Gibson Brands Forums

Does your drummer tune his/her drums?

Guest Farnsbarns

they better!!!

Should make sure the heads are tighten evenly, and also tune each drum for pitch.... well unless you want your 5 pcs to sound like one big tom-tom

This is exactly right.

I've played the drums for 37 years. It's hard to believe a drummer in a band would not do this. It's not that hard to do either.

they better!!!

Should make sure the heads are tighten evenly, and also tune each drum for pitch.... well unless you want your 5 pcs to sound like one big tom-tom

I don't think tuning to a specific pitch is important unless you're kit is something massive like a twelve piece or you play insane prog rock where this matters. Tom size will dictate high, middle, or low pitch. Most drummers, including myself, tune our drums to where they sound good. Good meaning harmonious with the batter and resonator heads and the other toms.

Guest farnsbarns

I don't think tuning to a specific pitch is important unless you're kit is something massive like a twelve piece or you play insane prog rock where this matters. Tom size will dictate high, middle, or low pitch. Most drummers, including myself, tune our drums to where they sound good. Good meaning harmonious with the batter and resonator heads and the other toms.

This is exactly what I mean, it is important. Looking at the replies so far this seems to be a British problem. Time to find an American drummer :)

This is exactly what I mean, it is important. Looking at the replies so far this seems to be a British problem. Time to find an American drummer :)

+1 on finding an American drummer. I also want one that doesnt get bored of playing 4 4 beats. Mine hates playing simple beats and always insists on playing pop punk drumming which I hate. At least he doesn't mind us making ginger jokes [thumbup]

Tuning drums is important or tuning to pitch?

Tuning is absolutely important. No argument there.

Tuning to a specific pitch, not always. If it was I'd tune my three toms to a tritone to keep the music evil. [flapper]

I tune my drums to themselves, adjusting tension at each lug for a clear, even tone. As long as the relative pitch across the toms sounds musical I an happy, but I spend a lot of time tweaking my snares. I personally favor a 'military tattoo' sound, but appreciate where a 'cannon' is required. :-)

The drummer in my Blues band uses a pitch pipe to tune each drum to a specific note. He then tunes the bottom head slightly different (like a half step) for proper resonance and overtones.

He also uses a two-snare setup, a metal rim tuned one way, and a wood rim tuned differently.

A properly and well tuned drum set will make an incredible difference.

It is real hard to tell the difference on the 'pitch' or the note of a drum when actually playing.

But, when a drum is not tuned, it does have a very sick sound to it. VERY noticeable when the decay and such is off.

I have a buddy who is quite anal about tuning his drums. He has a lot of kits, from DW down to birch Ludwigs. A well tuned drum always sounds better than a much more 'expensive' drum for sure.

Guest farnsbarns

The drummer in my Blues band uses a pitch pipe to tune each drum to a specific note. He then tunes the bottom head slightly different (like a half step) for proper resonance and overtones.

He also uses a two-snare setup, a metal rim tuned one way, and a wood rim tuned differently.

A properly and well tuned drum set will make an incredible difference.

That's what I call a drummer.

In my last band, the drum kit was massive. So the drummer used a mate to tune it. The mate 'Steve' was good and very 'anal' over it. But they sounded great. So, yes I do think a kit should be tuned. I think a lot of gigs now have awful drum sounds and the bass is often too deep. I think the days of good sound engineers are over. Technology has killed the 'ear'.

My current drummer sorta thinks he does, but he does not; he's a slob. I have been spoiled by a few fantastic drummers who had their sh!t together, actually had an ear, and took pride in their craft (and actually knew how to tune a snare drum).

Finally something that fits my gig.

I use a mini torque wrench made for drums and it's great. I drop the strainers on the snare and work down. Each drum is one tone lower than the previous. I keep the bottom skin at the same torque as the top. Maybe i'm wrong, but it fits..

I phrase my drumming as much as the musical message dictates while trying to maintain a solid reference for the other musicans.. My drumming follows the tonal progression so I feel like I'm doing my job.

It's not just wopping on the drums like an drunken ape. I find it really good to see guitarists considering drums in a tonal manner. This Gibby site never ends to impress me!

Guest farnsbarns

My drumming follows the tonal progression so I feel like I'm doing my job.

My father always says a good drummer "plays the tune on his drums", sounds like you share that belief [thumbup]

Archived