Gibson Brands Forums

Wow, what a nice ebay seller!

ksdaddy

Cool story Retrosurfer. I wish someone would have done the same for me a few years ago.

When I was a kid there was a restaurant right up the road from my house called Gino's, after the old Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti. (after more than 20 years, it has recently been re-opened as a Gino's again) They were the first place I remember serving Kentucky Fried Chicken, before KFC was it's own franchise. Well apparently before I was born, it used to be called Ameche's after another Colt Alan Ameche. I found about 7 or 8 old menus from Ameche's at my dad's house and did some research but couldn't find much info about the menu's value. Now I generally know better, but for some dumb reason I listed them on eBay for a BIN price of about $8 apiece and they sold like hotcakes. I started getting messages asking if I had more, which really set off bells. About 2 weeks later I did another ebay search and saw that one of the guys who bought some off me listed one that got bid up close to $400, for 1 menu! I have not even looked for any more since then because I am afraid of what I will see. [cursing]

That is a great story retro! I fully agree. There is also a buyer beware aspect too. The Gibson applied saying goes "if a Gibson Les Paul that normally is selling for $2,500 is actually selling for $400, and you decide to buy it, then you deserve what you get." The tools are different matter because they truly didn't know. But guitars are something else. Everyone should be able to look up around what something is worth.

Overnight I received a message from a prospective bidder about a guitar I have listed on ebay. It's a trashed Teisco with what I believe to be the desirable Ry Cooder foil pickups. I had googled them and found them to have more than one version as it relates to the chrome covers and polepiece position. He pointed out that the polepieces were in the wrong place, etc. I didn't take issue with his findings simply because I don't KNOW for a fact they are Cooder pups.

So I removed the Ry Cooder reference in the auction title and will let the bidders decide. No offense taken and certainly no claims I can't prove.

At the same time I received a message from a prospective bidder about a high end guitar I have on ebay with a healthy reserve. He said "You know these zero feedback bump your own auction price up drive more possible bidders away. Too bad, for it appears like a nice GE."

I guess he's implying I'm having the auction shilled. Hmmm... I have a reserve and if it doesn't meet the reserve then there's not much point in shilling.

I didn't dignify it with a response. Bit my tongue, counted to 10.

Love it.

I'm still scratching my head on a question I received this morning though. I'm selling an Epi LP and was asked the question... "What color is that? Pics can be deceiving but I don't recognize it. Do you know the original name? Thanks!"

Ummm... I think it's called sunburst?

28bfivb.jpg

Love it.

I'm still scratching my head on a question I received this morning though. I'm selling an Epi LP and was asked the question... "What color is that? Pics can be deceiving but I don't recognize it. Do you know the original name? Thanks!"

Lol...I'm sure he means what specific name of the color Epi called it, what 'type' of burst. It seems that both Gibson and Epi have 101 flavors of the standard 'Sunburst' of the Cherry burst used on the origonal LP.

Problably wants to remember it so he can find another when it comes up, or possibly tell his freinds about it in case they are interested. It IS a pretty guitar.

I don't have a clue, aside from maybe 'Cherry Sunburst', but I have no idea what Epi called it, so...the only answer I can think of, is ..."Do you want to buy it or do you just want to look important?"

Kidding of corse. Thinking creatively, maybe offer him, and only him, a discount if he could tell you.

My friend is the seller on this one. Check out the comment at the bottom and her response to him. Too funny. [lol]

Ebay

Lol..."do you want to buy my 2006 Marshal catalog, or do you want to look important telling me about my ad for the 2006 Marshall catalog while you sell 2006 Marshall catalogs for more than I sell 2006 Marshall catalogs for?'

I know Gibson (et al) have dialed in some very specific sunbursts and holy cow.... I don't want to tell him it's "60s ice tea sunburst as done by Phil" when it's "60s ice tea sunburst as done by Frank".

