• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Gibson's ...how are they really?

#21 User is offline   valtyr 

• Group: All Access

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostTwang Gang, on 31 October 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Glad you got the guitar you wanted and are happy with it.

As I recall most of the complaining about 2015 models was from people who never played one or ever had one in their hands. They just read about the wider neck, brass nut, auto-tuners etc. and said they didn't like any of those features. I guess the nut was a problem and Gibson recognized that and was willing to replace them. Also yours is a custom and didn't have some of the things people didn't like about that year (hologram).

I read about the difference in width and wondered why people were making a big deal about it......until I played one. I didn't think a couple millimeters would feel any different, but it did, so I can sympathize a bit with the player who is used to the Gibson neck profiles and wanted an additional guitar with a similar feel. That said, it didn't feel bad, just different. It certainly wasn't unplayable and I don't think it would take much to get used to.

I think the major problem with 2015 was that they tried to push several changes across the whole line without giving players a choice. Offering both the HP and trad lines like they do now is what they should have done.

#22 User is offline   GoldJim 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

I've owned 2 2015 Gibson Les Paul's, and I love both of them: a Traditional (has the robot tuners) and a Gold Top Standard (doesn't have the robot tuners). Love each of them. Don't understand the hate. I have a new 2017 Studio Deluxe IV from GC. Also a great guitar, and I don't understand why people are slamming on them.
-----------------------------------
2000 American Standard Stratocaster
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Placid Purple
2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Golden Pearl
2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute T
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special combo
Fender Blues Junior III (Amethyst)

#23 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

I have done my first string replacement on my 2015 LPC this weekend. Also added some graphite to the nut slots to get rid of the "plinks" when tuning up - works like a charm! The only thing I have been noticing is that when I try to play some "chicken pickin'" music, I noticed my C chord has some sharp notes in it - the fretted notes of the C chord. I depressed the 3rd fret, and noticed that the "relief" over the 1st fret was very minimal, so the nut slots look properly set in terms of depth... No sitar sounds as well as the string is resting pretty much like a zero fret... As well, the strings are not sitting deep into these slots either. Overall, the nut looks to be cut very well. The intonation down the neck is pretty much spot on - octaves are pretty precise on higher frets. What could be going on with these sharp notes on the first 3-5 frets? I know guitar is not a perfect instrument, but these sharp notes are sort of pronounced more so than my other guitars. I am not depressing these notes very hard - in fact, I notice the sharpness when I press like a feather on these frets. This just stifles me what the issue could be here. I am using 10-46 string gauge FYI. I am pretty sure that the neck relief is OK, but we are talking about 1-5 frets here which I think should not be affected by neck relief. Either way, If there is anything else I could add, please feel free to ask. Thanks!
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#24 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 07 November 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I have done my first string replacement on my 2015 LPC this weekend. Also added some graphite to the nut slots to get rid of the "plinks" when tuning up - works like a charm! The only thing I have been noticing is that when I try to play some "chicken pickin'" music, I noticed my C chord has some sharp notes in it - the fretted notes of the C chord. I depressed the 3rd fret, and noticed that the "relief" over the 1st fret was very minimal, so the nut slots look properly set in terms of depth... No sitar sounds as well as the string is resting pretty much like a zero fret... As well, the strings are not sitting deep into these slots either. Overall, the nut looks to be cut very well. The intonation down the neck is pretty much spot on - octaves are pretty precise on higher frets. What could be going on with these sharp notes on the first 3-5 frets? I know guitar is not a perfect instrument, but these sharp notes are sort of pronounced more so than my other guitars. I am not depressing these notes very hard - in fact, I notice the sharpness when I press like a feather on these frets. This just stifles me what the issue could be here. I am using 10-46 string gauge FYI. I am pretty sure that the neck relief is OK, but we are talking about 1-5 frets here which I think should not be affected by neck relief. Either way, If there is anything else I could add, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

LPC ? Is this Custom? If so you dont have the G-Force tuners right?
Does the sharpness show up on a tuner?
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#25 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 07 November 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

LPC ? Is this Custom? If so you dont have the G-Force tuners right?
Does the sharpness show up on a tuner?

