Gibson Brands Forums

Lets see if this creates as much angst as it did with my band

Enmitygauged

As my recording professor put it, you are what you do for 40 hours a week.

If you play music 40 hours a week, you are a musician. If you fix plumbing for 40 hours a week, and play guitar, you're still a plumber.

IMO, I see it differently, but that's another argument for this thread. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I say a musician is someone who creates music. Period.

My friend argues that because I don't know proper theory (well I know some, but ask me to write out a mixolydian scale in C# and I'll give you the finger), I don't spend 5 hours a day practicing and I can't sight read music as well as he can. I tell him I'm more of a musician because I can improvise, and my ear is way better than his because I don't know proper theory. That's me being a snarky bastard, but whatever

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As my recording professor put it, you are what you do for 40 hours a week.

If you play music 40 hours a week, you are a musician. If you fix plumbing for 40 hours a week, and play guitar, you're still a plumber.

IMO, I see it differently, but that's another argument for this thread. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I say a musician is someone who creates music. Period.

My friend argues that because I don't know proper theory (well I know some, but ask me to write out a mixolydian scale in C# and I'll give you the finger), I don't spend 5 hours a day practicing and I can't sight read music as well as he can. I tell him I'm more of a musician because I can improvise, and my ear is way better than his because I don't know proper theory. That's me being a snarky bastard, but whatever

I used to play guitar for 40 hours a week and was a field service technician for 40 hours a week.

Which was I??

I write songs... I also play more than one instrument, but do not make my living at it...

My eldest son wrote a song on his accordian when he was 5... so he is obviously a musician, right?

My youngest son composed a tune at 3 years old... so he is, as well..... right?

Some of these definitions just don't hold water when practically applied. Just sayin'

Tabs have been around a long time, since lutes and such, to facilitate faster learning and reading.

Someone can read music and not play well,

Someone else can play well and not read music.

They're both musicians.

Performing is something else all together,

Your band needs to chill.

According to most of this thread. If you go to your local diy store and buy a load of plumbing tools. Then install your own central heating, you're a plumber.

Even if you can be neater than a trained plumber in his work. You are not a plumber.

A plumber is someone that has trained and passed exams. You'd be a competant diy'er, but not a plumber.

In my eyes a plumber is trained. But the other is very good at plumbing.

The bottom line is. You can be a s**t musician or you can be a great guitar player. Even if you do it for a living. If you are not trained, you're not a musician. Steve Lukather is a Musician. Jimmy Hendrix was a guitarist.

A musician is someone who plays one or more musical instruments with proficiency.

That was going to be my exact response.

If you can play well enough that people will listen to you and you can entertain, you are a musician. Just because you don't read music doesn't mean you can't play that baby and make it scream.

I don't read music proficiently, but I can play guitar proficiently, so I consider myself a musician.

I love when this topic comes up: it's subjective and there is no really wrong (or right) answer. perfect for a good debate! :)

I like to thing of musicianship as something you do, not are. When you are making music, you are a musician, quality and quantity have nothing to do with it.

This way i can say things like "professional musician", "amateur musician", and even "bad musician."

Don

I love when this topic comes up: it's subjective and there is no really wrong (or right) answer. perfect for a good debate! :)

I like to thing of musicianship as something you do, not are. When you are making music, you are a musician, quality and quantity have nothing to do with it.

This way i can say things like "professional musician", "amateur musician", and even "bad musician."

Don

You could add that to my post. Pro Plumber, Amateur Plumber and bad Plumber. A bad Plumber could also be a Pro Plumber

You guys are weird. Arguing about words.

I gotta agree with Shred..... you guys fight about stuff that doesn't matter.

Why not argue about the structure of the opening chord to "Hard Day's Night"?

At least that COULD have an acutall effect on your performance!

I gotta agree with Shred..... you guys fight about stuff that doesn't matter.

Why not argue about the structure of the opening chord to "Hard Day's Night"?

At least that COULD have an acutall effect on your performance!

Arguing about stuff that matters can suck. Arguing about stuff that DOESN'T matter is just for fun.

The Good Book says, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." Meaning, how you are defined can vary from person to person. Your heart tells you what you are to you.

You can show a picture of a guy to 4 different people. One could say, "That's my son." One says, "That's my plumber." One says, "That's my bass player." One says, "That's my friend." All are correct. So who/what is he? Ask him.

I could not begin to care if I meet someone else's definition of 'musician'. I refuse to worry about the opinions of those I don't respect anyway.

The Good Book says, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." Meaning, how you are defined can vary from person to person. Your heart tells you what you are to you.

You can show a picture of a guy to 4 different people. One could say, "That's my son." One says, "That's my plumber." One says, "That's my bass player." One says, "That's my friend." All are correct. So who/what is he? Ask him.

I could not begin to care if I meet someone else's definition of 'musician'. I refuse to worry about the opinions of those I don't respect anyway.

Those who are your friends will always think the best of you;

those who are your enemies will always think the worst.

Who cares what those whom you know not think of you?

As I make music, I am therefore a musician.

Archived