Gibson Brands Forums

Father's Day

Californiaman

What's a perfect Father's Day for you guys?

I'm going golfing with my dad.

Then we're going to hang out and barbecue.

I have no idea what my kids are getting me, but my wife has hinted that it's something big that I'm going to like.

So we'll see.

:-k

My perfect fathers day is when I see that ****** in a coffin...freaking dead beat, doesnt call at Xmas, doesnt call on my Bday and when I was 12 he sent me a post card from Disneyland that stated "Wish you were here" when he took the "step-family" there thats cold hearted and rude, my mother didnt tell me till five years later. Now my step father on the other hand is a Scotch fan like myself so I got him a nice bottle of Glenfarclas 25 Year single malt, nothing beats a whiskey thats old enough to order its own drink! Hopefully most of you have had better luck with father figures, and for those of you that have had similar luck to me, just rememeber what comes around goes around, eventually parents need someone to take care of them when they are old, and well for me I am going to tell him to talk to my step sister or one of my step brothers.

I had one of those childhoods where my dad taught me to fish, coached my baseball teams, taught me to drive, etc. I was 18 years old when I found out, by accident, that he was not my biological father. My mom had been married to loser who left her while she was still pregnant with me. She later married 'Dad' when I was too young to remember. I look back on my childhood and I can't think of a thing that might have been different if he and I were blood related. The knowledge that I have only makes me respect him more. My prayer is that I am as good of a father to my own kids.

Here's to my dad, and others out there like him. [thumbup]

my father can rot in his own piss for all i care, I on the other hand will be going out for the day with MY son...safe in the knowledge that i'll never turn out like his grandad.

I had one of those childhoods where my dad taught me to fish, coached my baseball teams, taught me to drive, etc. I was 18 years old when I found out, by accident, that he was not my biological father. My mom had been married to loser who left her while she was still pregnant with me. She later married 'Dad' when I was too young to remember. I look back on my childhood and I can't think of a thing that might have been different if he and I were blood related. The knowledge that I have only makes me respect him more. My prayer is that I am as good of a father to my own kids.

Here's to my dad, and others out there like him. [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

Amen to that boys. Steve I feel the same way you do. I have spent the last 20 years of my life telling myself I will not be like my dad, I will not turn out like that pile of garbage. Two years ago my sister had a child and he tried coming back into her life, and well to put it simple she basically told him to fark off, he couldnt bother to be a father so why bother being a grandfather, its too late to start now. I was kinda shocked but impressed that one of us finally told him straight up, being a pacifist I tend to avoid awkward situations like that.

My Dad passed 23 years ago. I miss him every day.

I'll see my daughter for the morning only. She usually makes me something wonderful with her incredible artistic talent. My wife and I will have a brunch down by the beach and I'm going to play her some songs I'm working on to get her opinion on the acoustic (Yep I'm going to make it about me!). Very much looking forward to the day.

Wow...

some of you, and for good reason I see, don't have that great of a relationship with your dad. I've been angry at mine and not spoken to him at times, but we always seem to resolve our differences.

I'm just taking it for what it is.

I'm a son and a dad and at times I might not be the best son or dad, but I'm glad I'm a son and a dad.

I work in the morning, probably go out to breakfast with him before hand, then when I get back mid afternoon, spend some time with him, grill some steaks, share a beer or two and watch whatever crappy movie he loves.

I'm sorry some of you have had a bad experience with your parents. My grandfather, my fathers father, was a terrible, disgusting, abusive man. Somehow, my father didn't end up that way and I thank him everyday for that. No matter how much he pisses me off, by not understanding me, not getting my music, he is always there to support me. I love my dad

... and I thank him everyday for that. No matter how much he pisses me off, by not understanding me, not getting my music, he is always there to support me. I love my dad

Exactly. Cherish those times together because someday all you'll have are memories.

Well, I'm a dad and a father....hmmmm.......got a bunch of kids......

I haven't seen them in years, that's fine........

My dad ( who adopted me ) died in 1987 ish.......Very good man..........

If I knew how to post U-tube vids, I'd post Cat Steven's FATHER and SON........

Enjoy your day, all you dads.........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ........

For those that don't speak to your father You have your own memories and history so hopefully your doing what's right but you might want to remember that people can change, My father and I had a really rough time, he was not a caring man in any way I don't ever remember him touching me unless it was in anger, he was abusive and usually drinking or drunk so he even put me in the hospital quite a few times before I got old enough and big enough to fight back. He also kicked me out of the house at 16 when he remarried a much younger woman so wasn't much to love as a parent. He did however tell me many years later that he was sorry and regretted most of his life choices including drinking and the way he had treated me. When I asked him why he had been that way he sadly said that was the way his father was and he honestly didn't know any better. He passed away about ten years ago and while we were never super close like some father and sons we had gotten past our demons and we came to a peaceful coexistence at least and he was a much better grandfather than father. I was glad to be at that place at least when he died and that i had come to understand his choices and life at least.

He pretty much was everything I was adamant I would never be as a parent but like he said he didn't really know how to be a parent or a spouse as he married four times at least that I'm aware of, There wasn't much help or role models for parenting back then parent's especially fathers often felt if they financially supported a family they were doing what was required.

Not trying to preach or tell anybody they should run out and call a bad parent as a police officer I really learned just how bad parents could be to there children but sometimes there struggling just to get by also.

