Gibson Brands Forums

The Bird has landed .....and I think its a good one.

EuroAussie

So at 10am UPS arrived at work. Had a lunch biz meet so got home around 2pm.

First impressions, looks awesome, love the burst, not as dark cherry as some other TV's, a bit more sunshine, top notch looks. Smells great also.

First few strums, awfuly bright and shimmery. Soon worked out its was the 80/20's which for me dont work at all on this guitar, didnt hear any wood.

Changed to PB lights and first impressions were ...... I'm underwhelmed. Sounds like everything is in place, no dead spots or socks, but just ..... lacks character. Especially when I compared it to the AL SJ which just oozes character and mojo tonewise.

Not a good start .... first ever happened where I played my new to be Gibson and didnt get a wide grin. Even worse considering this would be the most expensive Gibby I ever bought. Where's the honey and necatar dripping all over me as I expected ?? [unsure]

Im getting stressed and disappointed. Mrs EA thinks it sounds just fine, but she's not a nut like me. Although she tells me she prefers the burst of the SJ .... I guess thats how wives and significant others often evaluate ones guitar .... anyway.

Told Mrs EA that I think this will be going back to Thomann, but I persisted and then .... things started to suddenly fall into place.

Suddenly I could hear character, wood, depth, sweet honey (yay!) and realised that this guitar absolutely and utterly HATES bright or ultra fresh strings.

The PB's really had to settle down to hear the true character of the guitar and then it all came out in droves.

Its still very tight, and I need to play some serious Cowboy chords to make this thing settle down a bit, but thats OK, I can now hear the character of the guitar and also the future potential.

Couple other points. The neck profile is a bit thinner than I would like, but ok, .... AND ... there is the darn two piece bridge and Im assuming laminate fingerboard. It doesnt really bother me, but I feel unlucky as I read they will be going back solids soon ..

Is it a keeper ? Dunno yet, I have 30 days to evaluate. Need to make sure there is a true place in the stable. Its sort of weird having two of the same guitars next to each I must admit. (even though they do sound different )

Anyway, thats the story thus far folks. I made a clip, same passage as with the older Bird, you compare. Let me know what you think. Sorry about the playing, its really sloppy, infact ignore the last Thomann jingle as its totally crap. I basically didnt eat all day and was tired and under too much anxiety and stress from this Bird'.

best to watch on 720p

cheers

EA

Hey EA,,

congrats' on your new Bird..she looks gorgeous man..... I think she sounds great also. Listening to the clips...I would pick the TV Bird over your hotrod anyday.... The TV has more sparkle..and clarity in my view. These guitars are just beautiful to record..and easy. You may be wanting a more wood/bass response ? I think this comes in time. I remember playing my first HB TV ( the one I had to return ) it was over 4 years old.. but bought new from store..new old stock... and the response was much more open than my current Bird.. but I know my Bird will get that open tone, while keeping her sparkle, in a year or so. Hope you bond a little more over the next couple of weeks.. I bet you will B)

HeeeeyPrague, , , , , here we go. The guitar sounds as it should from here. There seems to be a good bass, which balances fine with the mids and in the recording rather chorused trebs – add the absolutely right edge of crispness. It appears to be a tooth quieter than the C&W, but no issue. What I hear is a new Hummingbird that needs time to land. And 30 days won't be enough – but let's see what happens in this test period.

As said, in these cans everything sings like a genuine Bird. The clip is a bit milky, so one doesn't get the right impression of the burst. It looks great though. I'm exited for you and will follow things from the wing.

Don't spare us a single phase.

Congratulation on this one EA - may you have a splendid evening, week, month. . . .

Pardon, but why not use these ridiculous double posts in some creative way -

Don't notice particularly wet dripping h-glaze, but didn't with mine either. I think it's something that develops as the top softens.

My '08 has taken the first step in that direction.

That is one gorgeous guitar -- just a beautiful burst. Congrats! [woot]

Re: the sound, I agree it still sounds a little tight/clean compared to the '69, but seems like it could really shine once it settles in a bit. Seems like just as big a question will be whether the thinner neck suits you.

The video sounds exactly how you described the sound.

You have 30 days...so don't panic or rush, just enjoy. You will know.

I like bright guitars....that is actually how I evaluate then on first impression. It is a lot easier to make adjustments and mellow out a bright guitar than it is to make a dull guitar come alive. I would say that is a very good thing.

You also mentioned wanting to do more 'leads and fills'. A brighter guitar USUALLY has a tendency to have a better sound as you move up the neck, where a lot of guitars loose tone going up the neck.

Couple other considerations: How does the neck feel in your hand? How does it play from a left hand perspective?

Stein, the neck feels fine, but not as comfy as on my AL SJ or the HB MC which have same and slightly thicker necks. But its certainly thicker then the pencil thin on the 69' version. I will just need to adjust to it but it should not be a major issue.

The video sounds exactly how you described the sound.

You have 30 days...so don't panic or rush, just enjoy. You will know.

I like bright guitars....that is actually how I evaluate then on first impression. It is a lot easier to make adjustments and mellow out a bright guitar than it is to make a dull guitar come alive. I would say that is a very good thing.

You also mentioned wanting to do more 'leads and fills'. A brighter guitar USUALLY has a tendency to have a better sound as you move up the neck, where a lot of guitars loose tone going up the neck.

Couple other considerations: How does the neck feel in your hand? How does it play from a left hand perspective?

She looks beautiful.

Yes . . . it's a nerve wracking dilemma. A new Gibby. A bit tight. Will she open up?

