Gibson Brands Forums

The Album Artwork Thread

Riffster

So lets talk album artwork, an album meaning an album, regardless of delivery format (8 Track, Cassette Tape, Vinyl, CD, DVD Audio,Digital Download, etc...)

What is your favorite cover of all times? the one you never understood? the lamest? the best package or the one that simply made a good or bad impression on you. What do you like or dislike about album artwork?

I'll start by saying that as a big Maiden fan their vinyls always had tons of cool artwork, cover, inner sleevs and even the center of the vinyl record. Overall best album artwork package.

One of my favorite covers is the Black Sabbath album, made an impression on me when I first saw it, simple and timelless. Although have to say that Hellhammer's Apocalyptic Raids was always creepier to me but that's a drawing.

The lamest that comes to my mind is Motley Crue's Theater of Pain, I was pissed when that came out...the record and the cover (barf)...

I always thought Led Zeppelin's 'Physical Grafitti' had the most interesting concept, where if you moved the inner vinyl sleeve it changed what was in a window. And though I'm not much a fan of them because they absolutly bore me to death, Tool usually has ver interesting album packaging as well.

As for cover art though, haven't quite decided yet.

I always like the Roger Dean artwork on many of the Yes albums - I really like Relayer.

One of the coolest things was on the album Paridise Theatre by Styx - on the vinyl there was a graphic etched into it where if you held it on edge you could see the art work.

I always thought Led Zeppelin's 'Physical Grafitti' had the most interesting concept' date=' where if you moved the inner vinyl sleeve it changed what was in a window. [/quote']

My brother in law has that album, I do remember that cover pretty cool.

He also has the Faces album where the character on the cover "grins" if you pull a tab on top of the cover.

Then there's the Rolling Stones record Sticky Fingers with the actual zipper on the pants. Cool stuff.

I'd certainly like to suggest the awesome artwork Paul Romano has created for Mastodon. The artwork of Call of the Mastodon, Remission, Leviathan and Blood Mountain (and the separate singles they released). Amazing work, in the form of the picture-discs and inner folds of the LP's.

To me, nothing is more perfectly fitting as Moby **** smashing his carved and scarrified cranium through a burning ship. Most certainly screaming (as all kick-arse whales do) a vicious, bloody vengeance for his comrades who fell at the hands of Ahab!

My brother in law has that album' date=' I do remember that cover pretty cool.

He also has the Faces album where the character on the cover "grins" if you pull a tab on top of the cover.

Then there's the Rolling Stones record Sticky Fingers with the actual zipper on the pants. Cool stuff.[/quote']

Great album, and cover :-({|=

Now you're making me want to go through my vinyls when I get home because I can't remember thename of the Faces album.

After I made my post I was actually thinking about editing it t add in that RS album to the list as well. I remember my mom told me when that record came out there was all sorts of controversy about that cover just because of the movable zipper.

I remember being a kid and going in the local record store. There was always this wierd album by Savoy Brown that I would stare at. I knew nothing about the band then, but something about it always caught my eye. It's called Lookin In.

Another album that I loved to "study" was Elton John's Captain Fantastic. Especially after having a little.....you know. :P

I always like the Roger Dean artwork on many of the Yes albums - I really like Relayer.

One of the coolest things was on the album Paridise Theatre by Styx - on the vinyl there was a graphic etched into it where if you held it on edge you could see the art work.

+1 Any of Rodger Deans work.... But this one always had the most impact. I think because that was me at the time...

court-crimson-king.jpg

Archived