Gibson Brands Forums

Battle Scars

saturn

I've owned my Les Paul since 2004, and have managed to keep it in pretty good shape so far. But, at a gig 2 weeks ago I managed to put a nice little ding on the bottom when I turned around to talk to the drummer and banged it on his conga drums #-o

I didn't lose any sleep over it since I use it for playing, not collecting. It still kinda irritates me though.. [cursing]

scar003.jpg

scar002.jpg

It's hard to keep a guitar pristine when you're working..... my old Dove has buckle rash, some scuffing where the pickup goes, and some pick scratches....but it's my "go to" guitar, (I won't even go there about my Jubilee).

My DIF and 'Bird are pristine, but I don't take them anywhere, and wear no belt and have no buttons on when I play them.....but....eventually I'll probably nick 'em somehow....

Guest farnsbarns

That bites but at least you did it and not someone else, to me that makes it a little easier to live with.

That's true, I had a friend bump my epi SG into a car door and chip the horn when it was 2 days old. I was 16, bought it myself for what seemed like a lot of money. I wasn't happy.

My LP standard got knocked of it's stand by a band mate larking about in the first week and got got a scratch on the front. What really annoyed me about that was he kept saying it would look better once it was beaten a bit, as if he had done me a favour. No word of an apology.

My Sunrise Orange SG has an inch long chunk out of it on the top horn. Have no idea where that came from. I just noticed it one day. It also has belt rash, the finish around the edges of the headstock are worn, and the chrome finish on the pickguard has flaked off in places. This guitar went all over the Midwest with me for roughly two years so I expect some weathering.

I love the look of a well played guitar. Cannot wait to see what she looks like ten years from now.

I have a guitar with a broken headstock that I have to fix... I made the stupid mistake of lending it to a friend who was playing one song with us on his wedding. The guy was so drunk he fell off-stage (with the guitar). [cursing]

I'm gonna fix her then send him the bill for a new guitar.

Guitars that get played especially in public get marked up and dinged. Bad abuse and major damage is always hard to accept but normal wear and tear just happens happens unless it's a case queen and never get's played.

I told the story on here a few years ago about a brand new custom shop Explorer that I held up to wave to some friends while I was on a stage, sadly I never noticed the ceiling fan so that headstock got a pretty good ding on it. Not only that but it happened in front of allot of friends and family so I get to hear about it several times a year.

les_paul_std_7_buckle_rash.jpg

Nothing more than a ton a of belt rash on mine, the most damage Ive ever done was to another guitar...with my guitar [flapper]

Me and my rhythm guitarist were doing one of those face to face playing things, and we both turned the wrong way and my headstock

chipped a bit of lacquer off the edge of his, we both freaked out but after I noticed I had no damage, I thought he was going to kill me. [flapper]

But I grabbed his guitar right away and apologised and said I knew how to fix it, and so I took it home for the night and used a trick

from the stewmac site and fixed the ding.

I've owned my Les Paul since 2004, and have managed to keep it in pretty good shape so far. But, at a gig 2 weeks ago I managed to put a nice little ding on the bottom when I turned around to talk to the drummer and banged it on his conga drums #-o

I didn't lose any sleep over it since I use it for playing, not collecting. It still kinda irritates me though.. [cursing]

scar003.jpg

scar002.jpg

Wow - lots of ouches here, i use a colormatching acrylic nail polish, soer fine wth/dry sand paper,

and maguires buffing compound and maguires swirl remover to hide the boo-boos. works like a champ.

Really,

100_0472.jpg

No dings to speak of on my guitars. They get played when I have time to play, but I rarely play in public so the risk of dings is low. Some might consider my guitars case queens; but for the most part, they'd get played more if I had time to play as much as I like. I've been told I baby my instruments, so even most of my thoroughly played instruments from my days as an active musicain on the local music scene got mistaken for practically new when I sold them.

I remember a roomie had friends over and one of them (who'd never met me before) grabbed one of my guitars and started to play it shortly before I arrived home from work one night. Knowing all too well that I was VERY particular about who handled my gear, he politely told the guy that I was expected home any minute and if I found him holding one of my guitars that I'd likely rip off his arms and beat him with the bloody stumps. He probably wasn't far off the mark, but he was so convincing (he took out a polish cloth and wiped down the guitar) that his friends didn't even stick around to see if I would notice any finger prints on the guitar. lol

My Ibanez, the one I've expressed a desire to buy back from the guy I sold it to, was my main guitar when I was gigging and recording. It was a Rhoads V copy, so it's got the chips in the horns like most V's eventually get; the knobs had some wear on the paint (apparently Ibanez used orange primer under the black pain in 1986), there was a ding just behind the Floyd Rose from god knows where,and a headstock repair thanks to my idiot lead singer when he knocked it over one day and said it wouldn't have happened if I had put it in the case. I played it with the cracked neck for 2 years before realizing the chipped paint behind the headstock was more than just a flesh wound. The luthier that found the crack and repaired it told me the only thing holding the headstock on the guitar was the fact that the crack was behind the locking nut which was taking most of the tension from the strings.

Both My LP's are beat to hell, My JR only has maybe 10% of the original finish on it, And My Epi 56 GT has finish crack dings and rash all over it.

It is called Character.....

[lol]

Dang right...............A guitar meant for gigging is supposed to get battle scars, for sure............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

I haven't gigged since 2005..........Hmmmm....Kinda miss it.........Guitars can take it...........

I've got dings all over my guitars from gigging. The battle scar I'm most proud of is on the neck of my SG Standard. I've had it since I was 16, and I have worn through the finish on the neck from playing it so much.

axejpg.jpg

I've got dings all over my guitars from gigging. The battle scar I'm most proud of is on the neck of my SG Standard. I've had it since I was 16, and I have worn through the finish on the neck from playing it so much.

axejpg.jpg

Wow. You must play a lot in the key of G [biggrin]

Archived