Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Effects Pedals?

animalfarm

I'm posting this in Electrics because it DOES "relate" to Electric Gits!

Am looking at 3 different Pedals, been watching the YouTube demo vids,

reading the descriptions, specs, etc.

I won't say which ones, as to not influence "Y'alls" responses.

Please feel free to add WHY if you wish.

Hi-Yo, Silver!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AF,

Not much of a pedal guy so, not much help.

I have a Boss BF-3 flanger, Boss SD-1 over drive, Boss DD-6 digital delay.

If I had it to do over I might have gone with the Boss Blues Driver instead of the over drive.

I also have an MXR phase 90 from the "70"s.

I used to play in a band with a guy that used a Boss graphic EQ. He used it for sound shaping. It worked quite well.

One of my neighbors has some sort of Boss multi-pedal that seems quite nice.

The good thing about it is that it removes the need for a noise gate in the case of long pedal chains.

I've always liked Boss due to the quality of their construction.... but... there seems to be many very good alternatives since I bought mine. Seems somebody comes out with something new just about every day!

Willy

Boss ME70 MultiFX.

I6159-Boss-ME-70-Multi-Effects-1.jpg

Terrific range of classic Boss FX: tuner, boost, umpteen different distortion, phase, chorus, univibe, wah, delay, compression and a host of others, maybe 40 in all. You don't need to be a programmer to operate it; you can store patches if you want, or just treat it as a set of stomp boxes in one unit. Master reverb and level, plus multi-model Pre-amp so you can either D.I. it into a PA or use that facility as back up if you're amp dies onstage. All in a hefty metal case small enough to fit in a laptop satchel, so it takes up less room onstage than most multis. Price-wise, you get about 40 FX hardwired into one unit for the price of 3-4 stomp boxes. The only shortfall for me is the lack of an acoustic simulator in there. Otherwise, it does everything I need for a wide range of rock and blues material.

I don't use effects much, but sometimes I like to try and emulate some of the effects that some of my guitar heroes used, so I bought this:

Boss%20ME50.jpg

Boss ME50...I bought it used for about $150. Many of the same effects as the ME70 described by antwhi2001 (plus acoustic simulator). I didn't need (or want) a multipedal that did amp simulation, mainly some effects. I mainly use the wah, delay effects, phaser, tremolo, univibe and rotary. It does a pretty good rendition of a tube screamer and fuzzface. It lets you do a stereo out to two amps, very cool for the rotary effects.

I've got a Digitech RP-155 multi effects box that I usually use. As far as the "old school" stomp boxes, I like my Vox wah-wah, Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, MXR Micro amp, and Electro Harmonix Big Muff. [biggrin]

EDIT: The digital fx boxes are so awesome now, but nothing (IMO) can replace the original pedals that they are modeled after.

Hi

Sorry I don't use pedals per,say, I have a marshall MG101FX, and a MG15FX which has built in effects and a footcontroler. It works just as good if not better than alot of pedals, the only actual pedal I have is a vox wah, thats almost as old as I am.

I'm posting this in Electrics because it DOES "relate" to Electric Gits!

Am looking at 3 different Pedals, been watching the YouTube demo vids,

reading the descriptions, specs, etc.

I won't say which ones, as to not influence "Y'alls" responses.

Please feel free to add WHY if you wish.

Hi-Yo, Silver!

Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive I like a lot. I've been buying and selling overdrives for the last couple of years and have tried quite a few. I may keep this one.

I've been really impressed by the demos I've heard of the G2D Creamtone overdrive, but I haven't tried one yet.

Thought you'd never ask!

Sig chain::

Verbzilla v Main Squeeze--Knockout(equalizer)<NS2 Noise suppressor<Korg pedal tuner <IN

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------V

back to return of NS 2 <<Auto Wah < LPB1 booster < Hot Rod Distortion < MXR classic overdrive < MXR Phase90 < Vibe

002gkn.jpg

003epx.jpg

The MXR overdrive is great w/ the AC4

The Guyatone Wah needs to be hit pretty hard for it to sound good...thats why I have the boost in front of it.

The Knockout(EHX) is a good pedal to shape your tone. I can make the LP sound like a Strat and visa versa. Think it the most used effect on the

board!

Glad to answer any Questions about the other pedals.

The board is a Pedaltrain and I use a Spot one power supply-1700mah. Never have them all on at the same time, so it's not an issue.

THE NS 2 HAS A EFFECTS LOOP W/ SEND AND RETURN . The send goes to the Knockout pedal and the return is from the Wah.

The output of the NS 2 goes to the Verblilla then to the amp-----WHEW!!

Thought you'd never ask!

NS2 has an fx loop w/send and return and a normal output

Sig chain::

AMP < Verbzilla v Main Squeeze--Knockout(equalizer)<NS2 Noise suppressor<Korg pedal tuner <IN

back to return of NS 2 <<Auto Wah < LPB1 booster < Hot Rod Distortion < MXR classic overdrive < MXR Phase90 < Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe <

002gkn.jpg

003epx.jpg

The Guyatone Wah needs to be hit pretty hard for it to sound good...thats why I have the boost in front of it.

