Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Ed Roman?

dem00n

...don't get how anyone could hate on a dead guy

Depends on the person.

Some mass murdering despot? Easy.

A guy that runs a guitar shop, has strong and sometimes controversial opinions, and is not afraid to post them on his web site? Very hard.

Guest farnsbarns

It isn't nice to speak ill of the dead

+1. You shouldn't be speaking badly of the recently dead. It's a shame Gibson couldn't have taken that stance when the Amy Winehouse bashing was rife the day after her death but I have spoken out in the past defending their right to double morals on their own forum so "a shame" is all I'll say.

RIP Ed Roman.

Love him or loathe him, he was a personality that challenged guitar companies methods and made people think - also he gave a lot of money to children's charities and never held back on what he believed. IMO it is better to be both hated and loved, while living out your destiny, than to live a life of backing down and worrying if people will think ill of you. For the former, I tip my hat to him. RIP

Matt

This is the Ed Roman "guitars" guy right? I read some of his rants and can't fault much of the logic when it comes to Big Companies vs little companies and feeding the Asian machine. I just wish things hadn't gone sideways with the local guitar shop owner here in my town. I'd still be buying his products not MF or someplace that seems happy for me trade with them, and is NEVER rude to me.

ER's green Ric 330 on his site is kind of cool to me anyway. RIP Ed.

Aster

I think it's a fake.... The "o" and the "m" are too close together, and the tail on the "n" is not long enough!

(I am being irreverent here because of the prevalence of bogus Facebook posts of late... I can't find any alternative corroboration for the news of Ed's demise, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is just another hoax.)

J/W

I respect anyone who speaks their mind, even if I don't agree with them.

Though I do agree with most of what he said.

Not many people use that thing called a brain anymore, unfortunately there's one less thinker in the world now.

Then why you on the Gibson forum? [lol]

I love the Paul Stanley iceman too. Seriously thought about inquiring about a lefty version from Ed since Ibanez never made one. Never made the call though. Went more the Ace Frehley route and bought a Les Paul Traditional Plus Heritage Cherryburst instead. No regrets. RIP

Oh he surely walked to the beat of a different drummer for sure. He had his feelings about big companies and their charging policies on their guitars. I heard about him the first time here and spoke with him on the phone a few times. Very much a business man for sure; personally there is a huge need for the Ed Romans since they keep others in check. I loved the fact that he was a fan of the Ibanez Iceman especially the broken mirror Iceman made famous by Paul Stanley of Kiss. I wanted to purchase one from him although there was the question of getting cut by the guitar since real mirrors where being used. He told me is was very rare to have someone cut by his guitars although the fact that I am taking comadin and am a free bleeder we both finally came to the conclusion that it might not be best to purchase one of these guitars. Its a shame I really like those guitars.

RIP Ed.

Aw man. This is what I get for making one of my first topics on this forum a Roman Rant. I always used to stick up for the big companies ( except for GC ). But in the last 6 months my views have changed and now I agree with most of his view points. And while I think he was/is a little nutty ( much like a fellow who builds really expensive amplifiers that are used by the likes of Robben Ford, SRV, KWS, John Mayer, Larry Carlton, and Eric Johnson. His name is Alexander Howard Dumble. Some of who know of his existence. He covers his circuit boards in epoxy ), he was mostly correct. I know of one individual who I jam with on occasion who is like this as well. He is the loudest guitar player in Butte, MT, loves Jack Daniels, smokes like a chimney, has an affinity for old Ampeg v4 amps, despises Gibsons, US made and CS Fenders, Marshalls, Mesa/Boogies, and HiWatts ( unless they speak to him ), plays cheap, 100w tube heads, loves Bugs Bunny ( has one on the grill of his main 4x12! ), plays lower end guitars ( cause' he makes em' sound good ), prefers multi fx over pedals, his favorite axe is an old BC Rich Seagull, curses a lot when he is drunk, and damn near blew me off the stage with his inappropriate decibel levels! He goes by the name of Pete Heidt. A wise man. Ol' Ed will be missed. RIP ( RANT IN PEACE!!! )!!!!!!

Archived