Yes, LPC = Les Paul Custom. Sorry for the confusion. I do not have G-Force; I have Grover tuning machines. And on a tuner, the sharpness does show up quite a few Cents off. Just felt like mentioning since this is pretty noticeable on this guitar in particular. I don't want to start filing down the nut slot as I mentioned it looks pretty good when I inspect the spacing under the 1st fret when depressing the 3rd fret. I mean, the string just barely clears the 1st fret when 3rd fret is depressed as many suggest needs to be true.
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#26 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 07 November 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yes, LPC = Les Paul Custom. Sorry for the confusion. I do not have G-Force; I have Grover tuning machines. And on a tuner, the sharpness does show up quite a few Cents off. Just felt like mentioning since this is pretty noticeable on this guitar in particular. I don't want to start filing down the nut slot as I mentioned it looks pretty good when I inspect the spacing under the 1st fret when depressing the 3rd fret. I mean, the string just barely clears the 1st fret when 3rd fret is depressed as many suggest needs to be true.

You have checked everything as far as I can tell. You're obviously experienced. This is a strange one!?
My LP is a little sharp in the same area but thats because I have adjusted the nut unusually high.

Have you thought of checking your set up to Gibson guide spec? I dont have a link for it, but I've followed links on here a couple of times. Worth a check maybe?
my band BLOWN OUT

#27 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 07 November 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

You have checked everything as far as I can tell. You're obviously experienced. This is a strange one!?
My LP is a little sharp in the same area but thats because I have adjusted the nut unusually high.

Have you thought of checking your set up to Gibson guide spec? I dont have a link for it, but I've followed links on here a couple of times. Worth a check maybe?

Thanks for the reply! I will just give this some time to break in. I will also look at the Gibson spec and see what may be out of tolerance with my feeler gauges. I may be just a little over critical since it is a new LP... I just felt like asking because I am trying to avoid an inspection from my trusted luthier I give my patronage to. Just don't want to wait for the guitar to be looked at, waste their time, etc. He is really busy most of the time and typical turn-around time is a coupe weeks minimum. Anyhow, with a "standard" nut, these lower fretted semi-tones are usually not 100% accurate anyhow - any and all guitars without a compensated nut will have "sharpness" persist on these lower frets. I will make it work... This guitar is a good Custom Shop piece, so it most likely is not severely flawed. Anyhow, I appreciate your time at reading about my issue.
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#28 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:42 AM

Thats seems a sensible approach. If you do get to the bottom of it, i'd be curious to know how it went! Good luck. [thumbup]
my band BLOWN OUT

#29 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 08 November 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Thats seems a sensible approach. If you do get to the bottom of it, i'd be curious to know how it went! Good luck. [thumbup]

So, as we know, the guitar inherently has issues with major thirds being "true", so I expect this to be the case 100% of the time. What I was experiencing was a more pronounceable effect the way this LP was set up. I did notice that the tune-o-matic was quite high which visibly seems to make the string under more tension when fretting the notes especially on the lower frets. I lowered this to improve the action as well. So this seemed to improve the issue. Mind you, I have Nighthawks - more Telecaster/Stratocaster like with individual saddles for the strings. I can set a NH up in my sleep... LP's are a bit different - been a while since I have had a LP bridge to work with aside from my old Epi-SG. I don't know if this is in agreement that the bridge height being increased making a bigger angle with the string and fretboard causes the lower frets to become more sharp. I mean, the generic answer to this sharp lower fret issue is the nut slot depth or basically, nut issues, but this is definitely not the case. As I have mentioned, the string is anchored on the nut very, very close to the fretboard with a good angle back to the tuning machines. As well, the height of the string at the nut is very slightly higher than the first fret (3rd fret depression visual inspection via feeler gauge under 1st fret). So overall, tune-o-matic height affects "sharpness" of lower frets due to increased string angle with fretboard. Can this happen? Just want to explain how I may have improved this situation I have been dealing with. Thanks in advance!
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#30 User is offline   Karloff 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

the auto tuners are a joke in my opinion. don't want it, don't need it. the brass nut, I can learn to live with. but I really like the slightly wider neck. they feel nice.
" Early morning sunshine, tells me all I need to know "

Posted Image

#31 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 08 November 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

I don't know if this is in agreement that the bridge height being increased making a bigger angle with the string and fretboard causes the lower frets to become more sharp. I mean, the generic answer to this sharp lower fret issue is the nut slot depth or basically, nut issues, but this is definitely not the case. As I have mentioned, the string is anchored on the nut very, very close to the fretboard with a good angle back to the tuning machines. As well, the height of the string at the nut is very slightly higher than the first fret (3rd fret depression visual inspection via feeler gauge under 1st fret). So overall, tune-o-matic height affects "sharpness" of lower frets due to increased string angle with fretboard. Can this happen? Just want to explain how I may have improved this situation I have been dealing with. Thanks in advance!

I'm of the opinion that it can happen, yes. Or at least theoretically it can, because the string length is increased by raising the bridge.