The Knockout(EHX) is a good pedal to shape your tone. I can make the LP sound like a Strat and visa versa. Think it the most used effect on the

board!

The board is a Pedaltrain and I use a Spot one power supply-1700mah. Never have them all on at the same time, so it's not an issue.

Thought you'd never ask! NS2 has an fx loop w/send and return and a normal output

V

Sig chain:: |output to Verbzilla

|send to Knockout

AMP < Verbzilla v Main Squeeze--Knockout(equalizer)<NS2 Noise suppressor<Korg pedal tuner <IN

V

back to return of NS 2 <<Auto Wah < LPB1 booster < Hot Rod Distortion < MXR classic overdrive < MXR Phase90 < Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe <

002gkn.jpg

003epx.jpg

board!

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure out which ones are supposed to go in front of the other ones? Is it just trial and error? I know the signal chain has a lot to do with the sound out of the amp.

trail and error--Reverbs are not supposed to go through Noise suppressors-makes the sound flat. Equalizers can be at the front of the chain w/ compressors and sustainer this way everything after them is affected by the incoming signal. It's lot of fun tryin to get it the way you want it to sound.

Trew

I have used BOSS pedals, Distortion, Flanger, Chorus, Delay, EQ, (all older Made In Japan units).

And a CryBaby Wah!

And I had a Diditech GSP-21 that I upgraded to the "Legend", it was a pretty sweet rack mount unit.

But since I bought my Behringer GMX212 I just use the built in effects it has with a Behringer FCB1010 controller.

Does everything I need, without all the cables, batteries, power supplies I used to have.

24640.jpg

FCB1010_P0089_Right_web.png

11300-Fender-Mustang-II-40w-Guitar-Amp__48163_zoom.jpg

It has 24 Preset variants BUT you can make your own!

But the best thing is "FENDER FUSE"

fender_mustang_fuse_06_instrument_musique_chalon.jpg

This has a SCREEN FULL of setup options AND you can download PRO GUITAR made versions (Satriani to name but one)

Its very versitile and has an additional pedal options for those quick switches

Not bad for £100 all included...

I don't have any :rolleyes: I just use the stomp box that came with the amp for changing channels and the reverb. However I did see a review for for a vox overdrive/distortion pedal called the "Satchurator".

satchurator_slant8x10-5e987aa06e360b8c958bc8d5632cec34.jpg

It is Joe Satriani's Signature pedal, but it produced some great sounds weather you are a Satch' fan or not.

If i was gonna spend some dosh on effects, then i would probably go for a Jim Dunlop crybaby and a delay pedal of some sort, I always wanted one of those old "copycat" ones with the tape inside.

1588014681_9981f192c2.jpg

First generation ToneLab (nice and simple), a whizzer mods TS7 (thick mod) and a JangleBox. I did recently purchase a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone pedal that was pretty cool, but sold it because the jangleBox did it better.

I recently got the Danelectro Reel Tape Echo pedal because of rave reviews from everyone who has one. I have to say it is a winner. It gives you that old rock and roll/rockabilly echo like no other pedal. It also does some modern delay stuff quite well, but I use it just for that tape echo old rock sound. It is a great pedal.

DanelectroReelEchoBig.jpg

Line 6 M13. Just purchased this a month ago and I have been impressed with what you can do and how simple it is to use. It is basically 100+ stompboxes all in one where you can emulate pretty much any historical sounds or effect. You have an arsenal of stompbox sounds to mix and match. I have been happy that it does not discolor the tone. Does a heck of a lot of work all in one box. Distortions, reverbs, delays, modulations, loopers, etc. The coolest thing I love is you can dial in an effect the traditional way, turning knobs, and there is no save button. It remembers your settings per each effect. I can change it on the fly at a gig and it will remember the next time I dial the effect up.

Before that I was using a Zoom 2020 for the mid 90s. Which was not a bad box either.

Check it out

post-25138-087896400 1297439210_thumb.jpg

I have one of the vox tonelab le pedals, also shown by peter, and it sounds pretty good and is easy to use once you get a hang of it. This is the board I mostly use through my fender blues deville or vox ac30cc2

photo.jpg?t=1297439716

vintage MXR overdrive, Boss DD-3, Boss Ce-5, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff, Toad fuzz, vox selector, and a fender tuner.

My favorite is definitely the green toad fuzz pedal. It's thick and reacts really well with my amps. It sounds similar to this guys tone

but a little less bright.

I also have a boss rc-20xl loop station pedal. It's a great pedal and really fun to use. It can be a little hard to use in live settings with drums.

I'm not too sure about which pedal should go before the other, but it sounds good to me the way it's connected. If anyone has some suggestions I'll try it out and see if it sounds better.

Which pedals are you looking at, or at least what type of effect?

Archived