Gibson Brands Forums

Best Debut Album for Rock Guitar?

Californiaman

I can make a case for Van Halen I.

That album was a bold fresh sound for me and I really took to it.

Still, Randy Rhodes threw down some amazing playing on Ozzy's first record after leaving Black Sabbath.

I'm torn between the two.

By the way, borrowed this topic from Gutat Player magazine.

Fresh Cream? Steppenwolf? Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd? ZZ Top's First Album (Quite possibly the First pure Blues Rock album ever)? Holy Diver?

Gutat Player Magazine sure has taken a nose dive since Micheal Molenda took over and turned it into an Opinion Rag! All he does is talk about himself and his favorite types of music, then craps all over anyone who is influenced by or likes Stevie Ray Vaughan or traditional Blues in general. The most Uniformed Mag on the stand [thumbdn]

Fresh Cream? Steppenwolf? Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd? ZZ Top's First Album (Quite possibly the First pure Blues Rock album ever)? Holy Diver?

Gutat Player Magazine sure has taken a nose dive since Micheal Molenda took over and turned it into an Opinion Rag! All he does is talk about himself and his favorite types of music, then craps all over anyone who is influenced by or likes Stevie Ray Vaughan or traditional Blues in general. The most Uniformed Mag on the stand [thumbdn]

Why isn't this guy a part of the forum? He'd LOVE it here

So many haters. There are some really good choices up there. There are quite a few missing though...................................unsure.gif

I voted for "Are You Experienced?" but Zeppelin I was a close second.

I would have to say that Gun's N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction should be on that list. It inspired a whole generation to pick up the guitar and play.

So many haters. There are some really good choices up there. There are quite a few missing though...................................unsure.gif

I voted for "Are You Experienced?" but Zeppelin I was a close second.

I would have to say that Gun's N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction should be on that list. It inspired a whole generation to pick up the guitar and play.

Appetite doesn't really count because while it is a great album, it is their ONLY great album (thus, not really a debut).

You forgot Boston.

But that album entirty was Tom Scholz. He did everything on it.

It was good. But it was a one man recording session.

Yeah, I know. But it's the only Guitar Rag Mag I have. [sad]

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. However, it was GP's poll.

Hmmm......but doesn't "debut" mean appearing for the first time? Appetite was GNR's first album, so it is their debut album no?

It's more of like a "first and only" rather than a first.

Instead of being a "debut" of a great band, it is a record of a great band that only existed for really that one time.

It's more of like a "first and only" rather than a first.

Instead of being a "debut" of a great band, it is a record of a great band that only existed for really that one time.

I dunno, but from the definition of "debut" I've read, it implies "appearing or performing for the first time". This is confusing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/debut

debut [ˈdeɪbjuː ˈdɛbjuː]

n

1. (Performing Arts / Theatre)

a. the first public appearance of an actor, musician, etc., or the first public presentation of a show

b. (as modifier) debut album

2. (Sociology) the presentation of a debutante

vb (intr)

to make a debut

[from French début, from Old French desbuter to play first (hence: make one's first appearance), from des- de- + but goal, target; see butt2]

Yeah, I know. But it's the only Guitar Rag Mag I have. [sad]

Yeah, me too :( When I first got my subscription it was very informative and broad. After the editorial staff change about 2 or 3 years ago they began to slip downhill. You can tell when Molenda is writing the article because it starts with "I was in my Bedroom in 1985" or "I remember when being at my grandma's house, she would serve some lemonade and I'd here King Crimson coming out of her old oak stereo.." Like Fuzzy Fred observed, his stuff reads like a forum post.

Still, it's cool that you posted this poll. I like it when people express what they feel is the Best, at least we can hear about some great old rock albums.

Yeah, me too :( When I first got my subscription it was very informative and broad. After the editorial staff change about 2 or 3 years ago they began to slip downhill. You can tell when Molenda is writing the article because it starts with "I was in my Bedroom in 1985" or "I remember when being at my grandma's house, she would serve some lemonade and I'd here King Crimson coming out of her old oak stereo.." Like Fuzzy Fred observed, his stuff reads like a forum post.

Still, it's cool that you posted this poll. I like it when people express what they feel is the Best, at least we can hear about some great old rock albums.

Yeah, it's those "great old rock albums" that keep me going.

I can't help it. I'm the opitomy of what it means to be Dad Rocker.

Archived