Gibson Brands Forums

Who Looks The Coolest With A Guitar?

kaleb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doggone, I'll try this one again...

Doc Watson. Segovia. Carlos Montoya. Joe Pass. Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Charlie Byrd. BB King. John Lee Hooker. Chet Atkins. Leo Kottke. Lester Flatt. Girls? Mother Maybelle, Rory Block, Joan Baez... And whole bunches of others.

They didn't try to look all that hot, therefore look far more cool.

Pretty decent pickers, too.

Then again, I'm an old guy.

Orbison was actually seen initially as a better guitarist. His stage presence was almost no wigglin' and almost no lip movement. And audiences simply froze.

m

Based on how they strut with the guitar, girls wanna throw panties at these men...

For me the question reads, "who makes you wanna throw panties on stage?"

That makes deciding super easy: Prince

He is just such a lady, the way he keeps his legs closer together, the right usually proped just slightly higher, and he sways and dances with it. Sexy is the word. Hendrix is the rougher version, still sexy but WAY too animalistic. Price is a doll of a man. Hendrix is an animal I'd never want to encounter in the wild. Other guitarrists I wanna emulate, Prince I wanna watch.

Izzy...

You made me remember the time, a long, long time ago, when I was playing a rock gig and we didn't even have a stage, but the small town bowling alley had a "ballroom" that brought in a good crowd.

I was playing a big old single cutaway semi hollow Rick (they apparently haven't made those in ages) with a long, long curly cord on it. Ended up dancing with a very attractive young lady toward the end of the evening. It was in our slow tune closing set ... she was inside the guitar strap with me.

No garments tossed. But... it was a lotta fun. <grin>

Don't think of that gig very often, but... Ah, youth. Yeah, so long ago she's just gotta be a grandma. Maybe a "great grandma" even.

Sheesh. Now I wish I didn't remember it. <chortle>

m

I think that Jimi Hendrix had about the coolest stage presence,especially when it came to holding a guitar.When I first saw the Woodstock movie I thought that he appeared Godlike stood there with that beautiful white Strat,flashing the Peace sign to the crowd.Just about everything that Jimi did on stage was so natural to him and you would think that it was well choreographed by the way he moved.He often used the guitar like an oversized phallic symbol which added to the audience-especially female members-being so hysterical at times.

John Lennon and George Harrison also looked incredibly cool with guitars,John,because he exuded such self confidence and also at the same time looked like he was having the time of his life-which he was.George just appeared to be so laid back when on stage that this alone added to his coolness.

Regarding the Stones I always thought that Brian Jones looked way cooler than Keef by the simple fact that he always looked so aloof that he at times appeared to be disinterested in being there at all except you knew he was enjoying it all immensely because he often would flash the audience or camera one of his trademark mischievous smirks.Keef always looked like he was trying to look cool and was trying so hard that to me it always looked posed.

I think that Jimi Hendrix had about the coolest stage presence,especially when it came to holding a guitar.When I first saw the Woodstock movie I thought that he appeared Godlike stood there with that beautiful white Strat,flashing the Peace sign to the crowd.Just about everything that Jimi did on stage was so natural to him and you would think that it was well choreographed by the way he moved.He often used the guitar like an oversized phallic symbol which added to the audience-especially female members-being so hysterical at times.

John Lennon and George Harrison also looked incredibly cool with guitars,John,because he exuded such self confidence and also at the same time looked like he was having the time of his life-which he was.George just appeared to be so laid back when on stage that this alone added to his coolness.

Regarding the Stones I always thought that Brian Jones looked way cooler than Keef by the simple fact that he always looked so aloof that he at times appeared to be disinterested in being there at all except you knew he was enjoying it all immensely because he often would flash the audience or camera one of his trademark mischievous smirks.Keef always looked like he was trying to look cool and was trying so hard that to me it always looked posed.

As far as Brian Jones goes, maybe that's where Ace Frehley got his shtick from. C'mon! Ace never jumped around or moved a lot onstage, and he always looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. He's Mr. Aloof.

Archived