Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Randy

duane v

Well, you already answered my question, Duane...I was wondering, if you got out

your RR Les Paul Custom? But, the photo speaks for itself. RIP Randy!

CB

I got it 30 years ago almost to the month....

I saw the 2nd to the last concert he ever played in Atlanta, GA. I was within 8 ft of him, right at the front of the stage.

The night is one I will never forget. He played like nobody I had ever seen then, and like nobody I have never seen since. It was amazing.

A couple of days later, while driving to Florida for spring break ( I was in college at the time) I hear on the radio of the horrible accident and his death. I had to pull the car over. It blew my mind that I had just seen him playing a few nights ago and now he was dead.

RIP Randy.

I got it 30 years ago almost to the month....

I take it you added the pick guard and the selector switch ring? Is the selector switch ring the type with the threaded nut built in?

RIP Randy Rhoads..

Guess I will have to get back on the rebuild today for the occasion.

Andy

I take it you added the pick guard and the selector switch ring? Is the selector switch ring the type with the threaded nut built in?

RIP Randy Rhoads..

Guess I will have to get back on the rebuild today for the occasion.

Andy

YAY! Ive been waiting for that, and I was about to suggest that you get to it as well!

RIP Randy

One thing about Mr. Rhodes..

In a world and an place where poeple were jerks and it was cool do be an A-hole or a ****** or whatever, He was a guy who conducted himself with class and at the same time did not judge others. Pretty rare.

He also never attempted to pretend he was someone else to be "COOL" and was quite happy to have poeple know he didn't care for drugs or any of the drama, that it was just fine to be a clean, well adjusted normal guy who loved playing.

His playing is what put him in the place he was, and inspired us to care about him. But what it also did was bring many into contact with his additude and his heart.

This had a great impact on not just his fans, but on the rest of the band, on Ozzy and his family, and on thier fans.

The world is a better place because of him.

Considering how lucky we are that he lived, How can there not be a God?

One thing about Mr. Rhodes..

In a world and an place where poeple were jerks and it was cool do be an A-hole or a ****** or whatever, He was a guy who conducted himself with class and at the same time did not judge others. Pretty rare.

He also never attempted to pretend he was someone else to be "COOL" and was quite happy to have poeple know he didn't care for drugs or any of the drama, that it was just fine to be a clean, well adjusted normal guy who loved playing.

His playing is what put him in the place he was, and inspired us to care about him. But what it also did was bring many into contact with his additude and his heart.

This had a great impact on not just his fans, but on the rest of the band, on Ozzy and his family, and on thier fans.

The world is a better place because of him.

Considering how lucky we are that he lived, How can there not be a God?

He also spelled his last name Rhoads not Rhodes.... [flapper] He was cool that way....[biggrin]

He also spelled his last name Rhoads not Rhodes.... [flapper] He was cool that way....[biggrin]

That figures..

I am getting way, way better at typing here and I get one thing wrong...but..you're right, and it turns out I actually never knew how to spell his name having never thought about it.

So, I actually learned something.

Andy

nope, nope and nope

The only thing that was changed were the frets (i don't like low flat frets).... The guitar came the same way as you see it as purchased in Feb of 1981.... I still have the warranty card and receipt

nope, nope and nope

The only thing that was changed were the frets (i don't like low flat frets).... The guitar came the same way as you see it as purchased in Feb of 1981.... I still have the warranty card and receipt

Cool man you never told me you had a super limited Edition model! You just said it was a custom like Rhoads' had (understatement). You need to show the backplate on the headstock! That is pretty cool. The only thing I ever read about the toggle switch cover was it was an aftermarket and that the nut for the switch is integrated into the cover?... Ever see one like that?

I saw the 2nd to the last concert he ever played in Atlanta, GA. I was within 8 ft of him, right at the front of the stage.

The night is one I will never forget. He played like nobody I had ever seen then, and like nobody I have never seen since. It was amazing.

That is because he was one of a kind. A talent that will never be replicated. Others come close but Randy was simply the best by any standards.

A great call paying respects to Randy's passing.

Randy Rhoads' insistence that his pupils find their own sound (and not copy), his love of classical guitar and his desire to keep having lessons, have all rubbed off on me!msp_biggrin.gif I am really grateful for that.

I don't think it should be all sad around this time because we can celebrate that we got to experience his music in his short stay here... one of the true greats msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Matt I knew you would appreciate it, especially of all the players I've played with and or listened to, you have the most definitive Randy inflection incorporated into your playing style..... which is always a good thing, especially when its presented naturally.

[thumbup]

He is one of my guitar heroes . RIP Randy.

I remember as a youngster one of my pals was into Ozzy in a big way, and lent me a copy of Blizzard of oz, Randys playing blew me away, i had never heard anything like it at the time. He had a poster on his wall of Randy Rhoads standing beside Ozzy, Randy is wearing some rather impressive bell bottom flares which leave his feet in complete shadow giving the impression that Randy, i) has no feet, and ii) is hovering 5" off the ground. We used to wind him up by saying that Randy Rhodes has no feet.

great days

I remember I was all set to see him at the Spectrum in Philly and the news came over the radio.

I saw Ozzy about a month later, but with a different guitarist. I forget who it was.

My guess would be Bernie Torme or Brad Gillis ... Shame to have been so close to seeing him...

Andy

Archived