Gibson Brands Forums

Any guitar sale regrets?

sneddy72

I'm sure most of us have do this at some point. I sold a nice MIJ Fender Jag that I regret now, and a nashville tele that I should kept!! Why oh why!!!!

sold my first les paul, a honey burst standard 6 months after i bought it...bad times and needed the cash quick [crying]

Sell? No. But I bought an early 80s Ibanez Blaser Series, as this guy didn't have the $ to get it out of the pawn shop, back in 89. He said might as well give me the ticket if I wanted it. I had the cash, so I took him up on it and got it for $70. The pickups were terrible, but it was a decent and heavy guitar. Six years later, I gave it to a rehab place for the folks there to use.

There was this staff member who was a player, and he took it upon himself to fix it up nicely. He eventually had a falling out with his boss and took the guitar with him when he quit. His justification was that he'd put money into it.

I was p**** off for obvious reasons. It was the rehab's, not his. I don't wish I had it back. I feel he basically stole it even if he put $ into it. It wasn't his to begin with. It doesn't bring back nothing though, LOL [smile] . Regret? No. But what happened? Um, bad.

There is one guitar in particular that I really regret getting rid of,that was a PAN copy of a Venture's Moserite.That guitar was a beauty to look at and to play but stupid like,I traded it in on a circa '65 Hagstrom II.I could've bought the Hagstrom without trading in the PAN but the PAN had terrible intonation and back then in 1972 I was only 18 and didn't know anything about it and figured that the guitar was doomed to be like that forever.If I had known then what I know now I would have one of the nicest sounding and playing Moserite copy around.A couple of years ago I put an ad in the local Buy & Sell ad magazine with the hope that someone who bought it back then may still have it poked away in a closet somewhere-stranger things have happened.A technician who is an acquaintance of mine has been building up a collection of all the early Marshalls that came into the province as there was only one store initially that sold Marshalls and Park amps.He has already bought up 9 of them but there's one amp that he won't be getting and that's my '71 Artiste model 2040,that amp is sweet and the previous owner modded it to the 4104 50W 2-12 amp specs,but configured it in such a way that it would be quite easy to switch back to its original specs as it has the almost same cabinet as the very desireable 1962 model "Bluesbreaker".Anyway I believe that my Artiste was the only combo that this store brought in and all the rest were stacks and half stacks.

The fact that what appears to be most of these amps are still around gives me hope that lovely PAN Moserite copy is maybe poked away and forgotten about in somebody's closet of attic.I think that I'll post another ad this week and see if I can get any results.

I had a PAN* Strat copy that was just amazing. I sold that for next to nothing, too, but the 2 I really miss are my '68 LP Custom and my Mosrite hollow body. I don't even remember what I did with the money from selling them.

mark

* I once read somewhere that PAN guitars had something to do with Alembic, and I know they were made in Japan in the '70's.

Wow this thread brought back some painful and costly memories! I have had two guitars that I wish I still had. The first one was an epiphone Zakk Wylde. I had the emg 81/85's in there and all. I sold it becasue I was going out of my signature phase of my life and wanted my own original guitar. I got a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Sunburst). I loved that guitar, heavy as hell and just a top notch instrument. When the economy began to go dwn hill Ineeded some cash fast so i took it to the nearest guitar center and sold it. After all has been said and done I now have me a Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst with Chrome hardware that I love and do not have any intentions of getting rid of her!

My 59 Les Paul, no wait that was a bad dream, I have never owned a 59, Yet.

I recently sold a 339 and I have regretted it since. I will probably try to replace that guitar.

Prior to that my regrets were a Guild Thunderbird but I have since replaced that guitar at a much higher cost than one would expect. The fact that they only made about 150 of them and put a built in headstock snapper stand in the back has driven the prices up on these.

CB, we have similar stories. A grandson starting to play guitar inspired me to start playing again after over 20 years of not playing. I wish I had those years back, but I did miss out on playing a lot of bad music those years I wasn't playing.

This one broke my heart my 2002 Peavey Wolfgang it played as good as it looked, but when the choice is food or a guitar guess who wins.

1065636608043544858S500x500Q85.jpg

There has been quite a few I sold mostly because I was out of work and out of cash.The other one that I sold was a Copy of a PRS with P90's,a swamp ash body Dillion.I even had a real PRS CE22 and I hate to say this but after I had the Dillion P90 PU's rewound buy a pro (I cant remember his name)the Dillion was a force to be feared (Ok maybe to much with the feared)Seems like we all would like some guitars back,guess I,ll have to just buy more to help my sorrow.

Dillion If I remember correctly they only made 5 or 10 of these and I would love to get another.

2245079590043544858S500x500Q85.jpg

Every Guitar I have ever had that has been:

sold

swapped

cannibalized

destroyed .

of course if I had all that gear back, I would have to have the entire first floor of my house to have enough space.

Yup. I've had two ES335s in my lifetime. Ended up eventually trading or selling them.

Sooner or later, I start GASing for another. It's just a matter of time before there's another in the stable. Even though between the LPs, L5 and Gretsches I don't really need a 335. It just doesn't fill a niche (I keep telling myself...).

I had a 1974 Fender Tele Custom that I sold to pay the rent. Not a reissue. It sucked being a pay check to pay check drunk.

When I bought my house I sold my 1974 Gibson Ripper. My 1990 Gibson Flying V signed by Michael Schenker. Seven 1950's Kay arch tops and mandolins. A custom JTG guitar signed by Billy Sheehan, Ozzy, Robbin Crosby and Paul Gilbert. A Fender Strat signed by Bonnie Raitt.

I made money on all of them. The only ones I really miss are the Ripper and the V. That V was all me

I think if there hasn't been a sale/trade of a guitar(s) one regrets, one ain't been pickin' very long.

I've been pickin' since the summer of '63. You figure it. <grin>

m

I posted I had no regrets on mine. I guess I'm a n00b... Thanks Milod [crying]

Naaah.

You must just be luckier than most.

For me, I hadda swap 'cuz of available quality of guitars and available cash. Ah, but for that orange Gretsch and a reeally nice classical - not to mention at least a half dozen others.

m

Naaah.

You must just be luckier than most.

For me, I hadda swap 'cuz of available quality of guitars and available cash. Ah, but for that orange Gretsch and a reeally nice classical - not to mention at least a half dozen others.

m

Yeah, I hear you Milo. Well, the ones I sold/exchanged needed to be done. They weren't "must haves", but they had served their purpose. [smile]

I think most of us older guys have financial regrets about things that now cost 20 times what we sold them for (how were we to know that those "trash" Norlin Gibsons and early 70's strats would become "vintage," or that the tan bassmans you could get for $400 with the cabinet would become so sought after? ) However, the ones I really regret are not of the big name variety.

Back in the early 90's I traded a black Ibanez Jazz bass for $200 on a new Fender. When I listen to recordings I did back then, I realize its tone was quite unique, sort of half fender half rickenbacker. I've never found anything that sounded quite like it. Also, I started playing in pubs when i was 17, and I do regret that I don't have a single instrument left from that period, particularly my first nasty "Columbus" fender bass copy. From a distance of 35 years, I'd just like to see it again.

P.S If anyone in England has a "Columbus" Jazz bass copy with "Halstead" stamped into the neckplate, I'd like to talk to you. . . .

Archived