Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Hendrix

cam011235

Calling jimi fans,,just watched 2 hour doco on jimi and remembered just how awesome this cat was..so i thought yeah start a thread on Mr Hendrix ..if u r into would love to hear some jimi posts

just been pointed out its the anniversary of Jimis passing away RIP Jimi

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2548313289729330455

hey would love to hear from any old school original hippies and particularly any one that went to woodstock would be awesome !!

also saw jimi play several gibsons including a custom and a flying V

Absolutely he was true innovator..in the doco in 69 he really wanted to break new ground with music..jimi and the band of gypsies were calling 68 the beginning of the end..set up electric lady land the most advanced studio of its time and genuinely set out to define new styles of music

having such great blues roots with the creative approach was amazing defining blues and rock..jimi was so far ahead of his time and his playing is still awesome ..i think the woodstock improv was just inspiring guitar playing ..there was a such an enigma about him.. particularly as you say in the context of time.. he did so much so set up modern guitar playing..

The people who "don't get" him today are mostly the ones who compare him against post EVH shredder type of players. But that style hadn't really been invented yet in Jimi's day. He was just such a natural musician. Sometimes the line between his rhythym and lead playing was blurred. He played both simultaniously, as he was also singing!

I'm sure that if Hendrix would have sat and practiced playing scales for hours at a time he would have more than held his own with all the shredders out there.

It's funny, the shredder fans might not like Hendrix, but if you listen to guys like Malmsteen, Via, Satch etc...even Gary Moore....they all praise Jimi as one of the greatest ever. :-k

The people who "don't get" him today are mostly the ones who compare him against post EVH shredder type of players. But that style hadn't really been invented yet in Jimi's day. He was just such a natural musician. Sometimes the line between his rhythym and lead playing was blurred. He played both simultaniously, as he was also singing!

I'm sure that if Hendrix would have sat and practiced playing scales for hours at a time he would have more than held his own with all the shredders out there.

It's funny, the shredder fans might not like Hendrix, but if you listen to guys like Malmsteen, Via, Satch etc...even Gary Moore....they all praise Jimi as one of the greatest ever. :-k

shredding is a great skill and i admire them enormously and gutar has evolved a long way but shredding isnt necessarily good music to listen to other than the skill factor..do people actually sit there listening to shredders for hours? it is a shame that people treat music as sport rating who is 'best' when it is really art and creative expression that has no competition...hendrix is a just an amazing artist..a good analogy would be picasso with modern art he is a an innovator ..and at times his playing was just as you say the rhythm lead vocals all at once was a great blues skill..it is good to go back and have a good look ..

probably one of the great shredders paul gilbert did a fantastic cover of purple haze actually probably the best thing about the cover was his singing i was amazed how good he was and how much he sounded like jimi

certainly EVH was a big step towards the modern players but it all comes from this guy..well thats just my opinion..alot of the young dudes love hendrix i have noticed which is terrific to see..his music and playing was timeless and will appeal to people for years to come

I saw him in May of 1970. The way he "became one" with his guitar was incredible. He wasn't a man playing guitar, he became the guitar and the guitar became him. It is never a question with me who is the best and greatest rock guitarist. it's Jimi.

awesome..i was hoping there was someone here that actually saw him..cool..that is so true he was at one with guitar i have noticed just how easy it was for him totally natural and second nature..must have been incredible seeing him ..you are very privileged.. [thumbup] [thumbup]

No one has mentioned that it was on this date in 1970 that we lost Jimi.Jimi singlehandedly turned the direction of guitar playing totally off on another tangent that nobody had ever dreamed of.He took everything that had been done before with guitar and modified it to the Nth degree and made every move his own.Eric Clapton put it the best"Jimi Hendrix was a gift who was allowed to stay with us for a while and then went back with the other gods."That's pretty good accolades from a guitar player who himself has often been refered to as God.

Sing On Brother.

No one has mentioned that it was on this date in 1970 that we lost Jimi.Jimi singlehandedly turned the direction of guitar playing totally off on another tangent that nobody had ever dreamed of.He took everything that had been done before with guitar and modified it to the Nth degree and made every move his own.Eric Clapton put it the best"Jimi Hendrix was a gift who was allowed to stay with us for a while and then went back with the other gods."That's pretty good accolades from a guitar player who himself has often been refered to as God.

Sing On Brother.

oh of course thanks for saying that letting us know...that explains why there was a 2 hour doco on jimi on tv..right ..well said and thank you for pointing that out

RIP Jimi..we miss you ..rock on brother

Sing On Brother.

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Sing On Brother.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Well said brother, well said.

I also would like to add, while Jimi was opening up doors to a new direction of guitar playing and modern blues he also opened up doors to a music genre that not many African Americans were involved in. Not many blacks were playing Hard Rock music, but instead playing motown, funk and pop. I wonder why not many blacks followed hendrix's foot steps as today you really don not see blacks playing hard rock, metal music.

Long before Voodoo Chile, Jimi was playing this classic blues song..according to BB him and Jimi would jam on this tune when Jimi was touring with Little Richard and BB was playing on the same tour....Man I wish someone would find those tapes!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aODLdu8Zkq8&feature=related

That is one of my favorite hendrix tune. IMHO, Hendrix Blues is the best hendrix CD to get if one wants to hear some great raw hendrix guitar playing.

It doesn't feel like 40 years have gone by since JMH passed. myself and 3 friends saw him in July of 1970, and were going to see him again. That never came about. RIP JMH, the Bells Toll for you today.

He is one of my favourite players of any genre. I love the way he bends and does vibrato, his songs he wrote are awesome, he understood the blues and was just a great all round artist.

Joe Satriani said in an interview '99 percent of the time I am on stage, I am thinking of Jimi Hendrix!'

A modern day master tipping his hat to THE master.

Matt

Archived