My Spanish guitar has a very high action and no bridge adjustment. Intonation is a problem when using it (changing from lower to upper frets). It has always seemed to me that the high bridge is the cause.

I would have expected the tuning issue to be relative rather than absolute though. You are describing a definite sharpness at the place where the strings are closest to frets. That is what's puzzling me.

Maybe one of the luthiers here will have better insight? Where's Rabs when you need him?!
my band BLOWN OUT

#32 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

Well, I have been playing this guitar every night that I can. Because it is essentially brand new and I paid "Gibson" money for this, it may be causing me to be more critical of this thing. I figure that I should start playing it for a while more and then start to evaluate this issue after time has been put in on it. For instance, last night, guitar was playing fine... I am not sure how much effect that the bridge height has had to do with this, but the action is improved for sure (lower setting to make it easier to fret)... It's at the point where I almost get vibration to cut out when bends and such are used. To be clear, I do not get strings cutting out on bends, just that I am at that minimum height threshold it seems that I can get the sustain and tone from the bigger bends that I use at times. Saddles are in right position; intonation OK on higher frets... We already talked about the nut slots and that I believe them to be fine per 3rd fret test... The only thing to make sure is alright is the neck relief, but when I use the string as straight-edge, there seems to be a typical amount of relief in the neck - what I would expect as it is on all my guitars that play very well. Either way, as I have mentioned in the past, guitars need to break in... It is an archaic design essentially that has inherent imperfections, and guitar players I guess need to accept these instrumental limitations. Overall, the guitar sounds great and I am sure that these issues are very minor. If I took this thing in to a guitar tech, they would do minimal work to it and report the "all good" when they are done evaluating. I do not think I need to spend money and time for this issue at this point. It sounds very good with a digital piano, so I am not noticing these pitch variances on lower frets as much... When you play the guitar by itself and it's brand new, I guess it is easy to intently focus on the guitar's pitch and the subtle imperfections come out very clearly and "loud" so to speak. but once the accompanying instruments get involved, the guitar sings in tune... Very strange how that works, but it does Posted Image Anyhow, appreciate the feedback!
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#33 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 09 November 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Well, I have been playing this guitar every night that I can. Because it is essentially brand new and I paid "Gibson" money for this, it may be causing me to be more critical of this thing. I figure that I should start playing it for a while more and then start to evaluate this issue after time has been put in on it. For instance, last night, guitar was playing fine...

I'm glad you are enjoying it so much. It makes the $s more than worthwhile!
my band BLOWN OUT

#34 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 10 November 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

I'm glad you are enjoying it so much. It makes the $s more than worthwhile!

I much appreciate the sentiments! For me, a Gibson is the electric guitar of choice. Has been ever since I started playing in 1994. Played this wonderful LP Custom guitar some more last night, and still working out great. Once this thing gets some miles on it, it will become a familiar friend. I think of it as new instrument woes. It is exhilarating to buy a new instrument that has been much anticipated, but once you have it and there are signs of smoke, it takes some time to work out the bugs in the program. Once issues are resolved though, the instrument grows on you.

Breaking in a new instrument is like learning a piece of music. For instance, when I learn how to play, say a Chopin etude (on the piano of course), it is really rough at first. Technique is awful, sound is not musical... just painful! After some time - like months, you get better. After years, you continue the improvement(s)... Oh well, I get into that kind of stuff. These old Nighthawks I have are definitely broken in - like 20+ years broken in... Once my LP Custom gets 20+ years old, I am sure this thing will be a champ. Just need to keep playing this guitar and keep up on the maintenance. Until then, I will await the coming of 2035 Posted Image
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#35 User is offline   212West 

• LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

I can't complain one bit about my 2015 Midtown Standard in Vintage sunburst
it has been refitted at the factory with Grover tuners, was on sale for $999 in December 2015
so I snatched it up. Over the past couple of years it has treated me to the sweetest tones
I have been able to coax out of any guitar, and for country music my friends say 'Bring That One!'
One thick, meaty box delivering the sauce of sound one looks for in that magic one.
Couldn't be happier with it
Gibson SG Standard Wal
Gibson Midtown Standard VS
Gibson Les Paul Tribute'17 HCSB
Epiphone LE ES 335-Pro IT
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 100th Ann. Na
Epiphone Les Paul Custom/Artisan (L.M.)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 'Insp. By' '55
Epiphone Les Paul Std. PTP Bb
Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro VS
Fender Jaguar (6 String) SG
Ampeg PF 800 115/210
Orange CR 35RT

#36 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:43 AM

Get her a professional setup at your luthier's to establish a proper baseline to work with. If you really paid 5.5 grand (USD) for her, you overpaid by 2 grand by the way.
2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."óJol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

#37 User is offline   Eracer_Team 

• More Gear than Tallent

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostLeonard McCoy, on 12 November 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

If you really paid 5.5 grand (USD) for her, you overpaid by 2 grand by the way.

