Gibson Brands Forums

Wow, what a nice ebay seller!

ksdaddy

Shopping on ebay tonight someone had a Strat on there... in the subtitle it said something like "from the 80s I was told". The serial number started with N7 so I messaged him and said "The serial number starts with N7, it's a 1997."

His response was "Are you interested in the guitar or are you just trying to look important?"

Wow. that'll teach me to help someone!

Feel free to correct me anytime. I figure that's called being a freind.

I wonder how he would feel if you were telling him he had something worth 5k instead of 5 hundy?

Don't want to tell anyone how to be, but I think trying to be a freind to anyone you come across makes you just a bit more important. To me it does.

Not that it matters, but if it's an American one, I think a '97 is worth a couple hundred more than an "80's" one. If it's Japanese, N7 means something else, but it's still not 80's. And Generally the better one's are usually from the 90's as well.

Not important I guess. But I do have to admit I feel a little more important having typed that.

My question to the OP is this: What purpose did it serve you to report this to the seller? OK, so YOU knew what it was. So, what? One could be busy 24/7 "correcting" mistakes in eBay listings, for god's sake. Then, you can turn to Craigslist.....

Think about it.

The purpose that is served is that the seller is misrepresenting the guitar through ignorance. It's polite to inform them of their mistake. If the seller hasn't changed the listing information he is now simply a liar.

My question to the OP is this: What purpose did it serve you to report this to the seller? OK, so YOU knew what it was. So, what? One could be busy 24/7 "correcting" mistakes in eBay listings, for god's sake. Then, you can turn to Craigslist.....

Think about it.

Most people are quite appreciative if you give them info to correct or clarify their auction. I've had stuff for sale on ebay that I wasn't sure about and I welcomed any info that would make the auction text more accurate.

You're right, I could go on hunts and help 'correct' every inaccurate auction. That's not my intent. I happened upon this one and it was clear by his own admission he didn't know what he had and I was only trying to help. Most people would be okay with that.

And I did get a follow up email from him stating he was going to "call Fender tomorrow and find out the truth".

You do that. Do whatever the f*** you like.

"from the 80's I was told". Maybe they are tired of being told when this strat is from by all the strat experts in the world and just want to sell the damn thing, not debate whether Leo tuned it or not.

I'm with Joe Isuzu if he isn't lying. I don't understand riding around on a white horse correcting guitar trivia on ebay. So somebody buys it. So what? So nobody buys it. So what?

rct

Most people are quite appreciative if you give them info to correct or clarify their auction. I've had stuff for sale on ebay that I wasn't sure about and I welcomed any info that would make the auction text more accurate.

You're right, I could go on hunts and help 'correct' every inaccurate auction. That's not my intent. I happened upon this one and it was clear by his own admission he didn't know what he had and I was only trying to help. Most people would be okay with that.

And I did get a follow up email from him stating he was going to "call Fender tomorrow and find out the truth".

You do that. Do whatever the f*** you like.

To hell with the clown. All you did was ask a question,and offered some help. Now if he knows its incorrect, thats nothing short of lying. Who wants to buy some thing from a seller who is lying about the item right from the start.

Try this:

Say you left your interior light on in your truck. You have to go to work, and your battery is dead. You could use a jump.

No one around, you're alone. Maybe knock on a door.

Do you want your neighbor to be this EBAY seller guy, or you want KSDADDY?

I hope all this important stuff I'm saying doesn't go to my head, cause I feel just a bit more important than the last post.

Shopping on ebay tonight someone had a Strat on there... in the subtitle it said something like "from the 80s I was told". The serial number started with N7 so I messaged him and said "The serial number starts with N7, it's a 1997."

His response was "Are you interested in the guitar or are you just trying to look important?"

Wow. that'll teach me to help someone!

Talk about touchy!!! Speaking as a girl, he needs a Midol.

The, "I was told," bit just makes the seller seem uninterested in learning.

Why wouldn't he find out the year before posting? [thumbdn]

Apparently, many people here don't know that most people (probably including themselves) don't appreciate unsolicited advice.

If you're talking about golf, then yeah, maybe. If you're talking about ebay auctions, then my experience says you're just wrong. I've been shopping for Epis on ebay for months. Errors like KSDADDY mentions are actually fairly rare. But I've seen a few and have emailed the seller about it. Like any reasonable person, they've changed the ad and thanked me for the info. Last time, I just asked "Is this really a PRO with probuckers?" It was just a plustop. The guy canceled the auction and relisted with the right info. An ebay seller does not want a buyer saying "Hey, this isn't what you said it was!"

so I messaged him and said "The serial number starts with N7, it's a 1997."

