Gibson Brands Forums

Music Stores

brannon67

I buy primarily from individuals, not dealers. I have bought one consignment guitar from an online dealer, and a couple from people who may buy and sell guitars on occasion, but barely qualify as dealers in the traditional sense. I bought my first Gibson used from a dealer, but other than that, I've never walked into a store and walked out with a guitar I purchased.

It's sometimes hard to tell with online purchases whether the seller is a dealer or an individual.

I admit,, I go to the stores for last minute gotta haves.

I have bought my last (at least 5) guitars on line (Sweetwater/MF/EM Shorts)

only had one incident that was not remedied with a proper setup

and the return process was about as hassle free as it could have been

I know I'm taking a chance, but so far, have not a bad experience.

It depends. I get a lot of stuff from Elderly. I've gotten a guitar from MF before (no longer have it.) Used to order from and visit FQMS in Louisville a lot, but they went way downhill. Ordered a guitar from Maple Leaf in Brattleboro VT (great folks there.)My Gibby L-00 came from GC. I also visit local shops to get various things. And then there's the D-28 that I bought while working in my dad's bar way back when.

Where do you guys buy your guitars mostly. Big chains like GC, internet(American Music, ZZounds, Musicians Friend, etc) or smaller local mom and pop music stores in your town?

I buy mostly from smaller stores not in my town. For example, I do quite a lot of business with Music Villa in Bozeman, which is just over 1000 miles from my home. That's far enough away that I only visit once a year, but any dealer within 500 miles or so is a candidate for a "weekend getaway".

-- Bob R

I have purchased three new guitars from Mandolin Bros, two Martins and a Goodall. Two new Gibsons from a five star dealer, Russo in NJ. I have purchased two used guitars from friends. Never bought on line. I bought a used LP standard at a show years ago. These stores are not local to me but worth the trip when spending that kind of money. What's interesting is more than once I went to either place intending to buy one guitar and came home with a different one. There's something to be said for trying out seveal guitars the same day.

I played six HD28 guitars back in 1991 before I took one home from Mandolin Bros. On the next trip there to buy my son his own Martin, he came home with the Goodall and I came home with a D18GE that I didn't know I needed until I played it!

First trip to Russo I was set on buying a J45TV, but came home with an Advanced Jumbo. Ya just never know!

I did just buy a Voyage Air from a local Mom and Pop store.

I guess I'm lucky to have good stores within reasonable driving distance. I can't see myself buying on line.

Rich

I've purchased all my guitars from a small locally-owned shop except for one, which I snatched on craigslist locally from a nice older guy. I've bought enough gear from my local shop through the years that they know me by name when I walk through the door. If I ever have a problem, they go out of their way to take care of me.

We have a Guitar Center here too, but never considered buying a guitar from the place.

I buy from folks I know or a friend of a friend kind of thing and small music stores I have a good relationship with. I pretty much buy used and I guess I am lucky in that everybody has figured out that if they want to have a prayer of selling me a guitar they need to let me live with it for a bit to give it a good test drive.

Willie's, Wildwood, Music Villa and Two Old Hippies, all top notch. I did buy 2 Epiphone AJ knockoffs from MF, and had them shipped. One to my 95 year old father for his birthday, and one to my in-laws house so I'd have a plausable reason to escape when needed. I have no big box type stores nearby, and little reason to need them.

There is no store in my town so I usually buy from the online retailer I can get the best deal from. I prefer MF because it's one day shipping from their warehouse in KC to my door. Nothing worse than worrying about a guitar that you know is sitting in a UPS truck while it's 10 degrees (or 105 degrees) outside.

I bought my last Gibson from E.M. Shorts in Wichita, it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from my house. That will probably be something I repeat on my next Gibson purchase, they did me right on price and it was very nice to play the guitar before I bought it. They aren't a 5 Star dealer but they had a nice selection of Gibson acoustics to choose from, as well as Guilds and Larivees. They said they can order in most anything Gibson makes, except the 5 Star, GC, MF and Sweetwater exclusives.

I bought my last Gibson from E.M. Shorts in Wichita, it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from my house.

yea, EM Shorts is an excellent place to do bizz with. bought a number of things from them but I'm in Central Mass, a 2+ day drive! so I had them ship it! [thumbup]

I've pretty much purchased from the whole lot of um, some from the Ma an Pop store in town, some online & fourms, some at the local SA & GC. I really would like to

start travelling out of state and checking out some the independant stores that carry Gibson's and others just for the journey and adventure of visiting other

stores to see what's out there.

The 1st trip I am planning, I want to head down to Lexington Ky to Willcutt Guitars, I've heard good things about them, so I'll go check them out......

Archived