Gibson Brands Forums

Well, this happened today!

Guitar God

Well, the Fanboy Expo in Knoxville, TN was this weekend. A lot of cool people were there. Friday and Saturday night was Gene Simmons! So, guess what I did? Got tickets and went. Got to see a KISS tribute band called Dressed To Kill and got to attend the Q&A and got my picture taken with the Demon himself. [biggrin]Just got the photo opp. Would liked to have got an autograph, but that was an extra $140 and a picture was more sentimental to me. Gene was very humble and nice. Walked around and interacted with the crowd and there were little kids there and he spent some quality time with them, which I thought was wonderful. Also got t try out his basses, which were on display and the same ones he uses on stage. They were pretty light and the necks were pretty thin. I was surprised at how light they were. Especially the Axe bass, which I thought would be a brick. It has been a dream come true since I started playing guitar at 8 years old! Here is the pic:

oYewPkp.jpg

Great picture. I'm sure it was really cool to meet Gene.

A friend of mine (a girl) recently met Gene at a comic type convention up in Philly and said he was really talkative and friendly. Of course, being a pretty female she got some extra attention. :rolleyes:

Cool pic. I go on the Kiss Kruises every year. KK7 coming up in November. I did the bass class with Gene two years ago on the Kruise and it was so much fun. Gene definitely is the most outgoing of the group. He loves what he does.

Great picture. I'm sure it was really cool to meet Gene.

A friend of mine (a girl) recently met Gene at a comic type convention up in Philly and said he was really talkative and friendly. Of course, being a pretty female she got some extra attention. :rolleyes:

I bet, haha. He was very humble and friendly. He walked around and interacted with the crowd. Some girl went up to him and told him that she had a friend or a family member who was pretty sick and couldn't be there. She has her phone out and Gene grabs it and it's on video or video call and tells everybody to get close together and holds the phone up so it gets him and everybody and says "We are all here for you and we all love you and hope you get better!" and tells us all to say, "Yeah!" and we all did. I thought that was incredible. The girl obviously got emotional. I thought that was so amazing of him to do that.

Cool pic. I go on the Kiss Kruises every year. KK7 coming up in November. I did the bass class with Gene two years ago on the Kruise and it was so much fun. Gene definitely is the most outgoing of the group. He loves what he does.

I bet they are awesome! I'd love to go. How much is it to go? I have seen a vid of the bass class on YouTube. Are you in the vid? I got to check out his basses Friday night and they were awesome. I was surprised at how light they were, especially the Axe bass. I thought the Axe bass would be a brick, but it was pretty light. He is and does! He was very nice and humble. Was outgoing, too.

$140 for an autograph? Disgraceful.

Eh, I really don't think so. There were other people at the event, too, and they were charging for autographs and pics. I wanted to get pics with some other people, but it took 2 1/2 - 3 hours just to print my pic with Gene. I was too exhausted to wait that long. Plus, it was an hour and a half - 2 hour trip.

cool stuff! must have been a blast!

on a side note, i used to live in sullivan county, prettiest place i ever been. tennessee is awesome [thumbup]

It was! Dream come true since I was 8 years old. I started playing at 8 because of KISS, so it was a dream come true. Oh, yeah. It is very beautiful here. How long did you live in Sullivan County?

Is it just me, or does is look like Gene has peed his pants in the pic? Guess he was thrilled to meet you too. [biggrin]

ahaha, no. I got a physical copy of the pic. It was a professional picture. Had to take a pic of a pic so I could upload it online.

KISS is definitely one of the bands who influenced me early and one of the reasons I'm playing guitar. And, not just guitar but the kind of guitars and amps. KISS uses Gibson guitars and Marshall amps because they want the best. When I saw Paul's Flying V, that was the one I wanted for a long time, even though Ace was my favorite. And, that's a big part of the reason I have a Les Paul. $140 for an autograph is a bit painful but if I was there, I probably would have paid it too. I've been a fan for such a long time and those guys aren't getting any younger. Come to think of it, neither am I.

Archived