Gibson Brands Forums

In need of amp guidance

DAS44

I may be in a position to grab myself a new amp relatively soon, so I'm deferring to your massive stockpiles of amp knowledge.

I'm looking for some great British tones, the sort of warm fuzziness that manages to kick all kinds of ***. Yes, I know Marshall... I'm not so much a fool as to forget that! But I'm looking for something more specific than a brand name! Anyone have any favorite models (preferably with some reverb built in... I'm a reverb fiend) I should check out?

EDIT- $1200 is my estimate ceiling for price, and I'm looking for something roughly AC30 sized (there's enough room for size around there to allow for most things smaller than a half stack)

First...decide on size and desired power

Whether amp/cab or combo

Check out iconic 'Brit' amps

Marshalls various

Vox AC15, AC30, AC50 etc

Laney VC15, VC30, LC15, LH50 etc

Cornford boutique amps from Whitstable

Other handmades from around the UK

Blackstar....

Enjoy [thumbup]

!!d6YLVQB2M~$(KGrHqUH-DkEttFPlWZWBLgvrU!f9w~~_35.JPG

Has everything you need. Big enough to be loud enough when necessary, 2 forms of gain, reverb tank. Has to be the 1980s teal stripe model though. I picked mine up for roughly $40 and haven't looked back.

first decide how much you want to spend!

Should have left that there! $1200 is my estimated ceiling :P anything in that ballpark.

As for size, something relatively similarly proportioned to an AC30 (some room around there, but no half stacks or anything :P)

The new Marshall 50th anniversary amps rock... I really want a JCM 800 one.. A few people on here have these and ive heard really good things about them.. They come as both combos and heads.. very cool

also something else we have talked about is the new Distortion pedals with built in tubes.. some nice sounds to be had there too

Should have left that there! $1200 is my estimated ceiling :P anything in that ballpark.

As for size, something relatively similarly proportioned to an AC30 (some room around there, but no half stacks or anything :P)

as far as I can tell we both like the marshall tone! [biggrin] so if your in the USA check out carvin.com! I've got an sx300 2-12 comb, solid state 100 watts 3 ch with effects built in, very versatile/capable of marshall tone! new costs about $350.00 If you want a tube Ive also got an x100b 2-12 has a wattage select switch 100-50?-25 watts 2 channel, with builtin equalizer also very much capable of marshall tone!mine is a2-12 combo, which in that form is'nt offered as of now!but is still there as a head and cabinet selection! thinkin the price is around $700.00 or $800.00!had them for several yrs,no problems, still love'em!and there made in the USA [thumbup] It sure would benefit you to give'em a look!happy hunting! [wink] if these are to much power they certainly have smaller ones too!

If you are a fan of reverb, delay, then check the unit DeltaLab Effectron 3

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/84200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-LAB-EFFECTRON-III-w-Memory-ADM1030-Program-DeltaLab-Vintage-80s-ADM-1030-/180834550939

Here is the principle of delta modulation as regards digital conversion of the sound. And it is back again to this unit since has long noticed that the sound is warmer and more musical than with usual PCM conversion.

Guest farnsbarns

I am a proponent of TSL Marshalls, you could go for a 601 or a head and a 2x12. I like the flexibility of 3 channels and a foot switch for channel, reverb and fx loop.

One word for ya "Egnater" They have a tube mix function to go from Brit tones to California Rock, and you can get great tones in-between with the tube mix.

If you check in the Trading Post section I have one for sale. Selling it to fund a Gibson Acoustic, And then I'll most likely pick up another. Check out their site and youtube.

Even if you don't buy mine, I would recommend these amps to anyone, the tone you get out of these can't be beat.

Also the have a variable wattage control.....

Another vote for Carvin.

I bought the V3M a short time back after watching several vids of the wide range of sounds it can make.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/V3M212S

I got the 2x12 slant stack, and you can also get it in a combo package.

Takes up very little room too as seen in my sig below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lwFvKrKqtcU

Good video below showing what each control does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-qwnzGyDN9A

I have mine set on the 7 watt setting, and I have to keep an eye on the volume knob or I will blow myself away, it can get very loud.

Have not even tried it yet on the 22 or 50 watt settings.

I prefer 112 combos. Carvins are quality amps that can usually be picked up at a very reasonable price. I like the Master Tube Series, but they're out of production now. Egnator has a great sound, but I'm not sure how reliable they are. I tend to see a lot that need repair. If you're into boutique amps, check Germino. You can always get a good sounding clean amp and pair it up with an Xotic BB Plus pedal, also.

Check the Mesa Express series, I have the 5:25 head and cab but there is a combo version.

Full features, switchable between 5 and 25 watts, reverb, two channels with two voicings each, all useable. Effects loop, master volume for bedroom use and great when you turn it up and let it open up on its own.

While it is not a "classic" amp, it does a great job with classic tones from rock, blues and jazz.

I know I can get a look at a fair number of your suggestions at my local GC (seen many of them there a few times), but does anyone know any chain (or small store... doesn't matter to me) that has Laneys in stock in the Boston area? Watching some sound demos of the VC30s and I want to give them a whirl... haven't had any luck finding any 'round these parts though.

AC15 or AC30? I know the handwireds like mine don't come with reverb (but that's what I have the Sole-Mate for) but I'm not sure if the regular production models have reverb or not.

Mine does but I swear it's the lamest reverb ever. The amp itself sounds great though.

The TC Electronic "Hall Of Fame" is a great reverb pedal.....Designed to go in front or through an effects loop.........

And for half the price of the TC (and I'm a fan of TC products), the Biyang Tri Reverb is also a really good sounding unit. Around $67 on eBay.

While it's no Marshall, depending on the sounds your after, a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue is worth considering. They break up nicely turned up, have a great clean sound, and a wonderful sounding reverb and tremolo. 1 12 combo, 22 watts. Worth a look at least.

Brit sound huh? Marshall, Vox, Blackstar, Laney, Carlsboro. Right now Blackstar is turning into a hot ticket but, be sure to check out Vox as well. With all due respect, play it first and remember tube amps are loud as hell! Depending on how you are using it you should consider weight factor, size (room in your house), etc. You may only need anything from a 5 watt Blackstar HT-5 to a Marshall Class5. I like Vox AC15 myself! I was playing one about a week ago and, it sounded excellent. When it comes to tube amp and sound reality, many times less is more!

And for half the price of the TC (and I'm a fan of TC products), the Biyang Tri Reverb is also a really good sounding unit. Around $67 on eBay.

Hate to break the news to ya TB, but the Biyang pedals are now being sold by Akai in GC at a considerable markup. The ones on eBay are now shipped from China...they're still great pedals though!

To the OP--for $1200 you can get a new Vox or a gently used Marshall combo. The real question is how LOUD do you want to be?

You can find old JCM800 and JMP Marshall combos on eBay or Craigslist.

Just clip one of the resistors/caps (can't remember) and it'll sound good at lower volumes too!

And if ya' need it to wail, boost pedals!

YEAH!

Archived