Gibson Brands Forums

IRENE!

Steven Tari

Last time we had a hurricane that came up the coast like this we were without power for a week and water for two weeks. I just picked up 14 gallons of gas for my generator. 60 pounds ice for the 5 gal Igloo water cooler and Ice chests. Tieing down is going faster because now I have a new garage to put the stuff in. I just feel sorry for you northern boys in the big city. If you lose power for a week is that going to stop y'all living in those big buildings or are there generators to run the elevators for y'all? Wish Y'all well during the storm. [thumbup]

Guest rogerb

I have family in Virginia Beach tying everything down getting ready for Irene. This on the heels of being bounced around by the earthquake. [crying]

I'm a little confused. Back in '96 I was in Virginia for Fran. It was a Category 3 that quickly downgraded when it hit the shore, in a short time it was a Tropical Storm. I was running around like an Easterner in an Earthquake while the locals were setting up deck chairs in front of thier sliders to watch the storm 'till the power came back on.

Afterwards all I heard was, "Oh that was nothing, you should have been here for (Insert big storm name here)". What's different about this Category 2 that makes it so dangerous?

Looks like it's going to land in about the same place as Fran, that's why I'm using it a s a reference.

I'm a little confused. Back in '96 I was in Virginia for Fran. It was a Category 3 that quickly downgraded when it hit the shore, in a short time it was a Tropical Storm. I was running around like an Easterner in an Earthquake while the locals were setting up deck chairs in front of thier sliders to watch the storm 'till the power came back on.

Afterwards all I heard was, "Oh that was nothing, you should have been here for (Insert big storm name here)". What's different about this Category 2 that makes it so dangerous?

Looks like it's going to land in about the same place as Fran, that's why I'm using it a s a reference.

I hope your right bro. I.m in Jersey and I'm getting a bit nervous.

I took my wifes car out yesterday to get gas, today when I went to get mine it had gone up by a nickel. Yall have a good night. I'm heading to work on the water front and get off about the time the fan is hit by Irene.So wish you CArolina boys good luck tonight.I'll keep looking and tell y'all if anything happens tonight. LATER [confused]

I took my wifes car out yesterday to get gas, today when I went to get mine it had gone up by a nickel. Yall have a good night. I'm heading to work on the water front and get off about the time the fan is hit by Irene.So wish you CArolina boys good luck tonight.I'll keep looking and tell y'all if anything happens tonight. LATER [confused]

Funny that every time there is a scare about weather, terrorism, etc. gas prices shoot up. At least yours was mild though, when the towers were hit on 9/11 gas shot up $1.50 here until some store owners were prosecuted.

I'm looking forward to it, with some trepidation. Last summer we had a storm with winds clocked at 95 mph (153 kph), I had to run outside for some reason (can't quite remember), and I was getting buffeted around like I weighed next to nothing. Loads of trees went down, one in my backyard, about 7 150 footers in the park next door. It was an incredible, and frightening experience.

Mother nature always wins.

Even at 70mph thats allot of possible damage. A quick reference is Katrina it was a Cat2 when she came ashore but she was also a huge storm just like this one and the damage was quite complete. It would have been more if this was as populated as it is up north.

Katrina was a Cat 3 when it hit Louisiana w/ 125+ MPH winds. The north east has nothing to worry about if this is downgraded to a cat 1 or tropical storm by the time it hits them. From what I see it's supposed to be a Cat 1 before it makes landfall this morning. A whole lot of hype by the media it appears. Get the essentials, hunker down, and don't get to excited. It's probably not gonna be that exciting.

Just got home from work. The winds are getting up there and it rained all night. The way I get the weatherman about the time I go into the yard tonight, Irene will be sitting off Virginia Beach and be gone when I get off in the morning. So I told my boss as long as they don't shut down the Downtown tunnel I'll be into work tonight. If they do ,Oh well I'm caught. Got to take a shower. Soaked from messing with Squids trying not to get wet all night. dry.gif

Our local weatherman didn't think much of ole' Juan about a decade ago. After the storm he was into Canadian Tire (where my future wife was working at the time) buying a generator. The whole time she was ringing him out at the checkout all she could think was "Shouldn't you have known and prepared for this first?".

Most of Manhattan is only a few feet above sea level. The subways are below it. This is a huge storm and regardless of the wind speed, it is pushing a lot of water into a very densely populated and in some cases already very saturated land. This is nothing to laugh at.

Don't get hung up on Cat. numbers. A hurricane is nothing to mess with. If you're at the wrong place at the wrong time, you pay the price. I've lived in S. FL since 1959, been in a few. Stay safe folks.

How can you complain about prices over there? You've had it so good for decades.

I pay $10.36 a gallon for diesel here in the UK. What do you pay?

I've just looked it up. The New York average in currently $4.22. But it goes as low as $3.70 a gallon.

Two thirds lower than here. Joke.

Anyhow. Take care and watch your animals in the storm too.

According to the National Data Bouy Center and the Intellicast web sites, Irene made landfall

in New York as a Tropical Storm. It seems as if the news and weather TV channels have not

received this data; or why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Lots of trees down and some flooding in my area. Other than a mess to clean up, and some water coming into my sun-room, our house made it through OK.

What really sucked for me, is that we had what would probably have been the best gig of our year booked at a great dock bar in Baltimore which had to be canceled. :-({|=

Edit: Ironically our band's name is "No Excuses" #-o

Lots of trees down and some flooding in my area. Other than a mess to clean up, and some water coming into my sun-room, our house made it through OK.

What really sucked for me, is that we had what would probably have been the best gig of our year booked at a great dock bar in Baltimore which had to be canceled. :-({|=

Edit: Ironically our band's name is "No Excuses" #-o

Sorry to hear about your gig. It cleared here at about 7 am. Has it finally passed y'all yet?

Sorry to hear about your gig. It cleared here at about 7 am. Has it finally passed y'all yet?

Yeah, it's all gone now. It was still pretty breezy but even that dies down about 1/2 hour ago. I think it's gonna get nice as the day goes on. Maybe good enough to actually get some games of horseshoes in. :rolleyes: It'll turn out to be a great day if the last place O's manage to beat the mighty Yankees in both double header games, however slim that chance is [-o<

Archived