Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, now you guys can REALLY talk smack about me.

ksdaddy

Wow. That has turned out well. I am taken by the number of Ovation guitars you have. What's that all about?

Well, I do have a few "normal" Ovations (not pictured)... a white '79 Balladeer, an original Kaman prototype for the 1983 Collector's Edition, and a '66 Balladeer, serial number 93 (!). And a '75 Classic en route. But the whole US made aluminum necked Applause thing is that they're pariahs. Nobody likes them. In fact they despise them. But I know better. I know how to fix them where "luthiers" turn their noses up, and I know how good they can sound. So I've decided to adopt every one that I can get my hands on.

Can i come over?

You do realize that Caribou is WAY the Frack up in N.E. Maine?......

Like seriously .... Waaaaay up there, Google it, you'll see.

I grew up in what I thought were the outskirts of the universe in the mid coast area of that state.

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

You do realize that Caribou is WAY the Frack up in N.E. Maine?......

Like seriously .... Waaaaay up there, Google it, you'll see.

I grew up in what I thought were the outskirts of the universe in the mid coast area of that state.

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

I might be in the area one day, i travel a lot. Nothing better to do with all this free time college gives you on vacation...

I've got two Ovation shallow bowl Applause guitars. One my wife bought for me back in the early 90s... the other I acquired recently from a widow lady . The top is cracked nine ways from Sunday... but it plays good, and sounds good. I hope to sell it at the community garage sale this summer...when things thaw out. I see we both have a Presque Isle close to us. Mine is about 4 miles away.

You deserve a standing Ovation for having such a nice collection .Maine is the closest U.S. state to Newfoundland since it's just South of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick-you're welcome to drop by any time with any of your lovely toys.BTW I live right in the middle of the largest concentration of Caribou in the province.

I won't make fun of you KSDaddy each of us has the right to be as weird as we want to be, I have to admit that's and impressive collection/obsession and the only time Ive ever looked into a room like that and thought Those are nice guitar Hangers!!! :-"

All joking aside I can understand most old guitars having following but sadly not the Applause line. Ovation's included I don't get it, I have three Ovation right now two ovations and one Adama. The Ovations are a matched set, A 6 string Balladeer deep bowl, as well as a matching twelve string and then a Adamas Kaki King model which is a very high end guitar supposedly over 5k and the only thing I can say is they sound really good plugged in good tone good balance everything right on as far as playing un amplified Yuck sound kind of like a snow shovel with strings. The Adamas is better but especially the twelve string is horrid withou amplification. I used to own two others and three Applause models (if i remember they were similar lower end models) and they didn't even sound good plugged in so they were gotten rid of years ago. I like the concept and have probably owned 20 or more over the years and doubt if even one of them lasted a year there a taste I couldn't ever aquire, but congrats glad those old tupperware turtles have a place to live in out of the weather.

Strange to scrape all that old vinyl flooring out just to replace it with plastic/vinyl guitars.

Archived