Gibson Brands Forums

My first Martin

Gibson Artist

Well congrats on yer new beauty. . . . Is that a satin finish back and neck?

A bold move on a Gibson forum, but I'll play - - I've got a 1998 D-45 VR - I really love this R/W dread -

Its a satin finish on the back and sides and i think neck too, quite lovely and man she sings, its really loud and i have an ibanez 12 string and it literally has the same booming sound from a 6, i was quite surprised that even with the cheapo factory strings she still has BIG bright sound.

My next purchase will be a Gibson les paul as soon as i can figure out which one i want, ive been wavering back and fourth between a Traditional or a Studio, the Standard would be great but is a little out of my range unless i bought used.

I still want a Gibson Hummingbird but if i were to spend 3k on a guitar it would probably be a Les Paul not an acoustic.

Btw, love yours bigkahune its SWEET! And got the cool headstock but those are a little out of my price range, as i stated if i were to spend 3 grand on an instrument it would probably be a Les Paul Standard or Custom. I'll have my LP sometime in the next couple of months, im hoping for heritage cherry or honey burst.

I just got my first Martin, a couple month ago for my birthday...I am absolutely in love with it...I havent had time to post it on here, but man does Martin make fine acoustics....Your's is beautiful man..Mine is all Mahogany with Indian Rosewood board, and bridge and headstock, all satin finish. etc..Incredible guitar. [thumbup]

I just got my first Martin, a couple month ago for my birthday...I am absolutely in love with it...I havent had time to post it on here, but man does Martin make fine acoustics....Your's is beautiful man..Mine is all Mahogany with Indian Rosewood board, and bridge and headstock, all satin finish. etc..Incredible guitar. [thumbup]

Nice, id love to see it. Also notice you got a Traditional paul plus, one of the gits i was looking at.

Epiphone Artist, Hi! That looks like a very nice Martin acoustic guitar model. I own a Martin D-35. I bought it in 1983 when they were celebrating their

150th Anniversary. The D-35 has a Sitka Spruce Top, Indian Rosewood sides and back (the back has 3 pieces), mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard. It an older

model that does not have a truss-rod adjustable neck. Funny thing is I've never had a problem with the neck or intonation in the 28 years I've had it. So

when I change the strings I don't have to worry about truss rod adjustment or anything. The neck has always been tried and true. The only major thing I've

had happen recently is that I have more wear on my frets than can be saved by crowning and polishing. So I'm looking at having all the frets being replaced.

Yeh, it'll cost me a bit, but the guitar will play/sound like brand new again, only that it's already broken in. Beats buying a new guitar at the prices they

cost today.

I notice with your guitar and the other forum member that has the same model that Martin has a different case than what they were using when I got mine.

I hope you have many years of enjoyable playing on your Martin guitar as I have. This guitar will be with me 'til my grave.

Epiphone Artist, Hi! That looks like a very nice Martin acoustic guitar model. I own a Martin D-35. I bought it in 1983 when they were celebrating their

150th Anniversary. The D-35 has a Sitka Spruce Top, Indian Rosewood sides and back (the back has 3 pieces), mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard. It an older

model that does not have a truss-rod adjustable neck. Funny thing is I've never had a problem with the neck or intonation in the 28 years I've had it. So

when I change the strings I don't have to worry about truss rod adjustment or anything. The neck has always been tried and true. The only major thing I've

had happen recently is that I have more wear on my frets than can be saved by crowning and polishing. So I'm looking at having all the frets being replaced.

Yeh, it'll cost me a bit, but the guitar will play/sound like brand new again, only that it's already broken in. Beats buying a new guitar at the prices they

cost today.

I notice with your guitar and the other forum member that has the same model that Martin has a different case than what they were using when I got mine.

I hope you have many years of enjoyable playing on your Martin guitar as I have. This guitar will be with me 'til my grave.

Yours must be a good one, mine only came with a black micarta fingerboard which i think is some sort of imitation rosewood or something? It's fine tho really as the guitar plays very bright and loud. Ive never replaced frets on any guitar but i suppose i never wore one out to do so lol. 1983 is actually when i first started playing on a 50 dollar sears model.

A sweet guitar indeed! I would love to own it, and NOT ashamed to say it..

Question, when did the headstock logo start that look??

I admit I don't know much about them, but that's the first time I seen one like that.smiley-cool04.gif

Which guitar mine or Bigkahune? Martin from what ive seen has 2 logos, the one i have and then the one with the letters going down the middle of the headstock. From what ive seen the ones like Bigkahunes are on the higher end models.

... black micarta fingerboard which i think is some sort of imitation rosewood or something? ...

It's a synthetic material (like a high pressure laminate) that Martin uses in place of ebony on some models. And it's actually a nice (and green) ebony replacement - with looks very similar to ebony, it's hard and it feels good under the fingers. Your bridge is probably the same material.

Yours must be a good one, mine only came with a black micarta fingerboard which i think is some sort of imitation rosewood or something? It's fine tho really as the guitar plays very bright and loud. Ive never replaced frets on any guitar but i suppose i never wore one out to do so lol. 1983 is actually when i first started playing on a 50 dollar sears model.

Epiphone Artist, your comment about first starting on $50.00 Sears model made me think back to when I began. I had a $25.00 Silvertone Acoustic 6 string.

Silvertone was distributed by Sear, Roebuck & Co. at the time. A real bear to play, but I was determined. Hey, I noticed in your signature thing down below

your note that you have a Epiphone Sheraton II (Natural). I have one, too. What year is yours? Mine's a 2005, Made in Korea. Really nice guitar for the money.

Good chatting with you...Paul

Jaxson -

Very nice lookin D35 - love the back.

And is that an all hog 12? . . . I don't believe I've ever seen one. I'd love to hear a sound sample of that.

Windmills -

Cool little OO. I've got a soft spot for Martin's all hog models - I had one in my stable for many years, the dread.

Archived