Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite band from when you were twelve?

Shnate McDuanus

The Ventures - great stuff.

HA!

Loved the "garage band" stuff from the 60s - Louie Louie - great - the lyrics investigation and FBI involvement was hilarious.

A couple more -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEmmLDyHZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO2Y2sGZ1dk

Yeah, The McCoys, were a Kick-*** band, really. Good stuff!

CB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was 12 in 1992 and my favorite band was queen. they were my favorite before the whole wayne's world thing. kinda funny, before that movie, nobody knew who i was talkin about. after the movie, everyone said i liked them because the movie. i could never win back then.

The Ventures - great stuff.

HA!

Loved the "garage band" stuff from the 60s - Louie Louie - great - the lyrics investigation and FBI involvement was hilarious.

A couple more -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEmmLDyHZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO2Y2sGZ1dk

I grew up on this ****! Oldies radio was always around when I was a youngin

Okay... not necessarily age 12. Okay. Obviously Chuck Berry regardless. A few years later and an entirely different style the Fleetwoods. Lots of doowop.

Actually when I was 12: the Jimmy Dorsey band hit it with "So Rare" that's still great and frankly I can hear some of that in the Ventures stuff albeit obviously with different instrumentation. (I hear Tommy D in "Perfidia," for example, but that's a lot of fun to do solo fingerstyle, too.) Everly Brothers. Jerry Lee Lewis. Buddy Holly on some stuff. Fats Domino. Never cared for Patty Page, but I still do a solo fingerstyle version of "Old Cape Cod"

The following year... Twilight time by the Platters who did lots of good vocal stuff; Leo Kottke does a great guitar-only version and mine's about 10 percent as good. The classic "At the Hop" kinda reflects the era, too... More Chuck Berry. Again, lotza doowop. Ah, the tunes that you actually could understand the words that they accompanied.

Meanwhile jazz was beebopin' like crazy and Country was trying to figure out what it was doing...

m

Its hard to have only one fave especially since my parents were a huge fan of Classic Rock I grew up listening to these bands before and when I was twelve and still do 13 years later at 25.

Led Zeppelin (The Mightiest of them All)

The Who

Hendrix

Rush

Blue Oyster Cult

Black Sabbath

BTO

Cream/Clapton

Eagles

Yard Birds

Beatles

Jethro Tull

Jeff Healy

BB King

I think this little list speaks for itself on my musical taste!

ne14t?

Gee, your parents are awfully young. <grin>

BTW, I actually went to a McCoys concert when I was in a college band... pretty hot stuff, really, for the time, but you still could hear a bit of Chuck Berry. Derringer still's pickin', it appears. But then, he's just a young kid still. <chuckle>

I was past 12 when Link Wray did Rumble, and that was pretty doggone interesting for the time.

m

ne14t?

Gee, your parents are awfully young. <grin>

BTW, I actually went to a McCoys concert when I was in a college band... pretty hot stuff, really, for the time, but you still could hear a bit of Chuck Berry. Derringer still's pickin', it appears. But then, he's just a young kid still. <chuckle>

I was past 12 when Link Wray did Rumble, and that was pretty doggone interesting for the time.

m

Musically my parents were smart otherwise they were young and dumb as my mom had two kids before she was 22. But I lucked out and was subjected to such tasty music instead of the typical "gangster noise" kids my age would have listened to. I have since branched out further a bit more into blue's and metal as both genre's tickle my fancy as well, but I can never stop resorting back to the classic rock :D

Ne...

Yeah, they had pretty good taste with the new stuff. <grin> Well, new from my perspective, anyway.

I dunno, I might have kids some day when I grow up myself. OTOH, at my age, I rather doubt it... Another guitar maybe?

<chortle>

m

Actually when I was 12: the Jimmy Dorsey band hit it with "So Rare" that's still great and frankly I can hear some of that in the Ventures stuff albeit obviously with different instrumentation. (I hear Tommy D in "Perfidia," for example, but that's a lot of fun to do solo fingerstyle, too.)

m

I played trombone in a Jimmy Dorsey/Glenn Miller style big band in the mid 60's. The guy who formed it was heavily into the swing era and he asserted that Brian Wilson's Beach Boys harmonies were exactly like Glenn Miller's 4 and 5 part harmonies.

Grampa...

Yupper, I think on the Beach Boys harmonies.

But heck, face it, we were hearing that stuff all the time on tv and our folks radio stations... Modernaires... The Ventures did Perfidia, but after the Modernaires/Glen Miller did it... etc., etc., etc. Remember them on the Bob Crosby tv show? <grin>

m

Grampa...

Yupper, I think on the Beach Boys harmonies.

But heck, face it, we were hearing that stuff all the time on tv and our folks radio stations... Modernaires... The Ventures did Perfidia, but after the Modernaires/Glen Miller did it... etc., etc., etc. Remember them on the Bob Crosby tv show? <grin>

m

The Bob Hope and Bing Crosby "Road To" movies were some of the first non cartoon movies I ever watched, good laughs had there.

Favorite band is easy: Grand Funk Railroad.

Favorite song is far more difficult, given the fact that I was 12 and likely had multiple favorites....

Shinin' On (From Grand Funk's album of the same name)

The Joker

I'll Have to Say I Love You (in a song)

The Night Chicago Died

For the Love of Money

Takin Care Of Business...

the list would be HUGE....

Archived