Gibson Brands Forums

the royal wedding

pete c

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooh, that wedding. Yeah, I don't care who's wedding it is. As long as it does not interrupt South Park or my usual Travel Channel shows.

matt, most of us brits care not because of the wedding BUT!...we get a paid day off of work for the occasion [biggrin]

It is tommarow isn't it?

I have to say I am a little disapointed that even the Brits here don't seem to have good feelings and support for thier own monarchy.

I think you are lucky to have one still, and better yet, you have the best of both worlds. You have a democracy, and you have a government that is in a position to be able to protect you from bad aspects of a monarchy, as well as even have an influence on the monarchy to do your bidding.

I understand ya'll may still have a bitter taste from the behavior of Prince Charles and the let down of that wedding, but what about William? Does he seem like a good guy? He seems determined to do the right thing to me, at least at this point.

I don't know much, but I am also curious as to what the actual finacial implications are in your monarchy. I read that while the Queen gets money from your government, she pays it back each year as well as makes a profit. I wonder if on the whole your poeple are not better off financially in what your monarchy does for you as opposed to if there wasn't one.

You, the poeple of England, actually have the power to influence your monarchy if you choose. You can make clear that you want a good king, you can decide if you want Charles or William, YOU can decide what your Royal family is going to be and how they are to represent you.

What does it say of a poeple that won't even support thier own king?

And besides, who is going to show the world proper manners and etiquitte?

It is tommarow isn't it?

I have to say I am a little disapointed that even the Brits here don't seem to have good feelings and support for thier own monarchy.

I think you are lucky to have one still, and better yet, you have the best of both worlds. You have a democracy, and you have a government that is in a position to be able to protect you from bad aspects of a monarchy, as well as even have an influence on the monarchy to do your bidding.

I understand ya'll may still have a bitter taste from the behavior of Prince Charles and the let down of that wedding, but what about William? Does he seem like a good guy? He seems determined to do the right thing to me, at least at this point.

Hi Stein,

Many people do support the monarchy - and many don't - also amongst us (as always), is our national humour; ironic, sarcastic and understatedly just plainly 'taking the piss' i.e not actually meaning like it does in other cultures, where it is knives drawn if someone is mocked. I think the cold written word in this regard doesn't do this type of thing justice. I have seen lots of situations on forums where Brits will say something that I can hear how it is meant to sound in my head, but the American reading thinks "is this guy serious? is he having a dig?"

So from my own perspective, yes he seems like a very decent guy and very kind- Also My Licentiate is from The Royal Schools of Music and I regularly use them as an exam board, which I wouldn't if I was very anti Royalist. The Royal schools of music leads in the world of classical music education, so many, many positives associated with royal.

Will I be watching though? No, I have a dinner to make for my parents and the recording of a piece to finish by someone aptly titled Britten.

Cheers

Matt

So, it's like "yea, my future king is getting married but I can't see it because I have to make noodles and play my guitar".

Perhaps what I am seeing is what a TRUE Brit does in these curcumstances. I don't know, I'm american. That's why I need the Royal Monarchy to show me how I can behave.

So, a day off isn't enough for you? Perhaps if they gave you cake...

As I write, against my better judgement, I am watching the Royal wedding (on and off)

It is more interesting than I expected

A bit of a fashion show with some beautiful guests

And the most imaginative hats outside Ascot

A touching moment as Elton and David arrived...Elton being close to Princess Diana

Victoria Beckham looking great in style

David and Samantha Cameron with an easy natural confidence

All in all an optimistic enjoyable occasion....

Wishing every happiness to a genuinely well suited couple.....

V

:-({|=

So, it's like "yea, my future king is getting married but I can't see it because I have to make noodles and play my guitar".

Perhaps what I am seeing is what a TRUE Brit does in these curcumstances. I don't know, I'm american. That's why I need the Royal Monarchy to show me how I can behave.

So, a day off isn't enough for you? Perhaps if they gave you cake...

LOL, yep (stop trying to crank me up...it is working!!!)

I am just disinterested. The so called 'day off' is a pain in the *** for me (and many other self employed people anyway), as I would normally teach in school today, but because of this, I cannot. So yes I lose a day's wages. I am not angry, but forgive me if I don't cartwheel over my 'day off' LMAO.

But yes, the very best to the wonderful couple. Versatile, thrilling to hear how it is going swingingly old boy.

Matt

Royal bump.

Taking a break. Ya'll have weddings that take too long. I would think there might be at least a royal smoke break.

On the plus side, judging from the preist words and the prayers composed by your future king and queen, there is hope for the world.

A great happy moment....

Great flair and organisation

Beautifully portrayed by the BBC with much input by the Royal Family

Great choice of hymns, music, choral pieces

Queen and Duke looking genuinely happy....

Good to have William and Kate around

The world is a happier place.....

V

:-({|=

'Middleton' - a Royal Propagandist's wet dream. "Oh my, the Crown Prince married a COMMONER!" What a crock (like our own fantasy of 'Hope and Change'), and people are just sucking it up through a straw. I'm disappointed that there was no disruption, to say the least. High-tech hegemony, it seems strangely familiar...

Yes, it is finally over. The British during the coverage also gave a shout out to those suffering from the tornados here in the US.

I would personally like to say also that best wishes also to those in Japan, where it is not hundreds but thousands, that we do not forget that there are still many suffering from natural disasters that don't make the current news. New zealand as well.

But regardless of numbers, suffering is suffering, and it is just as bad for the 310 as it is for the 12,000 and as it is for the one. Including our own Mr. Eggmuffins.

Archived