Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!! Beautiful Wildkat

Sada Yairi

After months of searching and trying guitars and amps, not only did I get the Valve Senior amp, but I bought an Epi Wildkat! Loved it the first time I tried it, but it was too expensive (around $850 in Aus). I was after a semi-hollow, and preferably with p90s so it was exactly what I wanted. Anyway, when Gallins in Sydney had a big sale, I bought the amp and the Wildkat. Of course, if there aren't photos it didn't happen:

NewWildkat1.jpg

NewWildkat2.jpg

The guitar was sent up from Melbourne so it took a while to actually get my hands on it. It is very well made, but at the same time the standard of finishing was pretty ordinary. There were parts of the neck binding that were rough to the point of actually being abrasive which was really nasty rubbing against your left hand up around the 12th fret. And the double-sided tape securing the clip which holds the internal wiring in place had come loose so the wiring was all visible through one of the f-holes. Got the guy there (Dan) to sort out those couple of issues, and the setup he had done was spot-on. There were also some minor marks (look a bit like fingerprints) on the body under the lacquer which is annoying, but you can only see them if the light is on a specific angle. She's beautiful to play and the Bigsby is fun (haven't used a tremolo at all for about 20 years!). This is my first guitar acquisition in around 18 years so it took a while to make a decision. I have a very indulgent and kind wife so I now have a Wildkat!! \:D/

I say this every time one of you lucky guys aquires a Wildkat. WOW.

That is one beautiful guitar. Just the right size. The necks are great. The P-90's sing.

One day.....

It is a great guitar, I'm really pleased. The size feels really good; I'm surprised there aren't many more guitars in this segment, between 335 and LP size. I'm also pleased that, for a change, it's not me drooling over someone else's new baby, but others are drooling over mine - much appreciated! [thumbup]

I think the Wildkat's wildly underrated. A great value, too. Here in the States, they're $299 at some of the big online retailers and chain stores! That's less than an Epiphone Les Paul Studio!

Congrats on yours. Enjoy!

Red 333

I think the Wildkat's wildly underrated. A great value, too. Here in the States, they're $299 at some of the big online retailers and chain stores! That's less than an Epiphone Les Paul Studio!

Congrats on yours. Enjoy!

Red 333

It is pretty amazing - on par price-wise with some of the Squiers. Certainly underrated in my imo as well.

Great looking guitar! Congrats!

I'm a recent P-90 convert too. I think I'm going to have to get one of those. Never been a tremolo guy,they kinda scare me. But a semi hollow with P-90s at that price, I can live with that scary old trem.

Yeah I feel the same way - I actually contacted Epiphone to find out if there was any way to order one without the tremolo. I think even after getting more used to it I'll end up folding the arm back most of the time. I had been tossing up between a secondhand Alleykat (humbuckers) or a new Wildkat (p90s) besides the other guitars I was considering. After playing the Wildkat and getting to know the p90s a little bit, the choice became easy. They weren't nearly as noisy as I expected (maybe because they're quite a chunky single coil) and sounded great. To be honest, given my relative inexperience with electrics I didn't think I'd actually be able to hear any significant difference with p90s compared to humbuckers but I was mistaken. The difference in tone was clear, and I like it!

I didn't think I'd actually be able to hear any significant difference with p90s compared to humbuckers but I was mistaken. The difference in tone was clear, and I like it!

P90s are a whole different animal & much sweeter to my ear, although I do like Gibson '57 Classic humbuckers, too. Nice to know that if you've got some muddy old humbuckers in an axe, you can swap them out for P94s, SD Phat Cats, etc, and suddenly gain some serious touch sensitivity.

Archived