Gibson Brands Forums

"insane" guitar solos...

S t e v e

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

come on, post your fave or maybe not fave but you still think it's "insane" solo...

i'll start...

solo at 3:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtYtNwIb2g8

No doubt these are talented players...can you tell me what the screaming is all about? Please don't take this wrong I really can not understand a dam word...if it wasn't from the screaming I would like Metal....reminds me of my ex wife...

No doubt these are talented players...can you tell me what the screaming is all about? Please don't take this wrong I really can not understand a dam word...if it wasn't from the screaming I would like Metal....reminds me of my ex wife...

yea i get what you mean, i listen to it mainly for the guitar parts :)

The screaming/growling works well in the style for two reasons:

1) The more abrasive vocal textures fits in more interestingly and often more appropriately with the distorted tones of the instruments

2) The more abrasive vocal textures more accurately convey the content of the music

To be honest, even when I listen to music that doesn't have growls, I can't always understand what the vocalists are talking about. I mean, let's be honest: nobody can understand a single word Mick Jagger sings. I also listen to a lot of latin jazz, which I can't understand because my Spanish isn't good enough to make sense of it. I think that, more often, people dislike growling and screaming because they don't like the texture of the sound rather than because they can't understand the words. I don't mean to tell you why you don't like something, but in my experience a lot of people I know have used the "I can't understand the words" excuse as a way of expressing something that's really completely different from what they mean.

Of course, Children of Bodom (that band) mostly uses screams because death metal was trendy in Finland when they started playing. They're what metal fans often call "false metal."

Here's a band that likewise uses growled vocals, and also has stuff that I think you'd find musically interesting:

Archived