Better do a Google .. a 2015 Les Paul Custom runs between $3999-4900 not 2200

#38 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostLeonard McCoy, on 12 November 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

Get her a professional setup at your luthier's to establish a proper baseline to work with. If you really paid 5.5 grand (USD) for her, you overpaid by 2 grand by the way.

He got a custom shop guitar, he did not get a standard.
Equipment:
I have guitars, amps, pedals, cables, various other things and a strong affinity for short signature lines. . .

#39 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

I believe that I paid a premium, but LP Customs typically start around $4k brand new. My guitar was brand-spanking new. So for the custom figured flame maple top with tri-burst and the 490R/498T combination and speed knobs, this is what you get. It looks nearly the same as the '68 Reissue which are going around $3-$3.5k used, but again, how do I know this guitar isn't a mess and I can get my money back if I don't like it... There are some risks buying used, and I wanted to go all out and buy new guitar. I liked this finish and this is the only place I can find it brand new today. If this guitar costs me a grand more, who cares I guess. It plays great and as I break it in, it is doing me good. There is no way you would have been able to buy this guitar brand new with Gibson Custom Shop case and COA (whoopty doo on cert.) for less than $4k (unless you are in the right place at the right time, but not something to count on). I thought about the solid finish ebony or alpine, but these were starting around $4.3k I believe. I found the extra money worth it for the custom figured maple top. I also got a lot of stuff from GC that saved me a few hundred on various stuff. I received some JBE pickups (mini-hum and single coil) which are Danny Gatton's favorite... The "Mercedes Benz of pickups", and they are... These pickups are over $150 each! I got a high quality Gibson leather strap, 10 packs of DR coated strings, a couple push-pull 500k Audio taper pots (by Gibson for my Nighthawks), a couple "super switches" again for NH's. I mean the grab bag continues... Tusq nut for an Epi-LP I needed to restore... control plate cover for LP that was missing this, 2 sets of vintage Gibson tuners... I made out pretty well in the deal and made up for the few hundred dollars for this thing to constitute a "good" deal. All my guitars have their "issues" resolved with parts that make them play better after this purchase. I believe Mega was saying I should ask for "freebies" to make the deal better. Great advice, I tell you... Thanks!
Typos courtesy of iPhone

#40 User is offline   IanHenry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 13 November 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

I believe that I paid a premium, but LP Customs typically start around $4k brand new. My guitar was brand-spanking new. So for the custom figured flame maple top with tri-burst and the 490R/498T combination and speed knobs, this is what you get. It looks nearly the same as the '68 Reissue which are going around $3-$3.5k used, but again, how do I know this guitar isn't a mess and I can get my money back if I don't like it... There are some risks buying used, and I wanted to go all out and buy new guitar. I liked this finish and this is the only place I can find it brand new today. If this guitar costs me a grand more, who cares I guess. It plays great and as I break it in, it is doing me good. There is no way you would have been able to buy this guitar brand new with Gibson Custom Shop case and COA (whoopty doo on cert.) for less than $4k (unless you are in the right place at the right time, but not something to count on). I thought about the solid finish ebony or alpine, but these were starting around $4.3k I believe. I found the extra money worth it for the custom figured maple top. I also got a lot of stuff from GC that saved me a few hundred on various stuff. I received some JBE pickups (mini-hum and single coil) which are Danny Gatton's favorite... The "Mercedes Benz of pickups", and they are... These pickups are over $150 each! I got a high quality Gibson leather strap, 10 packs of DR coated strings, a couple push-pull 500k Audio taper pots (by Gibson for my Nighthawks), a couple "super switches" again for NH's. I mean the grab bag continues... Tusq nut for an Epi-LP I needed to restore... control plate cover for LP that was missing this, 2 sets of vintage Gibson tuners... I made out pretty well in the deal and made up for the few hundred dollars for this thing to constitute a "good" deal. All my guitars have their "issues" resolved with parts that make them play better after this purchase. I believe Mega was saying I should ask for "freebies" to make the deal better. Great advice, I tell you... Thanks!

Chris, the main point is that you paid what you were happy with, if it's the right guitar for you then you've got to pay whatever it takes to secure it. Life's to short to waste waiting for the next one that comes along.

Regards,
Ian

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users