Gibson Brands Forums

What's your goal when you play a song?

FirstMeasure

Mostly to get through it without screwing up - especially the words if I am singing.

Same here!

I try to practice as much as I can without burning out.

I don't wanna get sloppy. I like to be on top of things at all times! [thumbup]

That's the hard part, practicing without sterilizing the song.

I'm mainly trying to sell it (the "sell out" thread got me thinking in this direction). But I'm really not sure what that means besides finding the pocket, playing the right notes and hitting the dynamics.

Since I only play covers for myself or at casual jams, it is 100% about the emotion. Half the time I am doing a reinterpretation of the song so performance wins over playing it note for note from start to finish.

I guess if my band did covers I'd put more into them and I do more crowd pleasers and less stuff like Social D's Cold Feelings or Radiohead's Exit Music for a Film.

Depends on the situation..

If its just me, I just tend to have fun (unless im practicing for something specific) and try to just let go

If im playing for people then I try to entertain, still dont really care about mistakes

If im playing in a band then as said you just want the whole band to sound good so you try hard not to screw up, and if you do to just try and cover it if you can and carry on as smoothly as possible..

Apart from that I always try to play from my heart so people (and me) not only hear it but feel it :)

When I'm playing a song I endeavour to get it to a point where I'm satisfied with it.I have learned over the years to be honest with myself when critiquing my own playing and sometimes I am a bit hard on myself, as others will say that a certain song sounds great yet to me it isn't polished enough.I find a lot of people haven't learned to be honest with themselves and end up being quite satisfied with a way less than adequate cover of a song or even worse they'll listen to false praise and take it to heart-that doesn't do anybody favours.The best thing anyone can do is to record themselves playing the song that they are learning and playing it back to back with the original and tell yourself honestly if there is much of a difference between them.But that's the stickler-we all have to learn to be totally honest with ourselves if we strive to be the absolute best we can be.

No mistakes? Convey Emotion? Relaxation? Entertain?

What's on your mind when you start a song?

Hmmm......For me, it all depends....I don't really gig anymore; When I did, covering a band who didn't do their own songs like the studio version,

then I'd set that as the goal....Doing covers of bands that do their own songs much like the record, I'd set the bar higher....For learning on my own

and for simple practice and fun, I don't usually set the bar very high.....I'm currently making cover tracks for a singer who has licenses to cover

songs....I'm setting the bar too high, and am working way too hard to get them right.....When doing my own songs, well, that's easy for me,

and when helping others write and finish their songs, the bar is high, but that's something I do well.....What I'm trying to do more and more

these days is to actually FORCE myself to really learn new songs as propery as possible.....I'd like to be a much more skilled guitarist....

So, for me, the bar varies........( Interesting thread, with interesting answers...)..

My goal is to enjoy the song and do a good interpretation but that really depends on the song. Some songs I love to play and it's fun which translates to the audience as well. Other songs I try to get through without make mistakes. Those are usually the newer songs that I still have to rely on the sheet music. My biggest worry is losing my place... Other songs, the ones I don't like as much, I try to do my job and lay down a good foundation for the rest of the band and that's about it...

Archived