Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Tenon

heymisterk

The question is basic: Can you tell the difference just by playing and listening?

I see the Custom Shop models tout the long neck tenon, which leads me to believe your non-custom LPs and SGs are NOT so well-endowed... [biggrin]

Strangely, I notice that the Orville and Elitist models made in Japan tout the long neck tenon.

What say you?

For us snobs and elitist pr!cks it's a must have.

For the rest of the bottom feeders I don't know.msp_lol.gif

Fair enough.

I honestly don't think I have ever played one with a long neck tenon. I know my '05 LP Standard didn't have one, nor did my '95 SG Standard.

Being that my SG Classic is so reasonably priced, I doubt it has the long tenon...yet I can never imagine a guitar sounding as good my Classic, so I like it here, feeding on the bottom! [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

It is not just the length of the tenon but also the size of it and the area of contact between neck and body.

Not all Gibson models have short versus long tenon, but for instance on SGs there is the joint in the current standards or like you SG Classic and the 61 reissue that many claim it is not as strong.

Doesn't matter at all, it's all hype and that's the truth... :-({|=+:-@

The only part I disagree with is the overly polite use of the word "hype". It's all crap, and if that's what it takes to sell someone a guitar, they deserve whatever they get.

rct

It seems like common sense that a longer tenon makes the joint stronger and improves contact between neck and body.

Tone is always subjective just like the difference in tone between a bolt on and a set neck.

Just think about this, the neck of a guitar gets glued or bolted onto the body and at that point contact between the neck and body is secured. The two pieces are making contact and will transmit vibrations from one part to another. Both the long and short tenon have a good chunk of wood going into the body but just the fact that the neck is set into the body gives you all the contact you need.

A set neck may be more structurally sound but I don't think it receives more vibrations than a bolt on neck. Those 4 bolts tightened down make a damn good connection too. I don't think a long or short tenon will effects tone or sustain. Do Fender Stratocaster have good tone and sustain? Jimi may have said yes... [biggrin] IMHO a set neck is cosmetically better looking than a bolt on but since you can't see inside the guitar I don't think there is anyone who can tell just buy playing or listening to a guitar if it has a long or short tenon

If any luthier types or Gibson guys have any other light to shed on the subject I'd like to hear it...

.........I don't think there is anyone who can tell just buy playing or listening to a guitar if it has a long or short tenon

I agree 110% but all other things being equal I would rather have the long tenon if only for it's greater strenghth and stability. Not a big deal but just a small improvement.

Tenon or no, head stocks will still snap when gravity does it's magic, and that thing hits the floor.

I'm with RCT -- all crap.

I do not get your point since the tenon is where the neck meets the body and the headstock has nothing to do with it. Sort of like not knowing the difference between an *** and an elbow.

If you think the details of guitar construction is all crap than I suppose being a luthier is not in your future.

I do not get your point since the tenon is where the neck meets the body and the headstock has nothing to do with it. Sort of like not knowing the difference between an *** and an elbow.

If you think the details of guitar construction is all crap than I suppose being a luthier is not in your future.

It isn't about being a luthier or knowing the details of guitar construction. It is about using such bullshit as long or short tenon as Sales Tool, especially for people that really don't know anything about guitars.

Never took back a record, never had a record sent back to me, never fired, never had anyone ever walk off a job because the wrong neck tenon was being used. If your experience is different, I'm fine with that.

rct

• 2 years later...

I don't think Gibson cares about the differences b/t the long tenon vs. the short tenon. It is a way of setting the neck at the region where the body and neck join. The longer tenon might have more surface and thereby create more sustain and less sustain with a short tenon. It seems the Custom Les Paul may have the long tenon and other ones with non weight relieved bodies. But it isn't always so. The historic reissues also may have the long tenon. I think the proliferation of weight relived bodies in most Les Pauls are proof that Gibson doesn't think this is an important issue.

My opinion is that it really doesn't make a difference. So I'll play my LP and ES-347 without cork sniffing attitude and have fun playing.

Archived