Gibson Brands Forums

A New Finish for the Epi LP Traditional! NEW INFO!!!

midiman56

So far we've received these great guitars in ebony. wine red and a really nice looking goldtop. Here's a new finish that just showed up today that I hadn't seen yet ... a non-burst amber plain top:

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Here you can kind of see the glossy front of the guitar as well as the satin finished back and sides:

IMG_0149.jpg

...and here is the "SG stripy" back:

IMG_0150.jpg

As much as I like bursts, I have to admit that this is a pretty attractive finish (it looks better in real life). Such a great, versatile guitar for $500. Anyway ... just sharing something that was new to me. Hope it hasn't been too redundant! [tongue]

Jim

EDIT: This guitar has just been added to the GC WEbsite (not a word about it on the Epi site). Guess what ... apparently this guitar is made from Korina! Read about it here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Korina-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-106540735-i1910079.gc#

I dunno ... it looks pretty "orange" for Korina to me and it sure has some weight on it for what is usually a lighter wood ... but that's the claim. Just thought I'd give you another heads-up!

J.

Very nice. That's a very good looking finish.

I wonder if Epiphone will do anything like this on the Standard? The Plaintop is now showing as "discontinued" on Epiphone.com, so it would be nice to have some other woodgrain finish options other than plus tops.

Of course they had the '56 Goldtop "discontinued" for a while even though I don't think it ever fully went away - just became a MF/GC exclusive.

Wow, thanks for sharing. I like the back as much as the front. That looks like one nice Epi! Even looks like a one piece body!

That guit appears to be a Mahogany veneer on both faces, same as they typically use on the backside. It's hard to tell but the veneer could easily be 1 piece.

I wonder if the body is all Mahogany without a cap, like a Custom model.

That guit appears to be a Mahogany veneer on both faces, same as they typically use on the backside. It's hard to tell but the veneer could easily be 1 piece.

I wonder if the body is all Mahogany without a cap, like a Custom model.

Think that's exactly what we're looking at with this one, James. The wine red version is exactly the same: some really nice grain and what appears to be a one piece veneer on the front and back. It's impossible to tell on the ebony and goldtop. These guitars are the business, IMHO. Good weight to them, extremely playable with great sustain and the coil splitting gives them a lot of versatility. My only small issue is that they left the back of the neck a bit too rough for my taste ... more like the Gibson "faded series" than a true satin finish ... nothing that couldn't be smmothed out a bit if you felt the need.

You guys know that I own a Gibson Traditional Pro. I'm here to tell you that while there ARE differences in the the guitars, this Epi really holds its own at a quarter of the price! One of their best values.

Jim

So far we've received these great guitars in ebony. wine red and a really nice looking goldtop. Here's a new finish that just showed up today that I hadn't seen yet ... a non-burst amber plain top:

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Here you can kind of see the glossy front of the guitar as well as the satin finished back and sides:

IMG_0149.jpg

...and here is the "SG stripy" back:

IMG_0150.jpg

As much as I like bursts, I have to admit that this is a pretty attractive finish (it looks better in real life). Such a great, versatile guitar for $500. Anyway ... just sharing something that was new to me. Hope it hasn't been too redundant! [tongue]

Jim

EDIT: This guitar has just been added to the GC WEbsite (not a word about it on the Epi site). Guess what ... apparently this guitar is made from Korina! Read about it here:

http://www.guitarcen...35-i1910079.gc#

I dunno ... it looks pretty "orange" for Korina to me and it sure has some weight on it for what is usually a lighter wood ... but that's the claim. Just thought I'd give you another heads-up!

J.

I would agree, it does look a bit orange for Korina. Especially when you compare it to the other korina guits (Hamer, etc.). I definitely like the finish though! When I can scrounge up $5 bills, I may have to buy me one. I'll give you a call Midiman! eusa_think.gif

I dunno ... it looks pretty "orange" for Korina to me

Exhibit A: the Epiphone Korina Explorer.

_c501381_image_0.jpg

In fact, looking at that back photo, I'm tempted to say they've done an Explorer job, and stuck two excellent Korina veneers over a scrap Korina* body. :-k

*Korina-like

Raw Black Limba (Korina) is rather pale (it can almost be white with dark lines) and with tinted lacquer it can be any color so don't judge by color alone - Korina grain is almost identical to Sapele Mahogany so it seems we now have our answer - the guits are Korina.

I like the plain top! (Even if it's not blue)

And Jim, everytiime you post, I hate my job a little bit more! [biggrin]

I do have a fairly cool gig, don't I?

If only I didn't have to deal with all of those finicky guitar players!!! [tongue]

Jim

You guys know that I own a Gibson Traditional Pro. I'm here to tell you that while there ARE differences in the the guitars, this Epi really holds its own at a quarter of the price! One of their best values.

Jim

I have an Epi LP Traditional Pro, and I think it is really a great guitar and a great value. I love the neck, and the pickups are great, too. The sustain is also impressive.

If anyone is considering this guitar -- get it. Now there are even more finishes to choose from.

Although the amber looks cool I think that the wine on my Trad. Pro looks much better however I'd love to see one in a lemon or cherry burst-I'd even be prepared to spend a few bucks more for the finish.

Archived