not "commercial," in the normal sense. One of the people interviewed, was commenting on

the state of today's music, recording techniques, sampling, etc...and said, essentially, that they

are great recordings, of performances, that never were. Speaking to the fact, that individual

parts, can be recorded, in different countries, much less different rooms, and added...as needed,

as opposed to actually recording a "live" performance, which was more the "norm," in '50's and '60's.

And, of course, most "pop" music, we love to deride, is not geared towards "musicians," nearly

as much, as the "average Joe/Jane" listener...who just want a nice sounding song, with a decent

beat...something catchy, that lifts their mood/spirits.

CB

Gotta head out to work but...

Just got done listening to jerry jeff walker doing desperadoes waiting for a train...

Somehow it seems appropriate here if you think in terms of music and the old days. Folks I've played music with who were kinda experimental and old enough to be my dad or Grandpa in some cases....

Not necessarily the best version of it, but...

I think a part of the overall problem is the "Search For Innovation" itself. If there's still people listening to "Classic Rock" or "80's Hair Metal" or "Acid Rock" or "Big Band" or "Swing", then the music world may not be ready for something "New for the sake of New".

The constant search for "New and Refreshing" trumps the possibility of anything "New or Refreshing" from catching on. As soon as it catches on it's "Old Hat" and time for something new [confused].

I also need to add, that from my perspective, what's been heralded as "New and Innovative" is often just "Novel and Quirky". Zappa was an amazing musician and interesting song writer, but that type of "Comedy Theater meets Rock and Roll" couldn't turn into a Genre like "Hard Rock" or Metal did. Primus was very original, but Quirky and Funny, again the marriage of Comedy and Music.

Last thought, the Innovation and Newness of the 50's and 60's had a lot more to do with the new instruments being made available, not so much the artist themselves. They were still just taking from the rhythms and melodies they heard in Blues, Country, Folk, Swing, and even turn of the century Brass Band (ala Sgt. Peppers). They didn't change the way the clarinet was played, they defined the way electric guitars are played. You can try to redefine it, but the first definition will always be the first definition.

{edit}Not that I'm agaist Innovation, I just think it should be arrived at naturally and not "Expected" from every generation of musician from now until the end of time.

{edit#2}I also agree with most of whats been said about the industry over controlling their product. Treating it like Breakfast Cereal instead of art.

OK, for those interested in "new" music, here's a genre that some have hailed as fairly innovative, largely for redefining the usage of sequencers and electronic instruments, as well as creating a new performance ethos which is wildly different from much of what came before and the development of a specific subculture devoted to the style. It still takes a lot from its electronic predecessors, and it has its own textural palette that is specific and well-defined. We rock guys talk about "gutsy tone" and "sweet licks"--they have "wubs" and "dirty basslines." You say you're not hearing creativity in new music...but I'm sure none of you are prepared for what exactly it is.

Oh, it's innovative alright, but I'd bet just about everyone here will cringe upon hearing it--I think it's great, but I know I'll be in a minority here. It is a bit of a fusion genre, but it's unique enough to the point where, in a lot of ways, it fits the general desire for innovation.

It's called dubstep. WARNING: explicit lyrics.

So...perhaps creativity hasn't died--perhaps it's just not the creativity you want?

Archived