Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite band from when you were twelve?

Shnate McDuanus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough question since it was 1971 and some great stuff came out that year, Don Maclean American Pie, Sticky Fingers by the Stones, Carole King was tearing up the airways with Tapestry and my favorite album of all time was released The Allman brothers at Fillmore East I listened to it every night and honestly still do several nights a week [thumbup]

But if you would have asked me then I would have said Cat Stevens (correction sorry) Tea for the Tillerman didn't really care for the album but my first real girlfriend thought it was wonderful and I pretty much thought she was wonderful and would have done anything to make her feel romantic including singing Father and Son, Wild World, and Longer Boats to acoustic guitar over and over so we listened to Tea for the Tillerman and Tapestry all day and then I would listen to the Fillmore album at night though my headphones trying to learn slide.

Tough question since it was 1971 and some great stuff came out that year, Don Maclean American Pie, Sticky Fingers by the Stones, Carole King was tearing up the airways with Tapestry and my favorite album of all time was released The Allman brothers at Fillmore East I listened to it every night and honestly still do several nights a week [thumbup]

But if you would have asked me then I would have said Seals and Crofts Tea for the Tillerman didn't really care for the album but my first real girlfriend thought it was wonderful and I pretty much thought she was wonderful and would have done anything to make her feel romantic including singing Father and Son, Wild World, and Longer Boats to acoustic guitar over and over so we listened to Tea for the Tillerman and Tapestry all day and then I would listen to the Fillmore album at night though my headphones trying to learn slide.

You mean Cat Stevens, I believe, not Seals and Croft. And that was a nice mellow album.

Don Maclean American Pie,...and my favorite album of all time was released The Allman brothers at Fillmore East I listened to it every night and honestly still do several nights a week [thumbup]

Tea for the Tillerman [/b] didn't really care for the album but my first real girlfriend thought it was wonderful and I pretty much thought she was wonderful and would have done anything to make her feel romantic including singing Father and Son, Wild World, and Longer Boats to acoustic guitar over and over so we listened to Tea for the Tillerman and Tapestry all day

This is me right here. At about 12 an "older" friend turned me on to Duane and the Allman Bros (and Eric, Layla came out about the same time as "Fillmore"). This rocked my world, and I haven't been the same ever since.

My sister was a Cat Stevens fanatic, and about 10 or twelve years ago I got all the Cat Stevens' albums from the library and was going to make a custom "best of" CD. I started going through those albums and it brought up so many weird adolescent memories that I scrapped the whole project. There is a whole era of (my) teenage angst music that I never want to hear again.

Hmmm...12. Well, that was the year Stevie Ray Vaughan came out with Couldn't Stand the Weather, so my answer is essentially the same as the "Favorite Band" thread. However, in the years leading up to that, ZZ Top and Leon Russel were my favorites.

"Mushmouth Shoutin'" by ZZ and "Down on the Base" by Leon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLx5dpM7Fwc

Couldn't find a Vid for "Down on the Base".

HAVING BEEN TO WOODSTOCK...I GUESS I HAVE JUST DATED MYSELFLF

MY FAVORITE BANDS

STONES

DAVE CLARK 5

SMALL FACES

SANTANA

JEFFESON AIRPLANE

JANIS

MC-5

ALBERT,FREDDIE AND BB KING

WILLIE DIXON''

JOHN MAYALL AND THE BLUESBREAKERS

JAMES BROWN

CREEDENCE

JIMI

BEATLES

BOWIE

ROXY MUSIC

MUDDY WATERS

JOHNNY WINTERS

ETTA JAMES

MICHAEL BLOOMFIELD

LES PAUL

PINE TOP PERKINS

BOBBY BLUE BAND

JAN N DEAN

STEPPENWOLF

BLACK SABBATH

ALLMAN BROTHERS

RICHIE HAVENS

DOORS

PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS

ALL THE BLUES GREATS !!!!!

St James

St. James...

I'm sure that Grampa, and I and a cupla others greet you as among the elders.

Me, I was working stedda Woodstocking, but what the heck. <grin>

And... I never dated myself, actually. I always preferred girls. <chortle> It was bad enough looking at myself in the mirror even at a younger age with fewer wrinkles and bushier, darker hair.

BTW - where've you been lurking?

m

Won the Flying Colours album off the radio...loved this song. Strange thing is the Youtube for the origional recording is not available in my country...which is the same country the band is from...Canada....

At 12 probably the James Gang, featuring Joe Walsh of course, and the Guess Who.

Wasn't too long though I was turned on to a band called Pink Floyd and have been an addict since.

Man, that's almost freakin' 40 years! Scary. Time.

The sun is the same

In a relative way

But you're older

Shorter of breath

And one day

Closer to death

Cheer up . . .

At age 12 most people were going on about the Beatles and the Stones, but I heard Steppenwolf, I knew what direction I wanted to go.

Of course a few years later, I discovered the legendary bands of the late 60's, and then I found The Almond Brothers... different direction, but they taught me to play drums.

BTW, cool post, a lot of nice music here.

Don't judge

hey Fred, I've always dug Green Day... I still love listening to them and they still kick ***!! Billie Joe is a great song writer, and a lot of their older stuff is really easy and fun to play... actually at my gig in a few weeks I'm playing Brain Stew and maybe a few others... rock on man!! [biggrin][thumbup]

St. James...

I'm sure that Grampa, and I and a cupla others greet you as among the elders.

Me, I was working stedda Woodstocking, but what the heck. <grin>

And... I never dated myself, actually. I always preferred girls. <chortle> It was bad enough looking at myself in the mirror even at a younger age with fewer wrinkles and bushier, darker hair.

BTW - where've you been lurking?

m

I HAD OPEN HEART SURGWERY JAN 14TH AND TRUMOR WAS FOUND ON MY LEFT EYE SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR THE CAPS.

I AM SUPPSEDLY PLAYIN AT WWW.bluestock.com I AM TO PLAY WITH MAGIC SLIM AND THE TEARDROPS

YEA I AM ONE OF THE ELDERS BUT I LIKE IT ACTUALLY.( NOT REALLY)

BUT WE CARRY ONE AS ONG AS WEVE GOT A GEETAR IN OUR HANDS

SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO WANT TO GO TO BLUESTOCK LET ME KNOW I CAN SET YOU UP WITH ALL AREA ACCESS PASSES

RRESPECTFULLY

St James

USMC RETIRED

Luuuuu___cy . . . . . . you got some 'splainin' to do.

eh. It was 1972. I was 12. I don't remember a whole lot of Pop Radio(we called it AM). Bay City Rollers I remember, may not even have been S A TUR DAY Night yet, but I remember them.

I was nutz deep in learning how to cope with just the crappiest Silvertone/DanElectro pile of stool ever assembled and called a guitar, while dreaming of my first real strat so I could REALLY knock off Dominos and Allmans and stuff like that other joker from England named Beck.

rct

hey Fred, I've always dug Green Day... I still love listening to them and they still kick ***!! Billie Joe is a great song writer, and a lot of their older stuff is really easy and fun to play... actually at my gig in a few weeks I'm playing Brain Stew and maybe a few others... rock on man!! [biggrin][thumbup]

I used to know a ton of their songs, Brain Stew is one of my favorites, along with Hitchin A Ride

Not much of a fan of their new stuff though. Me and my one friend wore out an American Idiot CD though [blush]

St. James...

All I can say is, "Rock On!"

I agree.

The guitar and music keeps our blood flowing even if we have creases on our faces and scars on the body.

Me too. I have been lucky with my own health, though.

m

Archived