Gibson Brands Forums

You know your a snappy dresser when.....

jnastynebr

Your about to win a $90 suit on ebay :unsure:

I do have a quality Italian wool suit, but if you have to wear them frequently it helps to have a few.

It will look great hanging next to the $50 pre-owned one I found on craigslist [blush]

Do you think people will know? Its definitely an off brand, but will the average Joe be able to tell I spent less than a bill on it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on, man. It all comes down to how well it fits YOU, the tailoring. That is just one clue how you can tell if someone "belongs" in the suit or if they are wearing it out of an obligation.

And don't forget the shoes, man. The shoes have to match the outfit.

Thanks for the votes of confidence. I wish my wife was as optimistic. I already have shoes for it (I more or less matched the suit to the shoes), so I should be fine as long as people look at my feet frequently. I just hate to drop another $700 on a suit when that money could go into the gear fund.

It really depends on who you are trying to impress or the reason you need a suit.

If everyone else in your profession wears $1000 suits and you wear a $100 then some of them will probably notice. A nice suit is made of a certain type and quality material. The cut will fit right too.

It really depends on who you are trying to impress or the reason you need a suit.

If everyone else in your profession wears $1000 suits and you wear a $100 then some of them will probably notice. A nice suit is made of a certain type and quality material. The cut will fit right too.

Agreed. I doubt any of the guys I'm worried about noticing will drop that kind of feed on a suit, but you never know. I have a really nice suit, a pretty nice one and a good one that I bought used. Just trying to see if I can open up the rotation a little by sneaking a cheapy in under the radar.

I started to have second thoughts right when I won the auction. I'll give it the once over when it gets here, and if it looks shotty, I'll just send it back. My wife has criticized my decision enough to make me self conscious about it. I'm already leaning toward sending it back and dishing out another $300 for a designer label.

Agreed. I doubt any of the guys I'm worried about noticing will drop that kind of feed on a suit, but you never know. I have a really nice suit, a pretty nice one and a good one that I bought used. Just trying to see if I can open up the rotation a little by sneaking a cheapy in under the radar.

I started to have second thoughts right when I won the auction. I'll give it the once over when it gets here, and if it looks shotty, I'll just send it back. My wife has criticized my decision enough to make me self conscious about it. I'm already leaning toward sending it back and dishing out another $300 for a designer label.

I wish I had bought one or two more Alexandre suits when I was in the military - they were decent and very reasonable priced. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore???

It all depends on the suits cut, condition and fit. There's no way of knowing why it's being sold used it could be a great deal on a nice suit that just doesn't fit someone anymore but they still couldn't stand to throw it out. Then again it could also be a horrible polyester tweed from the 70's that hung in the back of somebodies closet for thirty years and was bought at an estate sale after uncle Bob finally croaked.

There is no real resale market or resale value for mens clothes so there's also no vintage knowledge like in women's clothing. Mens clothing is usually less about labels and more about attitude since suit styles change slowly. The real key is how you wear it, and how ballsy you are about it pulling it off. If you like older vintage stuff and your wearing it boldly because it's fun and funky you'll look great and nobody will say or think anything but if your nervous and only bought it because it was cheap and you feel bad about it then send it back, because your going to look like a country bumpkin in a borrowed suit.

My favorite sports coat is a vintage job I found at a carport sale tha had probably been worn once, I spent more getting it cleaned and tailored than I did buying it but it's great looks like something Frank Sinatra might have worn, I get complements on it all the time from people I'm pretty sure don't know it was a $20 coat. I had never heard of the brand name before (but I knew it was well made and hand sewn) until last year when I finally found out it was a custom shop in New York that made only high end coats and suits, the jacket would have set me back close to $600 new so even with tailoring I'm in it for less than $100 plus like a guitar it has mojo. Bottom line if you have to ask your gonna have trouble pulling it off.

"You're".

It's a contraction of the words "you" and "are".

you're

unstressed yer

contraction of you are: You're certain that's right?

"Your" is a possesive pronoun.

your

yawr, yohr; unstressed yer

–pronoun 1. (a form of the possessive case of you used as an attributive adjective): Your jacket is in that closet. I like your idea. Compare yours. 2. one's (used to indicate that one belonging to oneself or to any person): The consulate is your best source of information. As you go down the hill, the library is on your left. 3. (used informally to indicate all members of a group, occupation, etc., or things of a particular type): Take your factory worker, for instance. Your power brakes don't need that much servicing.

Thanks, but I don't need to be corrected. Why dont you go play with your swords or something. YOU'RE neighbor is getting ready to storm your castle, and YOUR the only one who can defend it, so you better sharpen YOU'RE axe.

Apparently you do.

My bad, but I thought you were the one giving the 14 y.o. kid grief for his writing skills.

Obviously, it isn't really all that important to you.

Hmmm.

What does that say, then?

:-k

Yeah, I gave a 14 year old kid that wrote an entire paragraph without any punctuation some grief for ignoring every commonly accepted rule in the English language. Sorry, I'll be more careful with my yours and you'res. I keep forgetting that there are grown men on this forum that find the time between playing knights and rocking on guitar to correct people's English. Sorry if I offended you, and no, I will not have a sword fight with you. I concede that you are the superior swordsman.

Sorry if I offended you, and no, I will not have a sword fight with you. I concede that you are the superior swordsman.

Just making a point, sir. Something about glass houses comes to mind :)

Besides, what kind of a Knight would I make if I did not come to the defense of children??

For the record, I never entice anyone who has not shown some inclination towards this sport to take up arms and fight. In fact, I could be quoted many times as having said "this isn't for everyone", and you may trust me when I say it truly is not.

Hope you have a great Monday!

Just making a point, sir. Something about glass houses comes to mind :)

Besides, what kind of a Knight would I make if I did not come to the defense of children??

For the record, I never entice anyone who has not shown some inclination towards this sport to take up arms and fight. In fact, I could be quoted many times as having said "this isn't for everyone", and you may trust me when I say it truly is not.

Hope you have a great Monday!

Please dont call it a sport.

I hope you have a good Monday, too.

Archived