Gibson Brands Forums

An excellent guitar from an "evil" company

While I was away on vacation in Virginia, my dad and I went out to a guitar store (Specialty Guitars Plus in Charlottesville, VA--excellent store run by very nice people, check it out if you're in the area and you have the time!) to kill some time and check out a few bands that were playing there that day.

Anyway, while I was there I got to try this little beast of a Superstrat:

37111-fender-showmaster-fmt-hh-flame-maple-top-rosewood-cherry-sunburst-b-stock-large.jpg

Let me tell you guys, I didn't get to plug it in, but this was an amazing guitar! The neck was awesome, unplugged it sounded great, and the body felt sweet. On top of that, the finish was beautiful, and it was a cheap guitar! It was marked at $675, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't have the cash for it, but if I did, I would've bought it then and there, no questions asked.

I need this guitar...I could kick myself for not snatching it up when I saw it. #-o](*,) Oh well, at least I know what it is now (after maybe five minutes of Googling...)

It's a Fender Showmaster. For some reason I thought I had mentioned it in the OP. Guess not.

I've heard that some of them came with OFR bridges at some point. The one in the picture has a Fender-style bridge. The one I played has a licensed FR bridge (which seemed to work alright.) It had basically the same style finish. It was amazing. Hopefully most of them are priced in the $650-700 range, so that eventually I'll have one of my own. It looks like a great second, I think. I would prefer one of the ones with an SSH configuration, though, since I already have an HH guitar.

Can't disagree there.

BTW, for what its worth, their Japanese made guitars are all top notch. One issue I know of that may or may not be jazzmaster specific, is that the pickups are weird. The issue is that they take like a weird Strat pickup instead of a real jazzmaster pickup, but I have seen on some other boards that say just get new pickups for the japanese ones. But its all personal taste

OK, about the "evil" comment--it was a joke, guys! I like Fenders just fine. My dad plays Fender. I think Fender puts out awesome guitars. Fender's no more evil than any other large corporation (on the other hand, maybe that means they really are evil! [unsure][biggrin] )

Also Jocko: that Ibanez looks a lot like the Showmaster. What model is that?

Now that's a Fender I would buy.

Not me....

If you get a chance to play the Fender Custom Shop Showmaster, that is the one to get [thumbup] .... The Korean made ones are sub par... They sound muddy and they don't stay in tune at all. [thumbdn]

You didn't lose anything by not plugging it in. I used to own 2 of those and while they look wonderful (both of mine had quilted maple top) and are comfortable, the tone is nothing but generic.

Try the custom shop version and you'll be blown away, especially with the one with q wraparound kind of bridge. It costs close to 4 times as much tho.

EDIT: Duane already mentioned the CS showmaster so +1 to what he said.

my first thought when I saw the Showmaster was that it reminded me of a Jackson.

I may have a preference for Gibson, but I will admit that there are places where Fender is a better fit sonically. I also own a Gretsch simply because when I went shopping for a hollowbody I didn't have $3k for a Gibson and the Gretsch I ended up with was the best sounding guitar in the $1k price range. None of the Epi's in stock held a candle to it, neither did and of the used guitars that were around that price. Also, when testing my Gretsch to other supposedly identical guitars mine just sounded much more full sounding.

I eventually would like to get a standard strat and some sort of super strat, but for now I'm focused on my Gibsons. I think I would like to get one more... either another Les Paul (Classic, Traditional, or Standard depending on which I can find and like best) or an SG Standard... I'd also consider Custom models if I found one for a good price; especially if they are white.

I've also made a decision from now on, that since I have my dream guitars now (an SG and a Les Paul) and don't really "need" more guitars, that the ones I do buy should at least be something that is going to hold or increase in value. This way at least my wife can't say I'm wasting my money and it won't be a waste if I eventually sell it for the same or more money than I paid for the it. I don't think my SG Special will increase in value for a very long time considering how many of them are out there, but it's ok as there's no intention to sell it.

You didn't lose anything by not plugging it in. I used to own 2 of those and while they look wonderful (both of mine had quilted maple top) and are comfortable, the tone is nothing but generic.

Try the custom shop version and you'll be blown away, especially with the one with q wraparound kind of bridge. It costs close to 4 times as much tho.

EDIT: Duane already mentioned the CS showmaster so +1 to what he said.

I think thats ultimately why they failed. Beautiful to look at but horrible voicing.

The Sarah Palin of guitars.

I liked the Showmasters. I am sure they had some USA models though ( not CS, but made in USA ). I had an idea last October for Fender called the Shredcaster. Standard strat layout but with a real Floyd, compound radius fingerboards, and hard mounted 'buckers. ( any Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio would go great in that guitar. I also like some of Bareknuckle's pickups for superstrats, but I doubt Fender would use those. Too boutique for them. My choice would be the PAF Pro ). I was on the Fender forum at the time ( hate it there! ), and I posted my idea in the Ask Mike Eldred section. They all ridiculed me ( even Mike himself! ) and said " Haven't you ever heard of Charvel?". I know damn well who Charvel is, and believe me, I LOVE their guitars, but my MANY bad experiences on that forum ( especially with Mike Eldred ) are driving me away from Fender and that whole corporation. ( Yes, even the Kaman brands ). I still love Stratocasters and Teles as much as much as the next guy, but Gibson is my home. It has been a GREAT experience here since I joined last September. Best forum ever! Everybody is cool and friendly here. Very unlike those Fenderites ( especially the Custom Shop crowd ) that think they're too good for everything. AND on the CS section, I am sick and tired of people treating Mr. Eldred like God. He treated me CRAP. So what if I can't afford a CS guitar? So what if I think that I could get a Mexican strat playing 10x better than a pre-worn 50s RI strat that costs like 5x as much? So what if I think that CS means nothing if the guitar ain't set up right in the first place? Yeah, that forum is full of idiots ( with the exception of a few, such as Cookieman ). To be honest with you the best Strat I ever heard was a G&L.

I liked the Showmasters. I am sure they had some USA models though ( not CS, but made in USA ). I had an idea last October for Fender called the Shredcaster. Standard strat layout but with a real Floyd, compound radius fingerboards, and hard mounted 'buckers. ( any Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio would go great in that guitar. I also like some of Bareknuckle's pickups for superstrats, but I doubt Fender would use those. Too boutique for them. My choice would be the PAF Pro ). I was on the Fender forum at the time ( hate it there! ), and I posted my idea in the Ask Mike Eldred section. They all ridiculed me ( even Mike himself! ) and said " Haven't you ever heard of Charvel?". I know damn well who Charvel is, and believe me, I LOVE their guitars, but my MANY bad experiences on that forum ( especially with Mike Eldred ) are driving me away from Fender and that whole corporation. ( Yes, even the Kaman brands ). I still love Stratocasters and Teles as much as much as the next guy, but Gibson is my home. It has been a GREAT experience here since I joined last September. Best forum ever! Everybody is cool and friendly here. Very unlike those Fenderites ( especially the Custom Shop crowd ) that think they're too good for everything. AND on the CS section, I am sick and tired of people treating Mr. Eldred like God. He treated me CRAP. So what if I can't afford a CS guitar? So what if I think that I could get a Mexican strat playing 10x better than a pre-worn 50s RI strat that costs like 5x as much? So what if I think that CS means nothing if the guitar ain't set up right in the first place? Yeah, that forum is full of idiots ( with the exception of a few, such as Cookieman ). To be honest with you the best Strat I ever heard was a G&L.

Hey thanks my friend.

Archived