Unfortunately in 14 years on ebay I have had attempts to paint me into a corner as a seller so they have ammo to balk later. "Does the neck feel like a 1965 Jazzmaster played by Nokie Edwards?" How should I know? "Will I be able to rock out on this guitar?" Sure, dude, knock yourself out but if you don't rock to your level of satisfaction I'm not giving your money back.

I'm surprised one of the Russians haven't asked about it yet. I've sent three over there in the past week.

Speaking of catalogs, I actually bid (and won) a whole pile of Fender Frontline catalogs from the late 90s to more recent times. I need that to try and figure out stuff.... they come out with new models every week seems like. Then they disappear.

I also flipped 5 Jacksons from the 90s. Nice stuff, really nice stuff but about a decade too late. If I could take them back to 1987 I would not have a mortgage.

I just picked up a Korean Parker. I'm not sure I've ever played anything so silky smooth. It's disconcerting to know they can make something that good. And I'm woefully underwhelemd by most guitars I pull off the rack.

29hnwz.jpg

The whole thing with this is that you can ask the seller a question....and if you don't ask a question but make some statement then some sellers (e.g. me!) are going to get a bit uptight...it's seeing it all in print.

A few years back I sold some large Mission hi-fi speakers and totally over-estimated on the postage cost. I got several pompous messages, not questions, on the lines of 'we could have done a deal if you weren't so greedy' etc...well I wasn't being greedy, just mistaken.

Then another guy did ask a question, on the lines of "PLEASE (very important word, that) would you review your postage costs and can we possibly come to a deal as I really want these speakers?" So he was asking politely and I said yes of course we can deal that's the idea, and posted his Q and my response below the ebay ad. Then I took one speaker to work and got the guy in the post room to weigh it so I could accurately calculate postage, gave the interested party the figure and sold him the speakers. The packing took me most of an evening and the buyer was really pleased with them.

The trouble is there are so many smartasses around, not just on the net, but because it's not face-to-face people think they can say whatever they feel like without considering the effect. No. It's in print. We've all seen this happen on this forum.

Best wishes!

...I just picked up a Korean Parker. I'm not sure I've ever played anything so silky smooth. It's disconcerting to know they can make something that good...

I'm sure you already know how much Notes loves his own Parker....

Good Score, ksd!

[thumbup]

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

I have a nice Martin, but if I had to have only one of my two acoustics...I'd pick the Parker. She knows how to cup my right boob [thumbup]

[scared] I don't even know where it was made!

Wouldn't it have been made in the same place as the rest of you? [blush]

Wouldn't it have been made in the same place as the rest of you? [blush]

That was my thought exactly but I tried to be polite for a change. That's probably important but honestly never been one of the things I look for when buying a guitar [lol]

Now fitting on a beer gut so you can play it comfortably yep that's a question.

I understand though Izzy I play guitar for a petite 5'2" young girl that is a singer songwriter quite often, She play's guitar pretty well but she won't play My hummingbird or my D-28 they are too big and she said it felt kind of like having a mammogram after a while.

Love it.

KSDADDY, I hope you dont mind some unsolicited advice. [wink]

I see people at MLP asking about this color all the time, so it doesnt surprise me at all that you were asked the same question on your ebay listing. The problem is that Epiphone's Antique Sunburst, Honeyburst & Vintage Sunburst have all appeared to be the same color at different points in time, mostly during the Korean era. This is not the case quite so much these days, as it seems that Epiphone has sorted out the color discrepancies by having their manufacturing at mostly one plant now.

The best way to tell the actual color is to see if there is a model number on the guitar. The last two letters indicate the color: AS, VS or HB. The only other way to really tell is to determine the year of the guitar and figure out which colors were being produced that year...which can be tricky and may only narrow it down to two color instead of three. But I am of themind that it really doesnt matter what the official name of the color is anyway. If it is a cool color that appeals to you, buy it. Some rarer colors may bump up the value of the guitar a little bit, but none of these colors fall in to that category.

Archived