Gibson Brands Forums

What's going on at Fender?

canon_mutant

Listen, I am not a Fender Troll, play my Strat regularly and love it, am STILL building a custom Tele if I ever get it done, and have a 62 Strat I want and an American Deluxe Tele too so this isn't a bash Fender post . . . though it may turn into that.

I am on their distribution and I swear all they do anymore is release pre-beat up Strats and Teles.

Is the market really that big for beat my guitar up for me and let me pay you extra for it, crap?

I know Gibby does it too some but not nearly as much as Fender does.

WTF, over?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldnt pay for a guitar that looks beat up, i dont like the roadworn series.

i value and am protective of my guitars because i know how long it took to pay for them. If i want a beat up looking guitar i'll play mine till they are beat up

This has been gone over, before...but, it's basically a marketing ploy,

to those players, that want the "mojo," without the "work," involved in

making that "mojo," for themselves, by playing a LOT! "Flash, before

substance, if you like? Or, more of this "instant gratification" disease,

that has taken 'hold. I've never understood it, really, myself. But,it must work,

as they keep doing it. I don't (really) mind the "faded" finishes, etc. But, when

they relic them, to unsightly levels, just for "effect," and then charge a premium,

to do so. Nahhh!!!

But, that's just me!

CB

Guest FarnsBarns

IMHO, it is to create what is known as Goldielocks marketing.

You have one product that seems over priced for what it is, one that's very cheap (MIMs), and people make the decision to buy the one that's "just right" more quickly and comfortably. At the same time you cover the lower end of the market and sell a few over priced items to particularly affluent (or stupid) people as well.

It's these kind of subtle psychological techniques that people should look out for. It's so subtle these days it verging on subliminal marketing, which is illegal (at least in Europe).

Well, my bigger point was it's like they're running out of ideas at Fender as it seems like every single email I get from them has yet another road worn same ole' something on it.

Of course, all I get from Gibby are a bunch of guitars I can't afford for the most part but at least they generally aren't just another pre-beat up something.

Like I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a 55 or 56 P90 LP or that black 55 with the P90/Alnico V would be awesome.

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the Lifeson FR Wine Red LP or the Axcess FR would do.

And though I'll probably get the ES-339, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the CS-336/356 instead. Love the hardwood versions but you pay for it.

That's 3 REALLYs. But it's just hard to justify 3-4 bills for one of these Gibbies when I can get a ES339 or Traditional LP and another Carvin or Fender for the same price instead and not be afraid to leave the house with 'em.

Yeah, and with "pre" beat up guitars, you don't have the "history,"

and stories, that contribute, to it's (real) mojo. Hell, that's

more than 1/2 the fun, isn't it? (Smile) I want to KNOW, where

every ding and scratch, or rub mark came from, and the story that

goes with it. As best as this old brain, can remember, that is. ;>)

Besides, you can beat them up, yourself, without paying a premium,

if that's your "thing."

CB

Guest FarnsBarns

If you buy one at a discount as a "scratch and dent" sort of thing, how would you know?

That's almost how I see VOS. The guitar looks slightly aged but cared for and they achieve it by skipping a buffing stage, they charge less, as it should be. Lot's of people buy VOS and do a final buff themselves (I didn't bother).

I'm just not turned on by Fender guitars and wouldn't buy one at all but they would do well to take a look at the VOS idea, if they haven't already done something like that.

Never got the "relic" thing either, here.

What's next, torn Tolex on your amp? If that's the case, my amp is already in fashion!

Ummmm... Fender does that too [biggrin]

No joke, its called the Fender Blues Jr (something or other, I forget the correct name) but its stained, has torn grille cloth, etc.

Hmmmmm......

Gibbie destroys "seconds" and...

<grin>

Seriously, if I had a cupla hundred routed board bodies designed for bolt-on necks that had some flaws, or completed bodies with finish flaws this would seem a good way of getting rid of 'em.

m

Hmmmmm......

Gibbie destroys "seconds" and...

<grin>

Seriously, if I had a cupla hundred routed board bodies designed for bolt-on necks that had some flaws, or completed bodies with finish flaws this would seem a good way of getting rid of 'em.

m

I thought of that, also. Makes sense, in getting the most "bang for the buck," regarding their

materials. Less waste, that way. That's a Good thing, too. My only (real) problem is, charging

a premium, for it. IF they want to do that, it should be all "Custom Shop," made to order...and

not general line. If they want to do the "Relic" series...to get the most out of less than

perfect wood, or finishes...why not sell them at roughly the same price, as a nicely finished

guitar. I know...It's more work, to "relic" one. But, is it...really? Doing a beautiful,

flawless, paint job, can be a lot of work, too. It's not really "Rocket Science," to relic one's

own instrument, anyway...IF that's what you want. In fact, I'd much rather relic it "my way,"

than have someone decide for me, what I like.

But, it's working, for them, apparently. So, who's to argue, with success? ;>)

CB

Do you think that's what they're doing?

They wouldn't keep making them if people didn't keep buying them. I like them. Fenders look cooler a little beat up. What I don't understand is why they put thin nitro finishes on Mexican made Stratocasters, and glob on 5 coats of poly finish on American models that cost twice as much. Fenders are invincible. The maple necks wear wonderfully and look sweet, and rarely break.

My fender just doesn't get the protection that my Gibby does, because it doesn't need it. It has its fair share of nicks and scratches, and has been played by everyone and anyone. I guard my Les Paul much more carefully.

I do disagree with the idea that these guitars are "collector's pieces". These are players, through and through. Road Worn guitars were going for $700 a few months after the initial release, and Fender made a billion of em'.

With a hefty price tag they would perhaps appeal to the collector more. But that's not in stone, of course. As the OP stated, paying "extra" for a beat up guitar doesn't apply as much to a 700 dollar guitar as it does to a $ 4,000 one. Personally, I could sleep better at night having the 700 one instead of having paid G's for one that I can mess up on my own.

Well it seems that most people here aren't into them, but somebody is. I say if Fender is making money, then let them build and advertise them at will. What I think should happen is to have a poll to see what people would buy next. People have good ideas but the trick is to have enough of them to buy into the idea.

I definitely agree that if folks wanna buy 'em, it's fine by me. I won't. I'd gladly accept one as a gift, but I'd really prefer a nicer Epi or a lower-end Gibbie.

The real advantage, as I see it, to the F brand is the solidity of those bolt-on maple necks. They make a great club or even spear if necessary; they're strong enough.

If you like the fingerboard radius and scale, and the sound from their pups, they're tough guitars.

Not my schtick, but if they're somebody else's, that's okay by me.

m

Archived