Was that the extent of your message? If so, I know you meant well, but perhaps he thought you were being a smart a** because the message was kind of abrupt. Some people are touchy anyway.

A few years ago I listed an antique car horn from my dad's collection that he had labeled as a Model A horn. I got a nice message from someone politely pointing out why it was not from a Model A. I thanked him and re-listed it stating it was an antique car horn that I originally thought was a Model A, but now was not sure. It still ended up being bid up to close to $100.

Was that the extent of your message? If so, I know you meant well, but perhaps he thought you were being a smart a** because the message was kind of abrupt. Some people are touchy anyway.

Self Quote [blush]

It just occurred to me that this is an example of the "objectivity" that I talked about in the "Logic" thread. Here I am, rather than just supporting my Forum brother, I'm trying to be all objective and see things from the other guys perspective. It's the kind of thing that pisses my wife off. Sorry KSDaddy. [rolleyes]

ks-

I hope this won't turn you off to helping people if you see something that needs correcting.

When I first sold my '81 Kramer Pacer, I told the whole world the body was 100% maple. An eBay-er corrected me (it was alder), and I was grateful. Had I NOT been corrected, and in turn corrected myself, the person who bought it would have a legit complaint.

You did right.

The guy was a ****** you gave him some info not telling him what to do or anything else he should have been thankful it's not like a possible 80's strat is more valuable anyway.

I sometimes will correct somebody especially if it's to their benefit , I know it probably pisses off the people trying to get something at a steal but I would hope somebody would do it for me. I'm a tool junky, so I look for old antique tools all the time several years back I saw a posting for misc lathe tools and in the pile of misc tools were several pieces including a ER Collet and a full set of threading tools for a Unimat SL lathe. They had the parts listed for 35 dollars and had two guys bidding it up in very small amours. Those parts alone are worth easily $1000 dollars. And there was at least another $300 or more in other parts in the pile. I sent a message telling the person that they had a very popular and valuable set of tools worth closer to $1500 than the $50 or so it was looking like they might get since there was two days left. I told the person how to correct the title and a few specific photographs to take rather than just piling everything together. They did and he final bid was $1630 for the misc parts. Now I'm sure I pissed at least the two people trying to make a steal off. But it turned out the seller was a couple of woman who were selling off there dad's tools after his death, they had been ripped off a couple times but not for this kind of money, she messaged back with her email asking if I would be willing to identify a few more items and I said sure and sent her a email contact. Over the next three weeks she did four or five more sales and got good money and had made about 4 or 5k on some very rare watchmaking and jewelry tools. I even bought a tool from her at the end of the auction since I wanted to make sure she got all the money she could. She recognized my name and was mad saying I should have told her I wanted it after everything else she would have given it to me. She finally had gone through the tools and my last contact was a long email telling her how to prepare a antiques watchmakers lathe from Boley for shipping because there very easy to damage, So I went step by step telling her how and what to remove and how to pack it and everything she thanked me and said they were done cleaning out her dad's house and moving home and she was canceling the email address since it was his and on his computer. I thought that was the end. About three weeks later I had a UPS ticket on my door which pissed me off since it's usually the IRS that makes me sign for stuff at least without having orderers something. The next day I was home and UPS delivered four large boxes and yep it was the Boley Lathe as well as a full set of antique watchmakers hand tools including gravers and all kind's of amazing tools. On top was a very nice letter saying they had sold what they could and were tired of people taking advantage of them and her and her sister had decided they wanted the lathe and their dad's hand tools and the things he really cared about to go to someone who knew what they were and how to use them. I was shocked they were amazing tools and in perfect shape. I also found mixed in some valuable coins and other stuff. All that I just set aside hoping someday I could contact the girls and sure enough I got a Christmas card about 18 months later. They just said Hi and hoped I was enjoying the tools still and they still were thankful for my kindness. So I had the address and I shipped back the coins and other valuable knickknacks including two necklaces I had made out of 5 dollar gold pieces I had found in the bottom of a box of tools and finding's. Again they were surprised and thankful and they were thrilled because now they each now had something they could wear that had been their dad's. That was 6 years ago and we still trade christmas cards.

All that because I was able and willing to simply help them out it cost me nothing and if Ive found one truly valuable lesson in my life, it's to be kind and helpful when you can. Life is to short and to hard and Karma well as they say Karma's a ***** and I'd rather have her on my side than playing against me.

Archived