Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a new acoustic

daveinspain

Had a lot of guitars over the years..Taylors seem to be the most consistant..A couple of Martins ..a d-35 and a d-28..Guitars are an emotional exchange between you and the instrument,Because they are alive..!! If you want a gibson why not just buy a Gibson ? I have a Guild Gad 50 R that will just knock your socks off..Seems that a $500 dollar guitar can't be that good ~ but it is..Had a $100 fender with a laminate body and a Soid spruce top that was just kick butt bluesy..Who Knows ?? It's an art form..

If you were going to buy a new acoustic but it couldn't be a Gibson what would you get?

If you have 2000 euros plus, I would google all the luthiers near where you live and begin some investigating!!! If I was considering a brand name guitar, I would maybe consider a Takamine or Martin...(but in truth would really try every brand and not judge on what anyone on forums says re gear advice and see for myself)

But then there are so many good acoustics where you would least except. I mean look at this and It sounds lovely!! It is an electro acoustic steel strung guitar made by the Spanish company Alhambra- it is circa 1000 euros

13848__Alhambra_A3_Acoustic_Steel_String_Guitar_Spruce_soundboard_Matt_finish_front.jpeg

If you have 2000 euros plus, I would google all the luthiers near where you live and begin some investigating!!! If I was considering a brand name guitar, I would maybe consider a Takamine or Martin...(but in truth would really try every brand and not judge on what anyone on forums says re gear advice and see for myself)

But then there are so many good acoustics where you would least except. I mean look at this and It sounds lovely!! It is an electro acoustic steel strung guitar made by the Spanish company Alhambra- it is circa 1000 euros

13848__Alhambra_A3_Acoustic_Steel_String_Guitar_Spruce_soundboard_Matt_finish_front.jpeg

Matt, I am kicking my *** all the way down the street... I could have bought that exact guitar in a pawn shop here a couple weekes ago for 450 euros, in perfect condition... Played like a dream and sounded amazing. I was holding out for a better price and when I went to buy it it was gone... [scared] :blink:

And you just made it worse.... Thanks... [cursing]

Why can't it be a Gibson? You obviously don't have to answer that...just curious?

Well actually it could be a Gibson... Just wanted to see what other brands should be considered... I would love a Doves in flight but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon...

Thats a good question for me, because over the years, I have had, played many brands, like Martin, Larivee, Ovation, Cole Clark, etc, and I have never had a Gibson acoustic, until I recenty bought my Hummingbird Pro a month ago. I have always loved the sound of Gibson acoustics, but always thought they were out of my league. But now, I love them, and thats all I play now. So, If I were to buy another acoustic besides a Gibson, I dont know what it would be, because Im pretty much a Gibson man now. I just love the boom of a Gibson, that sound you can get out of no other acoustic guitar. I love it. Its not for everyone, but its for me. So to answer your question, personally for myself, I really don tknow what I would get, other then an OLSON, and beleive me, OLSONS are not even obtainable for me, so I dont worry about them.

Oh, I found one more.

I wold LOVE to at least try a Collings dreadnought.

Ive never even touched one as theyre impossible to get here but I do like the tone that I hear when listening to you tube vids of it.

The 1st thing I picked up that just felt right. I'm not a believer in brand names, although love my Gibson. Wanted a new instrument and played everything available. (which ain't much around here) over 1 year of grabbing hold of anything with strings, 1 day in my local shop...pulled the trigger. It just made sense. (the instrument, everything was right). So now got a piece of koa around with strings. But must admit I would like another Martin. 00-000 Sorry for the M word.

Well, I CAN'T buy a Gibson, but if I can supposed this is hypothetical, it means I can buy a new accoustic, and I can get anything I want, so I'll follow the rules.

First, I would hit the shops to see if the higher end and vintage Martin's were the same as I remember them. I wouldn't assume the lower end ones might not have a gem, I would try them too. I would'nt waste time on the custom ones, because I would be interested in tone, and I wouldn't want to throw your money down the drain just because (I assume you're buying). While I tend to gravitate toward the mahagony ones like the d-18 and 000-18, I would be looking for that magical d-28 as well.

As soon as I got a handle on those and how they sounding, I would try the copies made by Collings and Breedlove, as well as any others and various other brands take on them, to see how they compare. I would then put my attention toward variations of the design and see if any are better. I would of corse play the Larevee's, and see if the high end American made ones (Santa Cruz) are as good as the Canadian ones yet. (they didn't sound nearly as good last I tried them).

Then, I would hop on a plane to talk to our own JOE JAPAN to see if he is aware of any high quality made Guitars made to be like the Gibsons the way some make good versions of Martin. Sinse I can't have a Gibson, if I knew of a botique maker making a version of a Gibson that should count, but I don't know of any. If someone would know, it might be him.

Then, I would hop on a plane and check out all this stuff MATT is saying about these luthier made ones he keeps touting. I would want to play those already built, because I am looking for something special you just can't plan on by custom ordering. But, there could be something to all this stuff he is saying about these guitars.

While I am in Europe, I would go see you there in SPAIN to at least check out your gold top with the gold leaf finish and play all your guitars. See if that Bass player guy can maybe show me a thing or two. Maybe, set up a blues band so we could jam out a bit, maybe jam with MATT.

By then, hopefully you would have changed your mind and went ahead and let me get a Hummingbird.

Goodall, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Collings, Huss & Dalton, and Collings come to mind. There are also some nice Guilds out there that are perhaps a bit more Gibson-like than some of the others I've mentioned.

So many excellent builders out there...

"Production" guitars...Collings, Santa Cruz, Larivee...

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the "Gibson" voice as opposed to the "Martin" voiced guitars. That's purely personal choice. I'm pretty much a Gibson guy, although I've owned many many other brands.

Not a fan of new Martins at all. Again, purely subjective.

It's a nice conundrum though!! "Gee, which nice guitar...mmmmmmm" enjoy the decision making process!!!

btw, I've never been an educated guitar shopper. I go in a bunch of shops, play a pile of guitars until one tells me I HAVE to have it.

Archived