Gibson Brands Forums

New amps for me

Tim Plains

I've had that same Vic for a year and a half and really like it. Mine has the Jensen Alnico in it. Does yours have the Eminence Legend? I think they changed to the ceramic magnet to tighten up the bottom. I saw a video on the Tone King and it sounded fantastic. Enjoy.

Awesome amps dude! I don't know anything about the Tone King, but I know those Victoria amps sound really nice.

How were Axe and You Shall Recieve to deal with? They have a pedal that I want that's pretty hard to find, but the look of their website has me a little skeptical (I'm superficial).

Congrats on the amps!

Nice amps! I am super jealous. At a show in 2008 Victoria supplied the back line so I had the privilege of playing through one of their amps (some 1x15 combo). The tone out of that was better than any amp I had played before.

EVOL, yeah, the Vicky is something else. I already have GAS for another. LOL

How were Axe and You Shall Recieve to deal with? They have a pedal that I want that's pretty hard to find, but the look of their website has me a little skeptical (I'm superficial).

Scott is his name. He runs the business from his home. Great guy to deal and chat with.

Which pedal? I'm thinking of buying a BYOC OD 1.

Really , really nice collection you have there R9. How is your Swart? I have been curious about those. Axe and you shall receive is a great site. I bought a BYOC British blues over drive from him a couple of years ago. Only took four days for it to arrive. He has an amazing selection and I will deal with him again no question.

Cool the BYOC stuff looks really nice. Are you thinking of getting a kit or a pre built one?

Me build it? Yeah, right...

Buxom, congrats on the amp.

How is your Swart?

You owe it to yourself to play one. There's a new one that's coming out in a month that should be a home run. GAS, GAS, GAS!!

http://swartamps.com/swart_str-tremolo_blurb.htm

It's honestly probably a lot easier than you think, especially the way BYOC kits are put together, but I understand.

I remember you got a Timmy but didn't end up liking it right? That's a pretty hard OD to top.. I think you might actually really prefer a clean boost over an overdrive. With nice amps like that, it's kindof a shame to get clipping from an OD pedal. A good booster will just set your amp over the edge and retain the "pure" sound of your guitar and amp.

Good call. =D>

I've been googling boost pedals and am seriously GASing for one now. Only problem is the ones that sounded best in the videos aren't sold locally and I may have to take a blind (or deaf) leap of faith. From the videos I heard, I like the Boosta Grande and Flying Dragon most.

I never was much of a pedals/effects guy. The Tim does sound good but I barely use it. Actually, it sounds horrible through the TK but good through every other amp and amazing through the Z. I'm keeping it for that reason alone.

Have you checked out the Zvex Super Hard On, Xotic EP Booster, Analogman Beano Boost, etc? Those seem to be popular.

Of the ones I've tried, I prefer the Super Hard On. I have an OG Zvex one and I've built a few clones (including a Super Duper 2 in 1) and they never fail to send my ac30 into pure sparkly tube bliss. They give you a little extra clarity too which goes nicely with the crunch.

See if you can find a T. C. Jauernig Luxury Drive. It's a clean boost with a touch of compression and it's amazing...I think T. Rex is currently putting them out and there are a number of vids on YouTube if you're interested. It even gave my teacher's SS Vox some sparkle(in my fifties and finally taking lessons). It's the one pedal that's always in my signal chain.

PS The DGTM is also very interesting....

Archived