Gibson Brands Forums

best drummer?

chris.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In rock, drums are the meter. In jazz, drums are color. If you can combine the two without sounding like a cheesy, fusion student, you are golden.

or, sounding arrogant, at which point you become Ginger Baker. :)

John Bonham

Neil Peart

Gene Hoglan

Dave Lombardo

It all comes down to the hexi kick (6 kick drum beats per SECOND), if the drummer can tame that beast they are a god in my eyes. I really loved Bonham's drumming though, he was really heavy with both sticks and his hands (watch a live performance of Moby ****) I can see why they didnt want to find a replacement.

WRONG!! :) Kieth Moon is the greatest rock drummer of all time, case closed! Bonham wished he could be Moonie.

Although, Bill Ward is my personal favorite.

I'd beg to differ sir. Keith Moon was good but not as good as Bonzo.

WRONG!! :) Kieth Moon is the greatest rock drummer of all time, case closed! Bonham wished he could be Moonie.

No, you are wrong. Moonie is one of the greatest, but did not have the pocket playing groove of Bonham. I will give Moonie extra points for that insane personality. He was F'ing crazy. Who could match that?

Bill Ward - now you're talking. On youtube there is a Black Sabbath concert from Paris. Not sure the year, but it was just before Paranoid came out. Check out War Pigs from that show. Ward puts on a clinic.

No, you are wrong. Moonie is one of the greatest, but did not have the pocket playing groove of Bonham. I will give Moonie extra points for that insane personality. He was F'ing crazy. Who could match that?

Bill Ward - now you're talking. On youtube there is a Black Sabbath concert from Paris. Not sure the year, but it was just before Paranoid came out. Check out War Pigs from that show. Ward puts on a clinic.

Oh both Bonzo and Moon were pretty insane, check out Moon in the studio here, Bonzo to my knowledge wasnt so "goofy" when playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw

...However when the work was done the partying with Bonzo got pretty nuts (kinda a messed up and weird story, dont read if your squeamish)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_episode

The rockers back in the day sure did know how to have fun.

Did Bonham have a muppet created in his honor? No. I rest my case ;)

Actually, its only speculated that he was created after Moon, some speculate Mick Fleetwood and Billy Joel said it was based on his drummer Liberty DeVitto (YA RIGHT) original sketches for the character Animal did not indicate he was based on a particular musician. Only Jim Henson could really tell us and yeah thats not going to happen cause Walt Disney refuses to resurrect him with his necronomic spells, yeah that's right Mickey is really the devil! As you can see below the original sketches were pretty, ummmmmm...simple! Its hard for me to chose because both are really good fits, maybe it was a combo of both? The band name always got me wondering Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, that kinda reminds of Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show.

Animal-sketch.jpg

Actually Bonham loved the drumming of Wing's Joe English. Macca tells a great story of Bonham following them around on the 76 Wings over America tour because he loved Joe's playing.

+1 on Bill Ward--also a nod to Joe Goncalves from Winter and Chris Hakius from Sleep/Asbestosdeath.

Actually, for that matter, I'm gonna shoot a nod to the new guy in Sleep, Jason Roeder. I saw him earlier on in the summer and he just blew me away--you need to be really conscientious to be able to keep the time in such slow songs, along with the right amount of flash and flourish.

Each drummer has his/her own style. I tend to favor drummers who never want to stop learning. Neil Peart is in his 50s and he's still taking lessons! All are the ones listed here are great but no one is the best. BTW, here's Neil playing at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert. He actually thought he did a terrible job because he very nervous and not loose enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9333XiR4U

Each drummer has his/her own style. I tend to favor drummers who never want to stop learning. Neil Peart is in his 50s and he's still taking lessons! All are the ones listed here are great but no one is the best. BTW, here's Neil playing at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert. He actually thought he did a terrible job because he very nervous and not loose enough...

I cringe every time I see this. The solo is fine, it's when he plays with the full band. Hey Neil, lay back; swing it. Not sure what made him think he could play that. He's a rock drummer and should stick to that.

Archived