Gibson Brands Forums

Best line from a song?

Kimbabig

There in lies my point M.

Throughout the history of this nation the most stressful and difficult times has brought some of our most profound and moving music.

I'm just not seeing it today or is this generations spokespersons/ songwriters content with our current situation as a nation.

Yeah, what you said.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how to break the sad news, but "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose" wasn't exactly coined by Neil Peart.......unless, of course, he was Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr in a previous life (like, 1849).......

P.

Ah, the French version. I know he didn't write those lyric's, but he always has a great way of using lyric's in a song. There are probably many other RUSH lines that are not original, but I don't care, just love the way Neil puts things together.

What, you don't believe in re-incarnation? LOL [biggrin]

Some balls are held for charity

And some for fancy dress

But when they're held for pleasure

They're the balls that I like best.

AC/DC [cool]

Saw an AC/DC Tribute band last week. They didn't play that song, probably because it was at The Family Arena. All age groups allowed.

I can name a few that either mean a lot to me or that just crack me up everytime I hear em'

- "Woman and his best friend, in bed and havin' fun" - Locomotive Breath, Jethro Tull

- "Its alright if you love me, its alright if you don't, I'm not afraid of you runnin' away honey I get the feeling you won't" - Breakdown, Tom

Petty and the Heartbreakers. Actually every line in that song stands out. So I just listed the first line.

- "Some stupid with a flare gun" - Smoke on the Water, Deep Purple

- "Hey teacher, leave them kids alone!" - Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd. Another song where every line stands out.

- "We are merely players, performers and portrayers" - Limelight, Rush

- "Outta my way Im a runnin' hand!" - Walk All Over You, AC/DC. One great example of Bon Scott's lyrical wizardry.

- Every line in "Lifes Been Good" by Joe Walsh.

- "Monday warrior mean mean stride, names Tom Sawyer mean mean pride" - Tom Sawyer, Rush. That song is FREAKIN' EPIC!!!

- "I got a baby's brain and an old man's heart. Took me eighteen years to get this far" - Eighteen, Alice Cooper

- "I've been knocked down, stood up, caught in the name of goodbye" - Last Kiss, Joe Bonamassa

- "Of the world, of the world, xcept for the time I got beat by a girl" - Air Hockey Champion of the World, The Drills. There whole catalog is worth mentioning here, but this is their sig. song.

- "One thing in common, they was good in bed" - Life in the Fast Lane, The Eagles

Just my 2 cents.

I have NO IDEA what any of that means!

The songs lyrica are structured on the Fibonacci sequence which is a mathematical algorithm ..for those that dont use google to find something out i will explain..this is from wikipedia

In mathematics, the Fibonacci numbers are the numbers in the following integer sequence:

cabe91689f6a1af616ace02827c6e89c.png

By definition, the first two Fibonacci numbers are 0 and 1, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two.

so really this ^^^ [thumbup] means you add the last 2 numbers to get the next number..confused?

Its a famous mathematical algorithm that has been used on some occasions to construct music and some art works..if you dont know what i mean ..google it.. [confused]

Much of the rest of the lyrics are a reference to indigenous dreamtime and metaphors for expansion of consciousness and self awareness..

if you are genuinely interested in finding out more about what the song means i suggest you do a google on the song Lateralus by TOOL..it is actually a fascinating song..sorry to confuse you :(

The songs lyrica are structured on the Fibonacci sequence which is a mathematical algorithm ..for those that dont use google to find something out i will explain..this is from wikipedia

In mathematics, the Fibonacci numbers are the numbers in the following integer sequence:

By definition, the first two Fibonacci numbers are 0 and 1, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two.

so really this ^^^ [thumbup] means you add the last 2 numbers to get the next number..confused?

Its a famous mathematical algorithm that has been used on some occasions to construct music and some art works..if you dont know what i mean ..google it.. [confused]

Much of the rest of the lyrics are a reference to indigenous dreamtime and metaphors for expansion of consciousness and self awareness..

if you are genuinely interested in finding out more about what the song means i suggest you do a google on the song Lateralus by TOOL..it is actually a fascinating song..sorry to confuse you :(

I got the algorithm....but relating it to music... makes my head hurt.....

I got the algorithm....but relating it to music... makes my head hurt.....

haha fair enough its just an unusual timing experiment i guess..its a bit different but sort of quite interesting ..the band often uses cross timings.. just to annoy you even further the timing of the song is 9/8 8/8 7/8...its a complex song that took them a long time to do but actually is quite good to listen to if you like that sort of progressive hard rock music..

sorry bout the headache !! [scared]

its a actually quite easy on the ear but these in depth unnecessary analysis are the problem..a sort of hidden level to the song

if you were familiar with the song or a fan of the band it may have been a bit more interesting but otherwise i will apologise once again for giving you a head ache [crying]

Another line which I think rather wonderful is from the 'Sensational Alex Harvey Band' and their song "The Tale of the Giant Stone Eaters" from the 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me' album...

"And - underneath a million tons of cold lava, a Brontosaurus lies...Wrong Way Up ! ! !..."

Great stuff!