For those that don't speak to your father You have your own memories and history so hopefully your doing what's right but you might want to remember that people can change, My father and I had a really rough time, he was not a caring man in any way I don't ever remember him touching me unless it was in anger, he was abusive and usually drinking or drunk so he even put me in the hospital quite a few times before I got old enough and big enough to fight back. He also kicked me out of the house at 16 when he remarried a much younger woman so wasn't much to love as a parent. He did however tell me many years later that he was sorry and regretted most of his life choices including drinking and the way he had treated me. When I asked him why he had been that way he sadly said that was the way his father was and he honestly didn't know any better. He passed away about ten years ago and while we were never super close like some father and sons we had gotten past our demons and we came to a peaceful coexistence at least and he was a much better grandfather than father. I was glad to be at that place at least when he died and that i had come to understand his choices and life at least.

He pretty much was everything I was adamant I would never be as a parent but like he said he didn't really know how to be a parent or a spouse as he married four times at least that I'm aware of, There wasn't much help or role models for parenting back then parent's especially fathers often felt if they financially supported a family they were doing what was required.

Not trying to preach or tell anybody they should run out and call a bad parent as a police officer I really learned just how bad parents could be to there children but sometimes there struggling just to get by also.

excellentmsp_thumbup.gif

I'm genuinely sorry to read that some of you have had a rough time with your fathers.

My own father died a few years ago. If I can turn out to be half as fine a gentleman as he was then I'll have done very well indeed.

As for me; Spend a lot of very enjoyable quality-time with my wife and 6-y-o daughter. Making them happy makes me happy.

P.

Some of you may remember I put a post a while back about my dad having lung cancer and being in hospital. We didn't think he'd pull through. But he did and he's still fighting it. He looks like he's just walked out of Belsen but he's strong inside. I'm glad he's still here. We've talked a lot and got closer. He was down the pit at 15. Was in WW2 and he's still strong. I raise my glass to all the good Dads out there. Cheers Dads!!! X

Hello, Fellow Babies.

Don't know what to do for Father's day. I miss him very much.

My Dad was a Navy officer. He was in the mostly in the Fleet Navy, where he was usually stationed on air craft carriers, he served as flight crew and ship's crew. I was confused because he wore so many uniforms, kacky tan, Navy blue, whites, air crew green, and dungarees - I couldn't figure it out. He was also a rancher - when he retired from the Navy - and there just didn't seem to be anything he and my Grandfather couldn't do or build. He taught me carpentry, I watched him build a garage, a green house, and a car port before I was old enough to really help. He was proud of his naval career, but he didn't brag. He had served aboard the Hornet that delivered Dolittle's raid, he was still aboard when the ship was sunk off the Santa Cruz Islands. The ship fought on in spite of two successful kamikase attacks, eight torpedos, three 500 lb. bombs, fires raging above and below desks, and two Japanese cruisers that fired some 200 rounds with their 5 inch guns at the crippled carrier. For his efforts in saving the crew and securing the one unexploded enemy bomb rolling in the fires between aviation fuel compartments and the gunpowder lockers he was awarded the Navy Cross - the rare Black Widow.

None of the men in my Father's side were especially tall. My brother and I are are both considerably bigger than my Father was. All the men on my Mothers side were bigger, which helped because law enforcement was practically the family business. Four generations of cops, down to each of my cousins, and their daughters and sons. I may be bigger than my Father, but none of my accomplishments measure up. I've never had children, so I have accomplished nothing like the selflessness of a father or mother who devotes thousands of hours to providing a home and raising children.

I have never forgotten the thousand acts of love my parents bestowed upon us kids: picnics, being tucked into bed, the puppy for Christmas... In my childhood I wanted to be just like my father, to smoke cigarettes and drive a jeep in the desert. I remember the smiling giant that gave me endless piggy back rides, I remember the sweet smell of Camel cigarettes in his pocket when he hugged us kids when he came home from work. I remember his patience when he taught me to ride and take care of horses. He taught me to shoot my 22 firing at a ridge behind the barn where he improvised a shooting range.

I'll never forget his towering rage when I was too impatient to wait for him to teach me to drive the tractor. What ten year-old imagines anything could go wrong? I managed to start it without knowing how to use the clutch to shift gears - not that I could reach it while sitting on the seat. I rode it backwards over the disc/harrow that was attached, and it continued on backwards until it smashed into the side of the greenhouse. I guess the engine probably stalled out, because I finally got it moving foreword.... I can't believe he let me live....

I am sorry for those of you that didn't have a good relation with your father. Mine was pretty rocky for years; and it was never really resolved, so I understand that some problems have no easy or satisfactory solution. Maybe if I was smarter in social or family relations... The best thing - if only for my own emotional well-being - is that in their final year when they were too sick to care for themselves, I was able to move home and help take care of them. My sister and I did the work, the gang of dogs we had took care of the entertainment. We started calling the house, "the Rocking Puppy Ranch." And hard as it was emotionally, I'm very thankful - let me repeat that, I am very thankful I was there, and I was finally able to give my parents a gift - someone to care for them - that they couldn't just buy for themselves.

I'll never forget that there was once a house where I was always welcome with a place at the table, and a bed if needed, and a loyal, supportive family. My heart is breaking....

I feel for you folks that had a rocky relationship or none with your dad.

I count myself very lucky. My dad was always there for me and my brother. I'm sure there were times he would have liked to kick my a$$ but didn't. He just turned 75 and is in good health and I have a great relationship with both he and my mom.

unfortunatley I won't be seeing him this weekend but I will definitely speak with him.

I'm a step father to a wonderful 23 year old young lady. I've been around since she was 9. I've never tried to be "dad" to her but have always treated her as my own. In fact I'm really good friends with her actual father (my wife's ex) who will be joining my wife and I and my inlaws Sunday afternoon for a cookout and a few brews. Its kinda complicated but it works for us.

My step daughter always does something nice for me on father's day. I generally refer to her as my daughter.

Looking forward to a nice weekend.

Dave

Archived