Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Taylor on Sustainable Woods

I'm not a hater of alternative resources. Honestly, the idea of materials such as Richlite doesn't bother me.

This new ebony looks like a fine wood. Seriously, so what if the board is not perfectly black?

I love reading his articles in his newsletters. He responds to everyone's questions and frequently talks about what is going on. He's very down to Earth and just seems like a great guy. I love my Taylor and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My tech says that both PRS and Taylor are great companies to work with. For example, the Expression System stopped working on a particular Taylor someone brought to him. The warranty had expired but Taylor replaced it for free. On the other hand Fender once made him ship back a defective part which was lost in the mail. They made him pay for it! Gibson, well it is a Gibson forum, so I'll keep quiet.

BTW, the world changes. We either adapt or we don't.

I hope Gibson will give Taylor's new mill a little patronage.

It sounds like all the builders will. I'm happy that ebony will be available but happier that so many of those downed trees will be used while those standing will have time to grow.

Very interesting clip.

I like the idea of ebony with figure/colour variation. IMHO it may even enhance the appearance of a 'board in much the same way as figure/flame is seen as an attractive quality of some maple caps.

Good for Mr. Taylor!

P.

great video, really cuts to the heart of the issue doesn't it.

"lets skip the 10 years, and just embrace reality..." Well done Bob.

Every musician and shop owner should see this. This message needs to get out to all.

Thanks for posting.

That's progressive thinking: if we want this wood to be around for generations then we need to make changes.

This made me even prouder to be the owner of a Taylor. In all of the dealings I have had with them they have been nothing short of great. Like when the neck warped on my 2007 110, Taylor replaced it free of charge. Wish I liked their electrics more, but maybe I need to give them another chance. If I ever have the funds to treat myself to a deluxe acoustic there is no question that I'll be getting a Taylor.

Although I do not like it, the reality of the world is that it takes compassionate people with a lot of money to purchase and then manage, protect, and be stewards of natural resources like woods.

Great post.

Very enlightening and thought provoking commentary.

My Taylor guitar's ebony fretboard is not solid black. At first it kinda bothered me a bit. Now I understand why it is the way it is. It would be nice if the non black areas flowed with the natural grain but it doesn't. It is more spotty than that. There only a couple of spots that aren't solid black but you know what, I'm totally cool with it.

I wonder if Rosewood harvesting went the same way? Only keep what is considered perfection and leave the rest in the forest.

I'll take a picture of the non black areas if anyone is interested.

Dave

This gives me a whole new level of respect for Bob Taylor. Well presented & very thoughtful. Btw, Martin has been using "striped ebony" ( primarily with streaks of brown) for over a decade. No big deal at all, imho.

The first striped ebony fretboard I ever saw was in a picture posted of a Carvin guitar on the Carvin Community website. The owner had just purchased it from Carvin. (Carvin uses ebony as the stock fretboard wood on many, if not all, of their guitars.) The buyer was upset with the look and was debating sending it back. I thought it looked cool! [thumbup]

Ebony-Fretboard.png

This made me even prouder to be the owner of a Taylor.

+1 on that

I have two Taylors, (314CE, GS Series) I would not hesitate to purchase a 3rd one, not only based on the fact that they are freaking fabulous acoustics, but also because Bob Taylor is being about as reasonable and responsible as he could possibly be. The finishes on all Taylors are among the LEAST harmful to the environment and always have been (they are indeed a pain to repair tho!)

/KB

I heard a guy telling me that he now owns all the ebony in the world, he is going to sell the crap ebony, and we had all better get used to it. The people that have enough money don't have to pay any attention to "the forest", they'll still get the good stuff I'm sure.

rct

I heard a guy telling me that he now owns all the ebony in the world, he is going to sell the crap ebony, and we had all better get used to it. The people that have enough money don't have to pay any attention to "the forest", they'll still get the good stuff I'm sure.

rct

apparently, your glass is half empty...

apparently, your glass is half empty...

If they stop selling good ebony, no more rosewood, no more Spruce from Sitka or Englemen from Europe, if they stop doing all these things, my glass will be half full.

Fact is, they won't. They are using all of their new-found Greenness to simply make more money from ever scarcer resources. It is my experience that they have no interest whatsoever in tomorrow, they are interested in making as much money as they can, Today.

That isn't a judgement, it isn't a bad thing, it is how it is, it is my experience.

If it truly mattered they would stop using it. Period. I will bet you one American Dollar they do not do that, and that slowly but surely Rosewood, Good Mahogany, Ebony, all will become expensiver "upgrades".

rct

If they stop selling good ebony, no more rosewood, no more Spruce from Sitka or Englemen from Europe, if they stop doing all these things, my glass will be half full.

Fact is, they won't. They are using all of their new-found Greenness to simply make more money from ever scarcer resources. It is my experience that they have no interest whatsoever in tomorrow, they are interested in making as much money as they can, Today.

That isn't a judgement, it isn't a bad thing, it is how it is, it is my experience.

If it truly mattered they would stop using it. Period. I will bet you one American Dollar they do not do that, and that slowly but surely Rosewood, Good Mahogany, Ebony, all will become expensiver "upgrades".

rct

So anyway, this debate has been going on for at least he last 6 years if not longer. Some of the guitar rags have had articles about this several times. the first warning shot was spruce, then rosewood, now it's ebony. In general, I cannot totally disagree with what you are getting at, but the idea of cutting down 20 trees to get 2 that have the right grain and color, just seems ridiculous.

Does it mean, in anyway that the ebony that has streaks in it is in anyway inferior to the stock that doesn't? It seems cosmetic to me, no? I still think that Taylor is being as responsible as need to be, I don't disagree that it's on one hand yet another way to push Green down everyone's throat, but ya know, he is right when the resources are gone, their gone.

Archived