Sounds to me like she's at a very nice starting point. Your description of the sound seems on the mark to me.

Give her plenty of play time in the next couple weeks and I think she'll show you more.

She looks beautiful.

Yes . . . it's a nerve wracking dilemma. A new Gibby. A bit tight. Will she open up?

Sounds to me like she's at a very nice starting point. Your description of the sound seems on the mark to me.

Give her plenty of play time in the next couple weeks and I think she'll show you more.

Well spoken -

But please don't forget your own tale. You are my 18-month-man BK and I keep in mind that 1 ½ year was what it took for your blonde Jumbo to melt.

There's an amount of serious weight and perspective to that, which I dig a lot.

Sounds just great, EA. Keep playing Angie like that and I sense that the beefy Keefy bass notes will start to appear - not quite with the thump that the SJ would give you, but close. The only reason I can see for returning would be the desire for a single-piece bridge and its cosmetic qualities. Given the promise of reintroduction, it might just be worth holding out for a later issue if that's important to you. Once again, though, I think you've demonstrated that the Lacey bridges don't in any way affect tone detrimentally.

this guitar absolutely and utterly HATES bright or ultra fresh strings.

Congrats on the new guitar!!! I can't tell anything about the sound on my crappy laptop speakers at work, but it sure looks nice!

I agree with your guitar - I absolutely hate ultra fresh strings, too. Even with phosphor bronze, it usually is 2-3 days before they start to warm up and I start to like them. I hate that period when they are brand new and all you hear is the metal and not the wood.

I have found that I really like the Pyramid "Premium Bronze Wound" phosphor bronze strings, though. They don't have that overly bright, brand new string sound. Fresh out of the pack, they sound full, rich and warm. I absolutely love them on my J-45 Legend. I put a set of them on my brother's H'bird TV when I had temporary custody of it, and they sounded great on that guitar, too. I don't use them on my AJ, though, as that guitar does need somewhat brighter strings. They ain't cheap, but they are fantastic strings. You might want to give them a try. They are made in Germany, so they are probably easier for you to get over there than they are for me to get in the US. Below is a link to a seller in the US so you can see what I am talking about.

My link

These are the exact strings that I have on the Bird now ! :-)

Congrats on the new guitar!!! I can't tell anything about the sound on my crappy laptop speakers at work, but it sure looks nice!

I agree with your guitar - I absolutely hate ultra fresh strings, too. Even with phosphor bronze, it usually is 2-3 days before they start to warm up and I start to like them. I hate that period when they are brand new and all you hear is the metal and not the wood.

I have found that I really like the Pyramid "Premium Bronze Wound" phosphor bronze strings, though. They don't have that overly bright, brand new string sound. Fresh out of the pack, they sound full, rich and warm. I absolutely love them on my J-45 Legend. I put a set of them on my brother's H'bird TV when I had temporary custody of it, and they sounded great on that guitar, too. I don't use them on my AJ, though, as that guitar does need somewhat brighter strings. They ain't cheap, but they are fantastic strings. You might want to give them a try. They are made in Germany, so they are probably easier for you to get over there than they are for me to get in the US. Below is a link to a seller in the US so you can see what I am talking about.

My link

Sounds great EA!

Re: the nut, what I thought was Tusq, was actually bone. I had a new vintage bone nut installed to replace the stock one, only to find out that the stock one was bone after all....!

The replacement 'vintage bone' nut did not quite work for me, soundwise. It looks great and all but def sounds darker to me. I will be swapping it out again soon.

As for the plastic pins......i like 'em. I got some nice bone pins to use but i feel they just seemed to 'choke' the overall sound of the guitar.... Tried 'em a few times now, same result everytime....go figure.

Right now I have a Tusq saddle installed and i gotta say....I'm liking it.....didnt think I would notice as much of a difference as I do, but def alot more 'chime' to the guitar and harmonics seem much more pronounced with the Tusq saddle than with the bone one.

Ya never know till ya try, but I will never assume that bone is gonna always make things sound better.... :P

New 'Bird in da house!!

Yes, the new guitar does sound a little brittle compared to the tranny 'Bird, but that's to be expected with, if nothing more, the difference in the age of the two. I know my Hummingbird has mellowed and warmed since I first brought it home last November. If everything else is in order, give it the time it needs to settle itself. It looks great! While I have never been a fan of coated strings, my friend at my old stomping grounds gave me a set of D'Addario EXP coat phosphor bronze that I have on the H'Bird now and they sound very, very good. And the plus is they do not feel like a coated string at all. D'Addario coats the wrap wire before the string is wound and that seems to make all the difference in the world for feel. Nice warm tone........we'll see about longevity.

For what it's worth I agree w/ Em on the balance of the new burst. And Stein on the bright, clear tone too. I like a brighter sounding guitar myself. I'm sure that it will get better as it took my new Dove (now 12 months old) almost a year to really make me feel like I hadn't made a mistake. I had faith & glad I did. Just LOVE it now. Plays wonderful, sounds better each month. Hang in there. If it sounds that good out of the chute I think you've got a real keeper. [thumbup]

Aster

Congratulations on the new 'Bird! I actually love the colour of the lighter cherry burst as compared to the darker ones. I think it is absolutely beautiful!! I listened to both clips thru the headphones over and over 10 seconds at a time and it could be the new strings but the bass notes on the TV seem so much richer and fuller than on the '69. The mids and highs might sound a little tight. I think you should also compare them the same way we are and see what you think. Do a few more clips playing the same song on each one again and try listening to 10 seconds or so at a time of each song thru headphones. Play on Playa!

Archived