Gibson Brands Forums

I have been holding out.... NGD!

modoc_333

So, Last Tuesday was NGD for me! I waited to post because I wanted to spend some time with her first. I am SUPER excited. I had this one custom built for me. Considering my job, I have a great relationship with the folks in Bozeman. So, when I called and told them I wanted a custom build for myself I was promised my socks would be knocked off. Boy did they ever come through! I couldn't imagine this being any better. I started out with the specs for the L-00TV that we have ordered a couple of, then went from there. It is a lightly braced L-00. Adirondack top. Long AJ-style bridge/saddle. Small burst. The neck is the wider 1 3/4 nut (this also spaced the bridge further). It is the large, hard V of a Legend. I got my name in it, and a few other perks ;)

Check this pictures and let me know what you think! (btw, the 2 guys holding the unfinished body are not Gibson workers. They are friends of mine that went to Montana for a ski trip. I got them a tour and they snapped the shot)

This thing sounds amazing. It has that great raspy sound that a L-00 should, but at the same time sounds very full and loud. It is extremely responsive and quick to react. I have been playing and writing things on it that I never would have come up with on my AJ. This little girl is monster!

L00.jpg

L00Body.jpg

TGwithL00.jpg

L00sigs.jpg

What a gorgeous little beauty.

Love all the choices you made, and your comments make it clear you're in love with it.

And a great story too. Your buddies look like they're having a great time.

Congrats! . . [thumbup]

Modoc....first of all...congratulations!!! VERY nice......Second of all....SOUND BITES PLEASE!!!!!Third of all.....I like that they kept it traditional with out scalloping the braces...(Same as my L-20) You gotta LOVE that burst! Fourth of all....specs wise, is that bridge plate Maple or Birch? Fifthly, does this have the "Nick Lucas" depth of sound box?? [thumbup]

Very nice, but I'm curious about the choice of a non-vintage scale on an otherwise classic piece. Nothing wrong with it, just talking guitar. R

Rambler, I thought he was talking about the bridge/saddle style, not the scale.

Modoc....first of all...congratulations!!! VERY nice......Second of all....SOUND BITES PLEASE!!!!!Third of all.....I like that they kept it traditional with out scalloping the braces...(Same as my L-20) You gotta LOVE that burst! Fourth of all....specs wise, is that bridge plate Maple or Birch? Fifthly, does this have the "Nick Lucas" depth of sound box?? [thumbup]

Thanks guys! I will have to see if I can put some clips together. I don't have any recording equipment here at home.

I did try to keep it pretty close to correct. I wasn't trying to make a Legend. (my wallet didn't like it! LOL) but I wanted much closer than a standard Blues King. as for the bridge plate, don't they normally use maple? I didn't specify any difference. here are 2 more pictures of it (one not so good) where you can see color and grain better.

B2.jpg

B1.jpg

looks like a dark piece of maple to me... and i think in the original pic the light was just hitting it funny.

Opps--right you are. Nevermind! Apologies, Modoc

no worries! I am too pure for something like that! lol. i meant the saddle, not the neck.

I ALMOST put AJ style inlay on the fretboard so that it would look like the little sister to my AJ, but decided against it... just couldn't make myself do it. no sense in the girl trying to be something she isn't... She is proud of who she is! :)

Curious to hear your thoughts on the sound vs. say, a Martin 000?

I always find these Gibsons to have a very deep and bassy tone for the size.

This really does have a lot of bass for the size. The martins are much smoother and more refined.... better for classical, laid back stuff. This guitar has a lot more rasp and snarl. It may be weaker on the "pretty stuff" but kills the martin for blues and roots music. No question. That's a good thing because I wanted it for this!

This really does have a lot of bass for the size. The martins are much smoother and more refined.... better for classical, laid back stuff. This guitar has a lot more rasp and snarl. It may be weaker on the "pretty stuff" but kills the martin for blues and roots music.
. Couldnt agree more, re the brand difference. I let a 000 go this year that I'd had since 09. Lovely sound, articulate, but no middle.

. Couldnt agree more, re the brand difference. I let a 000 go this year that I'd had since 09. Lovely sound, articulate, but no middle.

this is why I respect the small Martins but can't find one that fits me. That's ok. I don't see it as a problem needing a remedy!

Archived