Gibson Brands Forums

So what lick gives you the most headache?

rocketman

I'm (slowly) getting through SRV's Rude Mood. It's intense but the lick that is taking me the most time is at the beginning (0:10 mark). I started out slow and it's almost there. I practice it about 10-20 times a day. It WILL NOT defeat me; at least, that's what I keep telling myself. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHVpDwMS2k

Tell us about what lick is driving you crazy these days...

It has taken me ages to get a passable copy of the "air raid siren" sounding riff that Jimi does by using two handed hammerons while using the whammy bar on Machine Gun.That is one of the most difficult passages in the world to emulate and do any justice to as you have to bend the G string almost off the neck on the 14th fret while doing a 2 handed hammeron and all this while manipulating the whammy with your forearm.An upside down Strat is almost esential to pull this off because of the nature of the whammy.I spent years playing Hendrix covers professionally and consequently strung a couple of lefty Strats right handed-it makes a huge difference to your technique.

Rocketman,

MAD Kudos to you for even ATTEMPTING to learn it at all. I'm having trouble trying to get the rhythm with the picking hand and my fretting hand. Definitely an advance song.

Lick that gives me a headache? Hm, I guess anything that SRV has played really.

I'm (slowly) getting through SRV's Rude Mood. It's intense but the lick that is taking me the most time is at the beginning (0:10 mark). I started out slow and it's almost there. I practice it about 10-20 times a day. It WILL NOT defeat me; at least, that's what I keep telling myself. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHVpDwMS2k

Tell us about what lick is driving you crazy these days...

It's that right hand technique that'll drive you nuts.

#-o OHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you mean to PLAY..........

I thought y'all meant which one drives you to change the station soon as it hits.

That would be, "Sweet Child' o Mine" ........ THANX SLASH......... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

SO SICK OF THAT ONE.......... I think he is too now............ and he hadda play it at the Super Bowl :-({|=

I don't really play yet so my real answer would be "the opening riff to Stairway" .......... ROFL ... :o :P [lol]

Gotta get it down so I can go into a guitar shop and see if they'll actually kick me out -- :lol:

Still trying to play "Bark at the moon" correctly,I've got the right handed picking technique down at speed darn good.What I find hard is the little finger on my left hand on the e-string every other down stroke.

Still trying to play "Bark at the moon" correctly,I've got the right handed picking technique down at speed darn good.What I find hard is the little finger on my left hand on the e-string every other down stroke.

That is one tough sucker to play..... Jack E Lee is so underrated

"I Know a Little" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Lazy" by Deep Purple are tough for me to get note-for-note. I usually just end up playing it "my way". [blush]

But you get kudos for having great taste in music.

For me, being a Zep fanatic, Heartbreaker has always been my nemesis. I've got the sloppy down, I'm just not sloppy in the right places. That run at the beginning of the Black Dog solo is hit and miss for me. I have to remember to not rest my hand on the body. ........some day......

But you get kudos for having great taste in music.

For me, being a Zep fanatic, Heartbreaker has always been my nemesis. I've got the sloppy down, I'm just not sloppy in the right places. That run at the beginning of the Black Dog solo is hit and miss for me. I have to remember to not rest my hand on the body. ........some day......

Heartbreaker is my favorite solo.

:)

L

I've never done a quote before but this was from Duane v and my post about "Bark at the Moon"

That is one tough sucker to play..... Jack E Lee is so underrated

I gotta agree Jake is big time underrated from the rest of Ozzy's axe slinger's.I really liked "The Ultimate Sin"(I believe Jake's only recording with the Oz) and another song from that album gave me trouble was "Killer of Giants" some wicked unusual chord changes at least i had trouble.

Archived