Gibson Brands Forums

Do you ever drink to settle your nerves?

heymisterk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am nervous after work..when I come home...I need to calm down and a nice drink does the trick...no I don't do that everyday...but yes almost everyday.

I dont drink a whole bottle of wine or 6 beers.

But a drink, my guitar... and the eveninmg is mine again.

( Actually, I don't drink anymore....)...

This is me...Clean and sober since spring 2007.

If you have to get drunk/high to calm your nerve's then you have a chemical in-balance in your system and you should seek help right away.

Jokes aside, this is bad if you can't go through your normal day with-out stimulant's!

Self medicate? Sometimes, yes. Used to drink coffee to help with depression. Nothing wrong with having a single delicious beer to turn down the volume. It's when that one beer becomes four or five or the chaser to shots that there is a problem.

I'd say also that a lot has to do with definition of "settle your nerves."

The comment about one's physical chemical balance is quite valid. If I'm charging about and letting "diet" become candy bars and coffee, on occasion a sugar imbalance will leave me with fingers jingling. Orange juice and a bit of proper "food" handles it nicely.

I very seldom take anything with alcohol in it. I'm not against it, but with my type of job and schedule (technically on call 24-7), it's unwise to have more than one even after work at home in the late evening.

The other side is that alcohol or tobacco use can be ritualized. In that sense, it's not so much the use of either is "calming the nerves after a day's work" as it is the ritual itself.

Pipe smokers used to use the ritual of loading and lighting, tamping and such, as a way to delay a response in conversation or negotiation. Alas that such is gone today.

My own "after work ritual" consists mostly of taking off my boots and replacing them with moccasins, lighting a small cigar and turning on the tube. When something interesting is discovered, it's a trip to the refrigerator for a glass of orange juice, then a bit of watching the telly. The "ritual" of time taken for smoke and drink is the relaxant, not the chemicals involved in either.

m

When I said in-balance I meant a huge in-balance. We all have change's in our body on a daily basis. I'm talking about some one who can't get through a day with out getting wasted.

But there is a difference from person to person to, one man's drunk is not even a buzz to another man. Thats saying from one's natural body chemistry not of a body that has built a tolerance over a long time with heavy use/addiction.

Yes.

Though I'm underage, I still have connections.

And a cigar doesn't hurt every now and then. I had one just today. A few friends and I had them together. I hadn't seen one in about 2 years, and another in about 6 months, we basically just walked through the woods, found a quiet spot, and caught up with eachother, the cigar used as a timer for when we walk and talk. Was nice.

Well I guess after all the TV and radio interviews, presentations and gigs I've done in my life, I just don't get nervous about anything anymore. I only got really nervous once playing at the famous Colored Musicians Club. I was 16 and got a call to fill in on piano. It was the first time I played there. Knowing all the history of that place with all the famous musicians and singers who performed there got me nervous. I survived it though and the old timers told me "good job kid."

Some people can drink a drink without getting adicted. I voted yes and said I do drink after work a glass. sometimes not sometime a few...but if I read the coments after me ... Some peeps think I am a drunk now? I also sometime drink just for fun with friends or for the good tast of it.

Some people can drink a drink without getting adicted. I voted yes and said I do drink after work a glass. sometimes not sometime a few...but if I read the coments after me ... Some peeps think I am a drunk now? I also sometime drink just for fun with friends or for the good tast of it.

Some might think your misspelling of "adicted" to be a red flag..........Your spelling of taste as "tast" also, some, would view as a red flag......

However, I've heard your music, and, it is not uncommon for a Belgium to misspell a word or two.........Your music rocks..................................

Some might think your misspelling of "adicted" to be a red flag..........Your spelling of taste as "tast" also, some, would view as a red flag......

However, I've heard your music, and, it is not uncommon for a Belgium to misspell a word or two.........Your music rocks..................................

Darn, cought me....I admid, I'm guilty.

I take propranolol to calm mine. It's also what performers take to calm them before a show. I often have a can of cheap cider after work during the summer to cool me down. But that's all on the drink front.

Can't drink with all the meds I take, so I have been sober since 2009. To be honest I don't even miss it either, I was never a big drinker to start with, although I went a bit crazy with it in my late teens early 20s. When I go out I drink diet coke, or pepsi these days.

Archived