Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your fave Rap/Hip Hop tune then

Rabs

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN1SKVx31s

I love the old stuff because you can hear how revolutionary, fresh, and new it was. I remember the first time hearing this music and just being blown away. We had this DJ out of Detroit named The Electrifying Mojo who spun this stuff Sunday nights and we'd tape every show and trade tapes. Ah, the innocent years.

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN1SKVx31s

I love the old stuff because you can hear how revolutionary, fresh, and new it was. I remember the first time hearing this music and just being blown away. We had this DJ out of Detroit named The Electrifying Mojo who spun this stuff Sunday nights and we'd tape every show and trade tapes. Ah, the innocent years.

Like I said, rap until the early 90s was great.

DMC was talented, as were most of their counterparts.

After that, the rapping went up and the talent went away.

On That Metal Show, Scott Ian said that the original rap was killer (Anthrax did a collaboration with Public Enemy), but the newer stuff is complete crap. Cause' the old stuff is a lot like metal; it's aggressive and it had a message. Oh, and it took talent.

The new stuff is just an easy getaway for people that wanna be stars IMHO.

Like I said, rap until the early 90s was great.

DMC was talented, as were most of their counterparts.

After that, the rapping went up and the talent went away.

On That Metal Show, Scott Ian said that the original rap was killer (Anthrax did a collaboration with Public Enemy), but the newer stuff is complete crap. Cause' the old stuff is a lot like metal; it's aggressive and it had a message. Oh, and it took talent.

The new stuff is just an easy getaway for people that wanna be stars IMHO.

That reminds me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3AVjfhvqo

The Bomb Squad did some tasty mixing. Sorry, could not find the original album version. It just ain't on YouTube. AND NO POSTING THE ANTHRAX COVER. YUCK!

OK kaleb.

Rap is easy...anyone could do it. You get a chance to prove your point.

I'll supply you with a beat and you write and perform enough lyrics to fit the song....say 3 minutes.

Post it here.

Deal?

Anyone put a bet on the line?

I'll put in a pack of guitar strings to see if he can rap good!

Fav rap hip hop tune? you realize what your asking an old fart like me? Essentially THAT doesn't exist, and it never will. I can't stand any of it.

Good thing you opened, read and posted in this thread then. What would we have done without ya? :)

Am I the only one who doesn't open threads that don't interest me?

Good thing you opened, read and posted in this thread then. What would we have done without ya? :)

Am I the only one who doesn't open threads that don't interest me?

I'll get your back Shred.. no worries!

OK kaleb.

Rap is easy...anyone could do it. You get a chance to prove your point.

I'll supply you with a beat and you write and perform enough lyrics to fit the song....say 3 minutes.

Post it here.

Deal?

Still no words

I've heard

give him the bird

the nerd that don't write

page white and not right

says it's easy, sleazy don't please me

no skilla

not

Gorillaz is hot

rhymes and beats bangin hangin

on the forum quorum

no wit, he's borin'

what, no more?

an I'm snorin'

It IS easy... for me. Yet we still have nothing. Been called out. Nothing.

I'd say we have our real answer, Mr. Shred.

For the record, I'm old too. If there is even one example, there is no absolute :D!

I'm gonna hop in here...

Never was much of a rap fan (unless you count a little bit of Sublime) but our very own Shred Astaire tossed some rap suggestions at me over a year ago on this forum and I gotta admit, I was impressed. I always choose music based on the mood it creates and the mood I am in. There are now times in my day, week, month, year, when rap is just what the doctor ordered. That's on you Shred! Thanks (I think). [biggrin]

Anyway, I liked this guy best from the Shred Astaire rap primer. I could not stop listening to his newest album for like a month straight.

I'm gonna hop in here...

Never was much of a rap fan (unless you count a little bit of Sublime) but our very own Shred Astaire tossed some rap suggestions at me over a year ago on this forum and I gotta admit, I was impressed. I always choose music based on the mood it creates and the mood I am in. There are now times in my day, week, month, year, when rap is just what the doctor ordered. That's on you Shred! Thanks (I think). [biggrin]

Anyway, I liked this guy best from the Shred Astaire rap primer. I could not stop listening to his newest album for like a month straight.

Yup I totally agree.. I saw Sage a few years ago with B Dolan and it was an AMAZING gig and I hadnt even really listened to much before I went... Also went to the Rhymesayers tour with Atmosphere... Just such great stuff.. So different to a rock gig..

Will be going to more rap gigs in the future for sure. :) [thumbup]

Fav rap hip hop tune? you realize what your asking an old fart like me? Essentially THAT doesn't exist, and it never will. I can't stand any of it.

This strikes a familiar chord with me. I said (almost) exactly the same thing here a couple of years ago and some more enlightened members posted links to cuts which I showed me I was wholly wrong to dismiss an entire genre just because I hadn't yet heard anything I liked.

There is good stuff out there.

P.

Archived