Ah, the French version. I know he didn't write those lyric's, but he always has a great way of using lyric's in a song. There are probably many other RUSH lines that are not original, but I don't care, just love the way Neil puts things together.

What, you don't believe in re-incarnation? LOL [biggrin]

I know, I know. I was just being mischievous. In fact, from my experience most of these 'words of wisdom' type things can be traced back to the days of either Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome and even then the credited author was probably plagiarising someone else from an even older time!

(Incidentally the first Rush disc ever I bought was the 12" vinyl single of 'The Temples of Syrinx' in 1976. I had never heard of them before and, for some reason, that track got a lot of air-play on independent Scottish radio stations! I was a convert!)

And I find the idea of reincarnation very appealing.

P

" In the morning, don't say you love me, 'cause I'll only kick you out of the door."

I didn't understand this until my thirteenth birthday spent with an older sister's classmate......late bloomer I guess.....

Co-incidentally the Fibonacci series was one of the problems set in my daughter's last maths homework sheet on Wednesday. The subject was spotting sequences and, given the first 9 numbers she had to fill in number 10. She's seven years old ("and one month" she says...lol!). They start them young these days...

P.

Co-incidentally the Fibonacci series was one of the problems set in my daughter's last maths homework sheet on Wednesday. The subject was spotting sequences and, given the first 9 numbers she had to fill in number 10. She's seven years old ("and one month" she says...lol!). They start them young these days...

P.

good on her ..yes they do start young these days..its the information age..kids have a lot to learn and deal with these days.. my boy is 17 but hes doing ok hes a good young fellow

the fibonacci sequence is interesting it was of interest to leanardo da vinci being into natural philosophy he would look at the algorithms of nature such as this and the golden means ratio...fibbonaci sequence appears in nature many places

part of the reason TOOL used it in this song was the references to fibonnaci spirals which is produced from this sequence and the phrase spiral out being a metaphor for expansion of human consciousness and development..

this is trivia but fibbonaci spirals occur many places in nature

fibonnaciWhirlpoolGalaxyStarbirth-rot.jpg

this spriral galaxy is an example

interestingly in nature and mathematics the quickest way between 2 points is a straight line but the best way through 3 points is a spiral

anyway sometimes there is more to things than meets the eye TOOL are very clever contemporary musicians who at times put a lot of thought and creative effort into their music and at times there is hidden levels to their work...being progressive sometimes adapt interesting geometry to their timing and progressions..

many contemporary players are using diverse and complex timing..their drummer is incredible and very popular amongst the older fusion drummers

i know music preference is a personal thing but their guitarist is using a lovely old greening sivlerburst custom [biggrin]

" In the morning, don't say you love me, 'cause I'll only kick you out of the door."

I didn't understand this until my thirteenth birthday spent with an older sister's classmate......late bloomer I guess.....

I saw Faces do that in concert. "Yeah, I'll pay your cab fare home, you can even use my best cologne, just don't be here in the morning when I wake up."

I saw Faces do that in concert. "Yeah, I'll pay your cab fare home, you can even use my best cologne, just don't be here in the morning when I wake up."

You have sure seen some classic shows and concerts.....The Faces, wow.........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ....

My mama's talkin' to me

She tells me how to live,

But I don't listen to her

'Cause my head is like a sieve.

My daddy he disowned me

'Cause I wear my sisters clothes,

He caught me in the bathroom

With a pair of pantyhose.

The basketball coach

Done kicked me off the team

For wearing hi-heel sneakers

And acting like a queen.

The world's coming to an end

And I don't even care,

As long as I can have my limo

And my long blonde hair.

And it don't bother me

If people think I'm funny,

'Cause i'm a big rock star

And I make a lot of money!

I'm so bloody rich,

I own apartment buildings,

Shopping centers, condominiums

And I only know three chords!

You fools - watch me now.

ANd then there's this from the Tubes:

What do you want from life

To kidnap an heiress

or threaten her with a knife

To get cable TV

and watch it every night

There you sit

a lump in your chair

Where do you sleep

and what do you wear

when you're sleeping

An Indian guru

to show you the inner light

a meaningless love affair

with a girl that you met tonight

How can you tell when you're doin' alright

Does your bank account swell

While you're dreaming at night

How do know when you're really in love

Do violins play when you're touching the one

That you're loving

Someone to love

and somebody that you can trust

To try and be happy

while you do the nasty things you must

Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:

a heated kidney shaped pool,

a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,

a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,

a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,

a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,

real simulated Indian jewelry,

a Gucci shoetree,

a year's supply of antibiotics,

a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth

and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,

a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,

Rosemary's baby,

a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,

a new Matador, a new mastodon,

a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,

a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,

a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,

a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,

a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,

a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,

or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,

a Las Vegas wedding,

a Mexican divorce,

a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,

or a baby's arm holding an apple?

Guest farnsbarns

"Well she wore big knickers and she worked on t' sewage farm

I put me 'and down her jeans and I nearly lost 'alf me arm"

Sweaty Betty by the Macc Lads

She used to play for Wiggan at the back of the scrum.

Archived